Troubleshooting a wordpress site

What's Hot
relic245relic245 Frets: 963
We have a basic band website at 

gigantic-band.co.uk it's word press site. 

I've had about 10 people over the weekend who tell me that they can't get to the site. 

I've tried sending them to

gigantic-band.co.uk
www.gigantic-band.co.uk
http://gigantic-band.co.uk
http://www.gigantic-band.co.uk

No avail - they say that the message says something about headers not being correct. 

I've had the same thing several times myself but seems to be working at the moment, even though it's not for them. 

I'm guessing its something to do with how I've got it configured. Anything I can look at? I'm relatively proficient tech wise and can ssh in and look at files directly etc. 

It's hosted on ionis - i have an unlimited package with them and this is the only site that seems to be having problems.  We've had the site for over a year and it's only recently that it's started having problems. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4141
    There's no ssl for a start, maybe that's why it's being blocked. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    edited April 29
    The links work for me - iPhone and Safari.

But getting the site secure as per @fastonebaz comments would be a good idea. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12005
    Works fine for me - but sort out your SSL - literally no excuse to not have that these days - should be a tick box with your hosting company, at least it is with Fasthosts who I use, and often included in your hosting package.

The common cause of issues I've had with Wordpress is components it's dependent on (like PHP) going out of the compatible versions - usually fixed by simply upgrading Wordpress - but that's not your issue here.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 963
    literally no excuse to not have that these days - should be a tick box with your hosting company, at least it is with Fasthosts who I use, and often included in your hosting package.

Sadly it's not a tickbox with Ionis. 

Well it is, but that tickbox costs £25 per year per domain. 
    relic245 said:
    literally no excuse to not have that these days - should be a tick box with your hosting company, at least it is with Fasthosts who I use, and often included in your hosting package.

Sadly it's not a tickbox with Ionis. 

Well it is, but that tickbox costs £25 per year per domain. 
    Given that a lot of browsers will run a mile without SSL, worth the investment for the extra traffic :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7580
    The issue for those users won’t be header as in “Wordpress site header” it’ll be http security headers.

If moving away from Ionos is relatively easy/something you’re prepared to do (can use one of the Wordpress backup plugins to backup and restore to the new place) then as someone said the vast majority of Wordpress hosting includes a free SSL certificate 
    Red ones are better. 
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 963
    Thanks for all the input. 

Just bitten the bullet and bought a cert so we're now ssl compliant. 

Moving from Ionis is not an option at the moment. 

I've got about 25 domains hosted with them, and about 12 have sites on the end of them. 

It will happen at some point (as will the move away from wordpress) but not my number 1 focus right now.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 615
    Let's Encrypt provides free certificates if the admin panel lets you upload your own.

Updating is the part you'd need to figure out. I'd guess modern WordPress admin makes that easy to do that.
    Looking good now.

That Blue Tele looks lovely.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2093
    edited April 29
    The links work for me but just as a pointer....I also binned Ionis after about a month, they continually bombarded me with upgrade offers and after a quick Reddit search I found them to be a raw deal, Im now with Krystal hosting  which is far better.

I also found the vids on your site very slow to load, not sure if this is to do with their servers or what.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview