Anyone bought a guitar from Japan ??

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8120
    I thought a white Gretsch Corvette from Japan in 2009. Ishibashi. 
    Other than having to pay duty on it, was a good experience. Well packed, arrived in perfect condition. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6233
    edited May 1
    Another thumbs-up for Ishibashi. I bought a Tokai LS160VF from them a few years back. Their service was excellent and even with all the added vat, shipping and duty,  the price was very good.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    The Yen:Pound rate is now very favourable after many years of being terrible, so JDM guitars are more affordable.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4761
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29131
    TTony said:
     like flying out to Japan with a piece of shit cheap Harley Benton in a hardcase and then bin/donate it in Japan before flying back with the guitar you flew out to buy, and claim the good guitar is the guitar you brought out to Japan with you, and not the cheap shitty Harley Benton in a cheap hardcase that you flew out with.
    Sssshhhhh!!

FFS, don't share secrets like that.  Customs had never heard of that one before.
    Also it'd only work if you had an ATA carnet for when you took it out, and that wouldn't match what you brought back.

As always, if Grogg says something, you know it isn't true. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    edited May 2
  • mankytommankytom Frets: 286
    I bought one while I was over there… really easy, ended up paying vat when I got back but still wound up a much better deal than getting the guitar here.,

the weak yen means that everything in Japan is cheap at the moment. I’d say about half the price you pay here for most stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27695
    mankytom said:
    I bought one while I was over there… really easy, ended up paying vat when I got back but still wound up a much better deal than getting the guitar here.,

the weak yen means that everything in Japan is cheap at the moment. I’d say about half the price you pay here for most stuff. 
    Yup for used especially. I paid about 3k for my CS ES-355 which is bonkers compared with UK prices
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • AidanspaghettiAidanspaghetti Frets: 857
    I've bought loads from rinkya. Great service in fairness. Mostly Navigator stuff!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life