Tone isn't important

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5592
    edited April 29
    Possibly @menamestom is talking about the likes of Martin's Authentic models, which are shameless copies of their pre-war instruments at incredibly high prices. I've never tried one for myself. My assumption is that they are very nice instruments (after all, Martin can make a very nice guitar when they put their minds to it) but who on Earth in his right mind would pay extra for a product which deliberately avoids using the best available technology? 

If I'm going to spend top dollar on a Martin, I want the best guitar they know how to build for that budget, not the nearest copy they can manage of the best guitar they could build in 1937 with a much lower budget, far less knowledge, and grossly inferior technology. 

When I say "a £4k instrument" I mean that as shorthand for "a very well-made guitar where (within reason) cost is not a limitation". I'm not talking about low-tech copies of old models or  
    £2k guitars with extra bling.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 246
    Ah, yes I see. In that case I agree with you.
     :)

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4736

I was thinking about companies like Waterloo copies of Stella's, Kay's, Harmony and Kalamazoo's, things like that.  And yeah I guess Martin also with historical recreations of their own back catalog.  Waterloo with the copying of the sloppy glue application etc.  expensive copies of cheaper ladder braced brands.  That said I'm sure they are fine instruments, if you are after that particular sound.  

Tannin said:

When I say "a £4k instrument" I mean that as shorthand for "a very well-made guitar where (within reason) cost is not a limitation". I'm not talking about low-tech copies of old models or  £2k guitars with extra bling.

Understood, that makes sense.  What I've mentioned is very much a niche.  
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4736

For me playability is one of the most important things.  The little Eastman I've just bought is a revelation playability wise.  a 46mm nut and 60mm string spacing.  Parts I have often struggled with are suddely easier.  So I will end up playing more steel string acoustic.   And the more I practise, the better my tone gets.

I've played loads of expensive instruments that seem to have everything sound wise, but the neck is really narrow or the body uncomfortable for longer periods.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 237
    So many of the words used could be interpreted by different people to mean different things.

To me, there is some contradiction as I would consider consistency to itself be a quality (in the sense of an attribute) or even a measure of quality (in the sense of the standard of something as measured against other things of a similar kind).

Your definition of "quality tone" therefore appears narrower than mine so I don't think I agree with you, although I do admit I'm a bit confused about the point you were making! That could just be my abilities of comprehension though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom