Replacement 500k pot for Pro Mod Charvel San Dimas?

What's Hot
noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 799
I want to take out the push-pull coil split volume on my San Dimas as I never use the splits and I want to make the cavity a bit less of a rat’s nest.

Anyone recommend a replacement with the same size shaft (arf) so the existing knob (fnerk) will still fit? Do I need anything else E.g. resistors/capacitors? There’s a treble bypass widget on the existing pot that I’ll probably transfer over. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14511
    Bourns, DiMarzio Pro Parts, Six String Supplies.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7349
    edited April 27
    Measure the length and diameter of the threaded collar on the existing volume pot and buy a replacement one of the same value and matching dimensions.  If your model of guitar has the knurled metal knobs with a grub screw to secure the knob to the pot shaft, then you can buy a solid shaft or split-shaft pot.  The length of the threaded collar is important.  If you buy one with a short collar intended for mounting on a scratchplate it most likely won't be long enough to go through the hole in the body and leave any thread to secure it with a washer and nut.  Buying a long shaft one will usually be OK as there should be enough space in the cavity but you would need an extra nut to wind up the threads of the shaft so the threads of the collar give just enough space for the washer and nut on the outside but not too much.  Normal / standard pot collar length on USA spec ("CTS-compatible") pots is 3/8" / 9.5mm and long collars are 3/4" / 18mm.  Collar diameter on USA spec pots is 3/8" / 9.5mm while the collar diameter on metric "import" pots is 7.8mm on many of the cheaper ones or 9.5mm on most of the better ones.  USA-spec (CTS-compatible) pots will have 24 splines on the end of the shaft for matching USA spec knobs, while metric (import) ones have 18 splines.  Both will have the same diameter of splined area at the end (6mm).  Bourns pots tend to have a very loose / light rotational friction, CTS middle of the road, and Alpha have a tighter less "spinny" feel to them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 799
    Thanks @Funkfingers and @BillDL, I’ve placed an order.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom