ThorpyFX Buckmeister... [edit: Electric Lightning]

What's Hot

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3922
    Congrats, @ThorpyFX on what sounds like another stellar dirt box.

Great to see a valve being used. It makes so much sense.

Any reason why there's no switch to put the boost before/after drive to increase versatility on this pedal and The Dane?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6233
    tFB Trader
    TimmyO said:

mbabst said:
    For anyone with a Cioks DC7 power supply like me, there is the Cioks Crux in case the 500mA@12V aren‘t enough. The Crux takes the 24V out of the main supply and gives you 2000mA@12V. You could also use the Cioks 8800 parallel adapter Flex to combine two outputs.

@ThorpyFX Order placed, I‘m pretty sure it sounds  killer with my Bartel amp.

Is it based on a BB circuit?
    Let us know if you try it on an un-augmented DC7 12v output - on the off chance it works... 
    it works without the Crux.... Just tried. so CIOKS DC7 unaugmented 12V output is a go. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

willo said:
    Ola Mr @ThorpyFX - this sounds great. Could it add a nice bit of valve feel/response if put in front of a modeller? 
    Absolutely, i guess just make sure you have a cab modelled and away you go...
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:
    jpttaylor said:
    Good to see a pedal with a valve in that actually makes a difference to the sound. I'm sure I remember a load of pedals coming out 10-15 years ago that had valves in, all boasted having tube harmonics, sag etc. when they operated at 9v DC which basically meant it did nothing.
    Kingsley valve pedals operate at 9V. They're not too shabby.
    they are far from shabby, i am a massive fan of Kingsley pedals.
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 261
    This looks great and nice to see a valve in a pedal that’s obtainable within the uk.
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:

Any reason why there's no switch to put the boost before/after drive to increase versatility on this pedal and The Dane?
    Honestly because for both artists that didn't make sense. And tbh I agree for the following reasons. Boost before drive (in the EL case and Dane case) adds saturation and some EQ to the drive sound this makes both sides more versatile and means you have levels to your gain staging. The boost circuit in both of these pedals is super high headroom so pushing a drive into the boost does nothing but make the drive obscenely loud which considering we put loads of volume into the drive side already makes no sense to do. Think of it like this, in a lot of amp designs the second channel adds 1 or 2 more halves of a preamp tube for more saturation. I know of no 100W amp that has a channel that makes the 100W jump to 200W.

If this was a dual drive or fuzz/drive pedal... we'd probably put a switching system in place to allow you to have different characters from the different order.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27378
    Re the valve thing… 

I know Thorpy is a fan of Kingsley stuff, and I’m also a big fan of Kingsley stuff. So my logic is this must be at least as good as that level otherwise it wouldn’t see the light of day. And if that’s the case then it’s going to be something very special indeed 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1159
    Lebarque said:
    jpttaylor said:
    Good to see a pedal with a valve in that actually makes a difference to the sound. I'm sure I remember a load of pedals coming out 10-15 years ago that had valves in, all boasted having tube harmonics, sag etc. when they operated at 9v DC which basically meant it did nothing.
    Don’t the Kingsley pedals boost that voltage internally? Think I’ve read somewhere (possibly in this thread) that the Electric Lightning is also boosting the voltage internally, think jpttaylor’s post is meaning ones that just run the valve at 9v, rather than the pedal as a whole. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7600
    ThorpyFX said:
    TimmyO said:

mbabst said:
    For anyone with a Cioks DC7 power supply like me, there is the Cioks Crux in case the 500mA@12V aren‘t enough. The Crux takes the 24V out of the main supply and gives you 2000mA@12V. You could also use the Cioks 8800 parallel adapter Flex to combine two outputs.

Let us know if you try it on an un-augmented DC7 12v output - on the off chance it works... 
    it works without the Crux.... Just tried. so CIOKS DC7 unaugmented 12V output is a go. 
    Fab, thanks. That would be a good thing to get out there (TGP and whatnot - don’t go there myself) 

Appreciate you checking! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • gatheredinsonggatheredinsong Frets: 664
    TimmyO said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    TimmyO said:

mbabst said:

Fab, thanks. That would be a good thing to get out there (TGP and whatnot - don’t go there myself) 

Appreciate you checking! 
    Darn, I thought for half a second there that offering to try it was my route to getting one straight away.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5192
    ThorpyFX said:
    TimmyO said:

mbabst said:

I have Cioks DC7….that’s not gonna be good for my bank balance  :#
    Alex2678 said:
    Lebarque said:
    jpttaylor said:
    Don’t the Kingsley pedals boost that voltage internally? Think I’ve read somewhere (possibly in this thread) that the Electric Lightning is also boosting the voltage internally, think jpttaylor’s post is meaning ones that just run the valve at 9v, rather than the pedal as a whole. 
    Aha
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    Lebarque said:

Honestly because for both artists that didn't make sense. And tbh I agree for the following reasons. Boost before drive (in the EL case and Dane case) adds saturation and some EQ to the drive sound this makes both sides more versatile and means you have levels to your gain staging. The boost circuit in both of these pedals is super high headroom so pushing a drive into the boost does nothing but make the drive obscenely loud which considering we put loads of volume into the drive side already makes no sense to do. Think of it like this, in a lot of amp designs the second channel adds 1 or 2 more halves of a preamp tube for more saturation. I know of no 100W amp that has a channel that makes the 100W jump to 200W.

If this was a dual drive or fuzz/drive pedal... we'd probably put a switching system in place to allow you to have different characters from the different order.
    Understood, cheers. I only mentioned since I like to use a boost after drive to give me a volume lift for solos.

Ever thought of including a treble control on a boost (as well as bass) or not needed in your view?

Congrats again. Would love to have a go on one of these. 
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    Lebarque said:

Understood, cheers. I only mentioned since I like to use a boost after drive to give me a volume lift for solos.

Ever thought of including a treble control on a boost (as well as bass) or not needed in your view?

Congrats again. Would love to have a go on one of these. 
    treble on a boost... try our have blue, thats what we did for that 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mbabstmbabst Frets: 4
    edited May 1
    ThorpyFX said:
    TimmyO said:

mbabst said:

Great, thanks a lot @ThorpyFX
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3639
    Why can I imagine Clutch hollering 'ELECTRIC LIGHTNING, BABY!'
    tFB Trader
    Stefan has done an excellent run down of the Electric Lightning here, if you’ve missed any salient points or want to have a deep dive analysis…. Check it out 

https://www.guitarpedalx.com/news/gpx-blog/chris-bucks-signature-thorpyfx-electric-lighting-plexi-style-tube-preamp-suitably-delivers-exquisite-tube-tones-alongside-superior-dynamics

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27378
    Mine came at the weekend. Haven't had much time with it yet, but the initial "2 minutes to check it works" turned into a good 30 mins or so, which I'm taking as a good sign :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    tFB Trader
    Mine came at the weekend. Haven't had much time with it yet, but the initial "2 minutes to check it works" turned into a good 30 mins or so, which I'm taking as a good sign :) 
    this has been the danger with randomly picking (already balanced and tested) units out of the production line for a one on one check with me... Its literally stealing time form me in the best possible way. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom