NGD: Strandberg Boden NX6

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3583
    FelineGuitars said:
    I'm already modding it - flush mount straplock on rear of horn
    Swapped the A5 magnet in the Suhr bridge pickup for a ceramic
    and added Anomaly pickup surrounds - pickups are still direct mounted but have protection now

A man with your skillset should set about plugging that left-handed whammy hole in the bridge!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 3028

and added Anomaly pickup surrounds - pickups are still direct mounted but have protection now

I really like that - I didn't think there'd be room between the pickup and fretboard, so I'm glad to see you've proved me wrong.  

A man with your skillset should set about plugging that left-handed whammy hole in the bridge!
    Agreed. I can't fathom why Standberg don't do this - it just looks like someone in the factory forgot to do it. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25052
    Every time I look at this thread I get a bit of Strandberg GAS, but it wears off after a day or two.  They are intriguing though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11966
    tFB Trader
    Bigsby said:

I really like that - I didn't think there'd be room between the pickup and fretboard, so I'm glad to see you've proved me wrong.  

I did have to make a few deft file stroke to the very end of the fretboard (Richlite on this guitar) to ensure a fit , but not much . The rings are drilled out in the middle hole so I can just get a small Phillips screwdriver in and tweak the height  of the pickups, and if I fancy a complete change then I'll use a fresh set of Anomaly Rings and not have to drill out the feet of a set of expensive pickups 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1656
    Just bought the boden essential...ngd incoming 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnorthodoxUnorthodox Frets: 481
    nero1701 said:

One of us, one of us.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    nero1701 said:
    Cool!  I still keep thinking about them from time to time.  I watched the Andertons video the other evening... not overly impressed with the actual sounds, TBH, but that's not the guitars themselves, it's everything else they're playing though.  Still fascinated by the concept, especially the neck.

Henning Pauly is, no doubt, an acquired taste but I enjoyed his review of the Essential:

First impressions. 

Changing strings is a pia.

The fit, finish and frets are amazing, the pickups and range of tones is okish

The neck forces my wrist into a not very natural position which will takes some time to get used to.

Overall. I'm undecided, I'm glad I've bought one and may use it, it's compact, so will be great as a travel guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2245
    Interesting...
    My obsession has dropped very slightly. But only because my DGT SE does some rock stuff better tonally.
    The Boden is still the pick up around the house guitar and playing a lot into the computer, the DGT SE  does get a lot of use though, especially into an amp/speaker. I'll be trying one with Suhr pickups soon.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3450
    edited July 18
    FelineGuitars said:

I came across something recently for plugging the unused hole in the bridge, and meant to take a note of it for this thread, and to order a few for myself.  You can get them, I just can't remember where I saw them, or even what they are, as in they may be several options for doing it - as in materials they are made of  and so forth.

I personally think these guitars have one of it not the best neck profiles, I can honestly see why Fender have used the ''same'' profile in their top tier non custom shop models, and not on the tier below - it's used on the Ultra Luxe though not the Ultra, and really do think it is worth the extra cost - though I wish the Ultra Luxe came with a bone nut like the Ultra instead of the Tusq rubbish.
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 3028

I came across something recently for plugging the unused hole in the bridge, and meant to take a note of it for this thread, and to order a few for myself.  You can get them, I just can't remember where I saw them, or even what they are, as in they may be several options for doing it - as in materials they are made of  and so forth.

I personally think these guitars have one of it not the best neck profiles, I can honestly see why Fender have used the ''same'' profile in their top tier non custom shop models, and not on the tier below - it's used on the Ultra Luxe though not the Ultra, and really do think it is worth the extra cost - though I wish the Ultra Luxe came with a bone nut like the Ultra instead of the Tusq rubbish.
    ...with "same" obviously not being the same as same, so it's a different profile rather than a "different" profile.
    So the Strandberg neck profile is comparable to a particular Fender neck profile, which is completely different and yet the same?  Good to know.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I must say the trem hole doesn't look terrible to me, but that plug is neat.
    Fellow owners, is it worth putting a smidgen of something on the threads of the tuners to prevent the fraction of stick when you tune for the first time of the day? copperslip ect
    nero1701 said:
    Fellow owners, is it worth putting a smidgen of something on the threads of the tuners to prevent the fraction of stick when you tune for the first time of the day? copperslip ect
    Haven't needed to...sometimes use the multi-tool (decided to stick the magnetic counterpart under the bridge) which makes tiny adjustments super easy...don't need to tune it all that often either.
    Copper-slip...perhaps not...but I'd have thought a tiny dot of 'nut sauce' couldn't hurt ;-?