AllParts Neck Tuner Holes

What's Hot

Are of interesting dimensions...

Tuning peg hole diameter is .340" (8.6mm) at the front.

but they are smaller at the back at approx 6.4mm - possibly to provide support for the tuner posts...?

So I wonder - is it worth reaming out the holes at the back to 8mm or so facilitate removal of the tuner bushings if required in the future? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7391
    edited April 29
    If it's the Strat neck that you had problems with stain, then it's been bored out for Kluson style vintage tuners with the ferrules that push fit into the holes at the front of the headstock.  The outside diameter of the fluted part of the tuner ferrules is normally 9mm, so the hole is narrower by 0.4mm to allow for the ferrule to grip the wood without taking excessive force to press it in.  The tuning posts of those vintage style tuners is usually around 6mm, but this can vary between manufacturer where the ferrules that come with one set may be marginally too narrow or larger than the posts on tuners from other brands.  So yes, I suppose the diameter of the hole in the rear is intended to provide some support for the post but allow a little bit of latitude for variances in post thickness and mounting positions.

If you're fitting vintage style split-post Kluson type tuners I would leave the diameter as it is.  You will still have space to push out the bushings from the rear if you ever need to (eg. swapping to enclosed tuners) with something like a flat-blade screwdriver being tapped in around the circumference of the end of the bushing.  People have different methods for pushing out the bushings.  If you decided to choose the method of a rod of about 8 or 9 mm in diameter from the rear, then you would obviously need to have the rear holes bored out as and when you need to.  I tent to insert a screwdriver or metal rod from the front and rotate it in the ferrule with gentle pressure to loosen it, then use a wooden dowel about 5mm in diameter through the rear to catch the edge of the ferrule and tap it out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom