Quality gig bag or case for an SG?

What's Hot
supessupes Frets: 183
I'm trying to make my gig rig as light/small as possible. I've ditched my amp/cabs/combo's and gone digital and loving using a modeller. 

I've moved from Les Paul's to SG's, and again loving the switch. 

I want to use a quality gig bag rather than a hardcase, but i'm having trouble finding one that fits properly. It's a Gibson '61 re-issue, if's very slim. 

Tried a Gator lightweight case but the SG moves around inside. Far more than looks safe!

Tried a Mono M80 and the SG just moves around too much in it. The body slides around, and the neck angle seems a bit severe. I wouldn't trust it as just picking up the bag the SG slides around. 

Don't mind the cost as long as it protects it properly.

Any suggestions for a lightweight case/bag for a slim SG? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Pete.RPete.R Frets: 401
    edited April 27
    Most hardcases are cheaper than the repair of a broken headstock....
    All of my set-neck guitars are living in a hardcase, most bolt-on live in a good gigbag
    there are (cheaper) €pi cases or even the house-brands of some big stores should do the Job

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5059
    Hiscox do a case specifically for SGs, worth keeping a look out for a used one. It’s not a soft case obviously but very lightweight and very protective. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • supessupes Frets: 183
    @Pete.R thanks for the reply. I have a Gibson hardcase but I'm looking for something a bit lighter. I'm not looking for a cheap alternative. I'm looking for good, lightweight protection that fits a slim SG snugly. Happy to pay for it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @fretfinder ;

Does it fit nice and snug? The Gator was advertised for the SG but it was too big on either side, maybe 1.5" each side gap.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    I was looking for one for my SG a while ago and saw the Boss one is pictured with an SG. Never ended up getting one in the end as I've stopped gigging for the foreseeable!

https://www.boss.info/us/products/cb-eg20/
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5059
    supes said:
    Thanks @fretfinder ;

Does it fit nice and snug? The Gator was advertised for the SG but it was too big on either side, maybe 1.5" each side gap.
    I couldn’t say as I’ve only used a Hiscox SG case for a Gibson LP Junior Double Cut, and that was a very snug fit.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27164
    I've used my Mono loads with my SG Standard (classic, not Vertigo). It's excellent. 

I wouldn't trust the Gibson ones - even the chunky one with neck support looks flimsy. That Boss one looks v good though. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Thanks for the suggestions all. I think i'll give the Hiscox a try next :) 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9725
    edited April 28
    If you want smaller lighter gear then get a Mustang or Jaguar and a gigbag. ;-)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    @HAL9000 i've got a couple of SG's weighing 6lb, they're light enough! I like Gibson scale length too.
  • InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 289
    edited April 28
    I recently bought one of these for my SG:

It's very nice indeed. I found them impossible to buy new for a decent price (it seems they are no longer made, and new stocks have dried up), so I bought a nearly-new example - I wanted that particular type of case.

Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10585
    tFB Trader
    Pete.R said:
    Most hardcases are cheaper than the repair of a broken headstock....
    All of my set-neck guitars are living in a hardcase, most bolt-on live in a good gigbag
    there are (cheaper) €pi cases or even the house-brands of some big stores should do the Job

I have to say there is no way I'd put a set neck - particularly a Gibson in a soft or even semi soft case. It is ridiculously easy to wipe off a SG or LP headstock ... I've done it twice in my career ... and as @Pete.R says ... a hard case is cheaper than a headstock repair.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27164
    Yeah Hiscox are also great. I had my SG in one of those for years 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 797
    Last year I bought a TGi extreme gig bag for my bass and I'm impressed with the padding and now light the bag is. 

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/TGI-Extreme-Series-Electric-Guitar-Gig-Bag/2WP7
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72530
    I would say it's more to do with what you want to use it for - a hard case isn't better than a *really good* gig bag, it's for a different job. If you're going to put in a van or somewhere else it may get weight put on it or otherwise compressed, you want a hard case. If you're going to carry it on public transport you want a gig bag. It's not about being 'cheaper' - in fact, a really good bag is actually more expensive than a hard case.

Gig bags *without really good neck support* and Gibsons are a bad combination and will likely end in tears. I'm not familiar with the brown leather type above, but it does have a support. The ones Gibson themselves used to sell with Les Paul Studios were some of the worst - not only no neck support, but the case was stiff enough that it would put significant stress on the headstock even *without* dropping it. Really poor, and responsible for a huge number of broken headstocks.

I happily carry my vintage Rickenbacker bass on the bus or in my car in a Mono gig bag and don't worry about it all - but if it was going in a van, I'd get a Hiscox. I sold the original hard case to a collector because it was a waste of space - heavy and awkward to carry, but not strong enough to properly protect the bass... and fragile enough that getting damaged itself was a strong possibility.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7915
    I bought one of these recently. 

Super impressed with the level of padding and protection offered, and it’s fantastic build quality. 

A massive bargain for the money. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4868
    These aren't cheap but they're exceptionally good bags, adjustable inside for most guitars, and loads of padding.

https://www.fusion-bags.com/products/urban-electric-guitar-gig-bag

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.