Telecaster socket

What's Hot
gpw5150gpw5150 Frets: 23
Hi all,

new member!

could someone lend me the tool or help me with installing a telecaster claw and clamp in a new body?

there is a tool for it, but £45 seems steep for a one off piece of work and I am a skinflint, but prepared to pay for a few pints!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4558
    Bin it and get an Electrosocket.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    Get a Rutters cup. Even better than Electrosocket cos you can use Witchcraft jacks with it
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • gpw5150gpw5150 Frets: 23
    Get a Rutters cup. Even better than Electrosocket cos you can use Witchcraft jacks with it
    Thanks - will take a look.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23009
    I'm all in favour of Witchcraft.

Witchcraft Album Patch  Witchcraft Band
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    Philly_Q said:
    I'm all in favour of Witchcraft.

Witchcraft Album Patch  Witchcraft Band
    Ah beans. Still, witches sound like fun people :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 977
    Bin it and get an Electrosocket.
    I got one of these for my tele, works well and was easy to install. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    Leo Fender's design for the Telecaster jack socket mounting is the proof that God is fallible.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9668
    I’ve had several Teles with standard sockets and never had a problem, maybe I’ve been lucky. I have fitted an Electrosocket to one though, and if one failed, I would replace it with an Electrosocket.
    I am a big fan of vintage vibe, hence looking at fitting vintage parts.  I have never had a tele jack fail in 30 odd years, but will look at some of the options
    If you are determined to fit the original type, you don’t actually need any special tools - a bolt and a nut of the right size to go through the jack hole, and a socket to tighten it are all you need.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    If you are determined to fit the original type, you don’t actually need any special tools - a bolt and a nut of the right size to go through the jack hole, and a socket to tighten it are all you need.
    The claw needs to be fitted into the hole in the wood - it uses a compression tool that expands the claw into the wood within the hole.  Then I can mount the cup and jack socket to the claw.
    edited April 25
    gpw5150 said:

The claw needs to be fitted into the hole in the wood - it uses a compression tool that expands the claw into the wood within the hole.  Then I can mount the cup and jack socket to the claw.
    You just need to bend the claw enough that it will fit into the hole, then use the cup and the nut and bolt to flatten it out so it digs into the wood.

I have done this a lot... the Electrosocket is still the better solution.

ICBM said:
    gpw5150 said:

You just need to bend the claw enough that it will fit into the hole, then use the cup and the nut and bolt to flatten it out so it digs into the wood.

I have done this a lot... the Electrosocket is still the better solution.
    Ah, i see what you are saying.  Will give it a go.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7349
    Fix Vintage style cup and clip using a tool improvised from everyday parts:

Replacing the vintage style cup and clip with an Electrosocket:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10564
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Leo Fender's design for the Telecaster jack socket mounting is the proof that God is fallible.
    Absolutely this ... bin it and fit one of the alternatives suggested. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7349
    I should point out that for the 2nd video I wasn't necessarily advocating the "Pure Tone" multi-contact electrical socket, but they've come down in price to a respectable level and you might be just as well using one at the same time as switching to an electrosocket plate.  They're only about £6 now.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23009
    The Electrosocket is probably the best solution, but just as an alternative I often mention the Glendale jack cup in these threads, just because I have used them.  It just taps into place. 

I think the Glendale looks nicer (and I guess more "vintage") than the Electrosocket, but it's a tight fit and there is a risk of cracking the finish.  I bought two - one fit perfectly, the other also fit well but did leave some very fine, almost invisible cracks in the paint at the edges of the hole.

https://glendaleguitars.com/hardware/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom