marshall bluesbreaker any good?

What's Hot
thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2374
seen this, which is quite near me.. got some money in my pocket as I just sold a sf pro reverb.

couple of questions:
1. Are they reliable?
2. Do they sound great both alone and with pedals?   were the 90's versions based ont the bassman?
3 are they flexible ie can i get a good crunch as well as a sparkling clean.?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1680
    I've had one and a mate gigs one all the time, never had any issues with reliability.

They do take pedals well. They are not an exact recreation circuitwise of the original, but fairly close.

To get them to crunch they have to be turned right up and they are hellish loud at that point. I wouldn't say they are sparkly clean, but a decent vintage Marshall clean can be had.

The 90's ones were not the correct depth cabinet, they were too thin. Marshall corrected this in the later model.

Rob
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    Ah - the Backbreaker... an amp that has more kudos than usuable tones
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Lovey lovely amps, not versatile without a few pedals, and do get squishy with very high gain sounds so not really for metal, but I'm guessing its unlikely that you're looking at one for this As ossyrocks says, for crunch they need to be wound up, but can be modded easily to add a master volume
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2374
    oh well, that kills that then!! cheers fellas.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    thomasw88 said:
    seen this, which is quite near me.. got some money in my pocket as I just sold a sf pro reverb.

couple of questions:
    1. Are they reliable?
    2. Do they sound great both alone and with pedals?   were the 90's versions based ont the bassman?
    1 - yes, they are among the best-made of all modern Marshall amps, roughly equivalent in construction to the late-70s JMPs. The valve rectifier is really the only weak point, and that's largely because modern rectifier valves aren't very good.

2 - yes, yes and yes. All JTM45/Bluesbreakers are essentially Bassman copies with a different output impedance and NFB ratio.

3 - yes, although they're quite loud when they crunch. Not unusably so if you're in a loud band, but enough that it might cause trouble at quieter venues.

But that's not really a problem because the clean tone is *fantastic*, contrary to the usual impression of Marshalls, and they take almost any pedal I've ever heard well.

The only things I don't like about them is that they are quite heavy, large and an awkward shape to carry, particularly if you're short; and that the tremolo is poor and only works on one channel - although this can be fairly easily modded to fix both problems, if tremolo is important to you.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I need to use my jtm45 with an attenuator for pub gigs to get much of a crunch, but any old overdrive in front sounds wonderful and for a full chiming cleaned sound you can't beat them. Don't not get one just because they stay clean when loud, you would be missing out on a great amp
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    thomasw88 said:

couple of questions:
    1. Are they reliable?
    1 - yes, they are among the best-made of all modern Marshall amps, roughly equivalent in construction to the late-70s JMPs. The valve rectifier is really the only weak point, and that's largely because modern rectifier valves aren't very good.

2 - yes, yes and yes. All JTM45/Bluesbreakers are essentially Bassman copies with a different output impedance and NFB ratio.

3 - yes, although they're quite loud when they crunch. Not unusably so if you're in a loud band, but enough that it might cause trouble at quieter venues.

But that's not really a problem because the clean tone is *fantastic*, contrary to the usual impression of Marshalls, and they take almost any pedal I've ever heard well.

The only things I don't like about them is that they are quite heavy, large and an awkward shape to carry, particularly if you're short; and that the tremolo is poor and only works on one channel - although this can be fairly easily modded to fix both problems, if tremolo is important to you.
    These are all reasons why I'm thinking of having a JTM45 style amp built, but with higher power rating (JTM45/100 anyone?), solid state rectifier (maybe switchable with valve if that's a possible thing without going mesa?) which should make it higher gain friendly (along with the higher power rating) and more reliable, and lastly adding a PPIMV.  

Basically a high powered version of it. Should make it more versatile without much compromise of the classic sounds. Maybe.

If it's possible. I need to get the money together before I start discussing specs...
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    ThePrettyDamned;398476" said:
    ICBM said:

thomasw88 said:

couple of questions:

1. Are they reliable?

These are all reasons why I'm thinking of having a JTM45 style amp built, but with higher power rating (JTM45/100 anyone?), solid state rectifier (maybe switchable with valve if that's a possible thing without going mesa?) which should make it higher gain friendly (along with the higher power rating) and more reliable, and lastly adding a PPIMV.  

Basically a high powered version of it. Should make it more versatile without much compromise of the classic sounds. Maybe.

If it's possible. I need to get the money together before I start discussing specs...
    @ThePrettyDamned You just about summed up new amp, even with the mods!
  • nickb_boy said:
    ThePrettyDamned;398476" said:
    ICBM said:

thomasw88 said:

couple of questions:

1. Are they reliable?

@ThePrettyDamned You just about summed up new amp, even with the mods!
    :O

Okay, where is the thread man?!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32405
    57Deluxe said:
    Why? It's pretty much the same as a JTM45 reissue, it's a great amp.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    p90fool;399019" said:
    57Deluxe said:

Yeah. I always thought the bluesbreaker was essentially a jtm45 combo.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    p90fool said:
    57Deluxe said:
    If you can't get a usable tone out of a Bluesbreaker, the problem is not in the amp ;).

I totally agree they're a pain to carry though.

Voxman said:
    I always thought the bluesbreaker was essentially a jtm45 combo.
    That's exactly what it is, with a fairly poor tremolo that almost no-one uses - and anyway is on the less useful of the two channels. Modding the tremolo so it works more effectively and on both channels is a pretty simple job though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein