Blood Sugar Sex Magik

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2330
    I'm revisiting all the albums in sequential order this morning - got as far as Mother's milk.  I still think all the 80s records a pretty mediocre and John Frusciante hasn't really come into his own yet on Mother's milk.  

It's a while since I've listened to the post BSSM albums so I'm looking forward to revisiting them now.  I always thought Californication and By the Way were ok albums but kind of watered down and less funky.  Scar Tissue and By the Way are great songs though.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    chris78 said:
    BSSM is a great album, but frankly whether it’s BSSM, Californication, By The Way, Stadium Arcadium or the more recent stuff, they seem to release everything they’ve written, rather than consider whether it’s any good.
    Even on californication, which is probably the album that’s the most complete, they could have made an even better 8 track album. The last 2 albums are the same- there’s one great album in there of 8-10 tracks
    Completely agree. A firmer producer who forces them to edit themselves would help. Taylor Swift is the same - Midnights and TTPD are both WAY too long. 

Same for Ryan Adams too, tho in his case it’s that he just spunks out sensibly-lengthed albums but puts out like 3 a year rather than picking the best 3 songs off each and put out one really amazing record every other year. 
    I don't mind a bit filler to be honest.  People also complain about films being too long but I'm disappointed if it's only 90 mins long.     :)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24993
    Fishboy7 said:
    chris78 said:
    BSSM is a great album, but frankly whether it’s BSSM, Californication, By The Way, Stadium Arcadium or the more recent stuff, they seem to release everything they’ve written, rather than consider whether it’s any good.
    Even on californication, which is probably the album that’s the most complete, they could have made an even better 8 track album. The last 2 albums are the same- there’s one great album in there of 8-10 tracks
    Completely agree. A firmer producer who forces them to edit themselves would help. Taylor Swift is the same - Midnights and TTPD are both WAY too long. 

Same for Ryan Adams too, tho in his case it’s that he just spunks out sensibly-lengthed albums but puts out like 3 a year rather than picking the best 3 songs off each and put out one really amazing record every other year. 
    I don't mind a bit filler to be honest.  People also complain about films being too long but I'm disappointed if it's only 90 mins long.     :)
    I don't mind some filler on '60s and '70s albums because that's the way they worked in those days, two albums a year, like clockwork.  Nowadays some artists take five years between albums and put out everything they wrote in that time, and half of it sounds like demos.  I'd rather have 45 minutes of the best stuff, recorded and produced to the highest standard they can manage.  Put the other crap on the future deluxe edition, if you really must.

And most films nowadays are way too long.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4153
    If you listen to comparable bands from the 90’s (Jane’s Addiction, I’m looking at you) there are obvious similarities to the, dare I say, crappy tunes of the RHCP from the same era. I still maintain my love for all of that RHCP back catalogue though. It’s just where music of that ilk/genre was at the time. It was evolving. Maybe it hasn’t aged as well as e.g. Californication but it was 1984-1990. Not 1999.

Whichever way you look at it, those of us who’ve lived through it are blessed. Bloody amazing times for music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    edited May 9
    ICBM said:
    It's good, but I prefer Californication, By The Way (especially) and even Stadium Arcadium - I like the more melodic, less funky side of them. I'm unfashionable again, I know...
    Have they remastered that yet?
    (Since it tried to win the loudness war)

Loudness war - Wikipedia

Ah, it seems so
    After downloading the remastered Californication, I wanted to see the comparison. Perfect example of the Loudness War. : r/RedHotChiliPeppers (reddit.com)

Deadman said:
    If you listen to comparable bands from the 90’s (Jane’s Addiction, I’m looking at you) there are obvious similarities to the, dare I say, crappy tunes of the RHCP from the same era. I still maintain my love for all of that RHCP back catalogue though. It’s just where music of that ilk/genre was at the time. It was evolving. Maybe it hasn’t aged as well as e.g. Californication but it was 1984-1990. Not 1999.

Whichever way you look at it, those of us who’ve lived through it are blessed. Bloody amazing times for music.
    I think you're definitely right - Early RHCPs, and bands like Primus, Jane's Addiction etc were pretty unique to that time.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom