1970's Gibson SG's

What's Hot
supessupes Frets: 183
edited April 26 in Guitar
1970's Gibson SG's - I really like the look of them and quite fancy one. However, what puts me off is the fretboard. Does anyone know if all the early 70's SG's had an ebony board? because that's all i can find!

i've had a couple of guitars with ebony fretboards and i just can't get away with them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23009
    edited April 26
    supes said:
    1970's Gibson SG's - I really like the look of them and quite fancy one. However, what puts me off is the fretboard. Does anyone know if all the early 70's SG's had an ivory board? because that's all i can find!

i've had a couple of guitars with ivory fretboards and i just can't get away with them.

Ivory?  Do you mean ebony?

Paul McCartney  Stevie Wonder - Ebony And Ivory Official Alternate Video  Remastered - YouTube
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • supessupes Frets: 183
    Thanks @Philly_Q  :)
    I think some of the early '70s models did have ebony boards, but there were certainly rosewood-board models too, for example:

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72505
    Philly_Q said:
    I think some of the early '70s models did have ebony boards, but there were certainly rosewood-board models too, for example:

Did those all have the goof hiders around the pickups? I can't remember... truly abysmal quality control if they were needed even for routs that are covered by pickup surrounds.

I also had one of these absolute abominations -

- which I bought for £50 sans pickguard, strings and bridge, and with a ragged DiMarzio-shaped hole where the bridge pickup used to be. I filled all the routs with wood, veneered over the top, re-routed it as an SG Standard with all the normal hardware and painted it cherry red.

It was still shit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 546
    If the SGWiki is to be trusted the unbound Ebony boards only featured on the SG Standard for a short period, from early/mid 1973 until late 1974 when rosewood with binding returned.
    HerrMetal said:
    If the SGWiki is to be trusted the unbound Ebony boards only featured on the SG Standard for a short period, from early/mid 1973 until late 1974 when rosewood with binding returned.
    I was looking at that earlier and couldn't find that spec - but in my mind's eye I was picturing 1970s SGs with unbound ebony boards.
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    ICBM said:
    Did those all have the goof hiders around the pickups? I can't remember... truly abysmal quality control if they were needed even for routs that are covered by pickup surrounds.
    Good question, I don't think they all had goof hiders, but what's going on with the third one here?  Those mounting rings are huge.

CDN media

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18887
    Definitely a very personal preference thing.
    To me, ebony is the perfect fretboard wood & would always be considered a desirable upgrade.
    YMMV  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • supessupes Frets: 183
    Definitely a very personal preference thing.
    To me, ebony is the perfect fretboard wood & would always be considered a desirable upgrade.
    YMMV  ;)
    I'm sure it's not the case, but the ones i've played feel like a "slow" fretboard, and felt harder to play at speed. I've tried a couple and just can't get away with them. Other SG's i've played have killer necks!
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7057
    edited April 26 tFB Trader
    I had a 73 SG here the other week and the owner was convinced the pickup routs had been enlarged because you could see them either side of the pickup surround. They were just very badly manufactured.

I refretted it and made it into a really nice playing guitar. The embossed pickups were long gone and replaced with burstbuckers 1&2.

Rosewood by the way!
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1597
    edited April 26
    Philly_Q said:

CDN media

I really don't like the plastic panel that holds the volume and tone controls there, but that thing has a flippin' really nice grain pattern. I could definitely live with that