Clapton

What's Hot
Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1995
Why does Clapton get so much stick on tFB. I've always thought he was great and far better than many revered, and IMO, lesser guitarists. Just watched a documentary on him and it has just reinforced my opinion of him. He didn't have the best start in life. I like him. I like him a lot. He was probably more blues that people give him credit for. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7710
    I’m assuming it’s mostly down to his recent-years oddness - social and political comments rather than music stuff 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1995
    TimmyO said:
    I’m assuming it’s mostly down to his recent-years oddness - social and political comments rather than music stuff 
    I don't really know any of that to be fair. I must admit though than many musicians have turned me off when they spout political stuff on the back of their musical fame (and we all know the main protagonists). Purely on his music though, I think he's one of our finest guitarists. Not as good as Ritchie Blackmore obviously, but then nobody is. 

Ian

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1168
    I love Cream, I find a lot of his blues stuff dull, but he is good. The Cream reunion stuff where he played his current style with Cream songs was brilliant 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HT986M2HT986M2 Frets: 169
    edited May 3
    Basically, his racist tendencies and vaccine skepticism nonsense has finally outweighed any merit his music had in most people's eyes.

His opinions are both dangerous and damaging.
    Trading feedback available here
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1234
    Great guitarist. Fking bigot. Almost 50 years since his racist tirade in Birmingham and countless opportunities to own up and apologise. But nothing. Just laughs it off because he was "drunk". 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 4
    HT986M2 said:
    Basically, his racist tendencies and vaccine skepticism nonsense has finally outweighed any merit his music had in most people's eyes.

You see I don't know anything about his racist side. As far as vaccines are concerned that is acceptable, and in fact he has some justification on that side of things given some admissions from Astra Zeneca that their vaccine has killed people. I'm divorcing myself from those issues though. I'm only concerned with Eric and the music he wrote and produced. There's a lot of people on here slag him off no end but I don't know why. 

Ian

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Great guitarist. Fking bigot. Almost 50 years since his racist tirade in Birmingham and countless opportunities to own up and apologise. But nothing. Just laughs it off because he was "drunk". 
    I don't like racism but don't know anything about what he said. Maybe you can point me in the direction. I might not like what he's said and that may detract from who he is but doesn't necessarily detract from the music he's made. One of the best in my opinion. Maybe we should have another thread on what a POS he was. Dunno. 

Ian

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HT986M2HT986M2 Frets: 169
    Devil#20 said:
    I don't like racism but don't know anything about what he said. Maybe you can point me in the direction. I might not like what he's said and that may detract from who he is but doesn't necessarily detract from the music he's made. One of the best in my opinion. Maybe we should have another thread on what a POS he was. Dunno. 

There you go.

“Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out,” exclaimed Clapton to his captive audience. “Get the w*gs out. Get the c**ns out. Keep Britain white."

“Do we have any foreigners in the audience tonight? If so, please put up your hands. So where are you? Well, wherever you are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country. I don’t want you here, in the room or in my country.”

In response to that, a cultural movement in music was triggered:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Against_Racism
    Trading feedback available here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    HT986M2 said:
    Devil#20 said:

There you go.

“Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out,” exclaimed Clapton to his captive audience. “Get the w*gs out. Get the c**ns out. Keep Britain white."

“Do we have any foreigners in the audience tonight? If so, please put up your hands. So where are you? Well, wherever you are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country. I don’t want you here, in the room or in my country.”

Just had a look at that and yes he isn't a nice person is he. However, divorce yourself from that. I don't think any musician should mix their music with politics or religion. He was, however, a brilliant guitarist in my opinion. That's the subject of my OP. 

Ian

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5635
    Devil#20 said:
    HT986M2 said:

I don't know anything about his racist side. As far as vaccines are concerned that is acceptable

No it is not, not in any way. To the extent that his vaccine denialism persuaded people to behave in dangerous ways, and not just catch the virus (who cares what fools do with their lives anyway?) but pass it on to innocent others, it was culpable, and any shit he cops for it is what he deserves for putting peoples lives at risk. His racism was dreadful, but this was even worse.

It's a damn shame because in his prime - around the 461 Ocean Boulevard period - he was an awesomely good musician.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2954
    Devil#20 said:
    HT986M2 said:
    Devil#20 said:

There you go.

Just had a look at that and yes he isn't a nice person is he. However, divorce yourself from that. I don't think any musician should mix their music with politics or religion. He was, however, a brilliant guitarist in my opinion. That's the subject of my OP. 
    With respect the subject of your OP was why does Clapton get so much stick on FB.  That has been answered.   You appear to be ignoring the person behind the guitar, most of can't do that.    Once the artist expresses an opinion it changes how the audience perceives them and their art.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    My dislike for Clapton basically stems from his terrible tone and vibrato, plus being  content to fit on his laurels and churn out the same tripe for years 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2915
    He was pissed as a fart and eating Colombian Marching powder like sugar, in the midst of a dark time in life. I’m gonna forgive him, the good outways the bad, he’s built rehab centres for addicts etc. 

It’s official. Eric gets a pass.  
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    blueskunk said:
    He was pissed as a fart and eating Colombian Marching powder like sugar, in the midst of a dark time in life. I’m gonna forgive him, the good outways the bad, he’s built rehab centres for addicts etc. 

Thats odd, because myself and millions of others like me have been blind drunk and under the influence of white powders amd never once uttered a racist slur.

Oh he's got enough money to buy a pass? riiiiight  :s
    Wrong. 
    he sucks as a person and his music is beyond boring. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4298
    Wow I didn’t know he’d said all that  bloody hell
      I really liked August I think it’s not a popular one though , yardbirds & cream were good . 
    The stuff with Steve winwood was great
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2036
    Devil#20 said:
    I'm a huge fan of Ted Nugent's music - Many recoil when I say this, but I don't give a monkeys about what his views are, I just think him and Derek St Holmes are magic together.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1644
    Sarge said:
    blueskunk said:

Thats odd, because myself and millions of others like me have been blind drunk and under the influence of white powders amd never once uttered a racist slur.

Oh he's got enough money to buy a pass? riiiiight  :s
    Wrong. 
    he sucks as a person and his music is beyond boring. 
    @Sarge you are saying you have never once in your life uttered a racist slur? I don’t know you but I am going to call bull on that. Most people have at some point in their life said something they regret and that doesn’t mean only regarding race. 

For someone admitting to doing and taking drugs you seem to be stood on a soapbox? Odd. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Kent747Kent747 Frets: 262
    To bring the thread back away from throwing rocks. 

As someone who was named after him…the early 80s were a different time….I can’t really stand anything he’s done except Layla. I went through a Cream phase in my younger years, and obviously heard him in our little house in Texas throughout my childhood but I have little interest in him today, again except Layla. 

I think my issue stems from the fact that most of his albums contain a vast amount of filler and I’ve never really thought of him as a great songwriter. Take ‘761 Ocean Boulevard’, you really want to hear ‘I Shot the Sheriff’ again? Or his version of a Robert Johnson song? If you like the latter, you are in for a treat! Might I interest you in ‘Me and Mr. Johnson’ (2004)? Or the companion album ‘Sessions for Robert J’?

Nothing inherently wrong with paying tributes to your heroes and inspirations. Nothing inherently wrong if I’m not interested. 

Nothing he has out really interests me in any way. It’s an easy pass. 

Joe Bonanassa is the same too by the way…..I see nothing I have interest in. 

My two cents. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KevSKevS Frets: 512
    A Racist playing the Blues,,it would be like a 70's comedy sketch if it were not actually real.If you are going to play music that was birthed from another Ethnicity,,once you have became famous and made a fortune based on their work,,do not turn around and be racist to them...What a disrespectful sickening thing to do..

.Changing into a Racist when Drunk..I think the Drink is revealing the normally hidden Racism,,not causing it..Same thing goes for Cocaine..Oh I had some White Supremacist Ribena that changed my blood sugar level and it made me Racist temporarily in front of an audience of thousands...My Dad was a Racist,since I was 10 years old and I learned exactly what Racism was I have never thought or felt the compulsion to say anything racist since then..It's called Empathy....Being White is not an achievement,,you don't even choose your colour before birth..You certainly done nothing to earn it.. So being proud to be white is illogical..

I used to like The Smiths..Since Morrissey turned into a Far Right Dick..I can't connect with the Music anymore as I am too disgusted by people who are inspired by hate rather than Empathy...If People think their actions are not really Racist..Then they have a problem..Yes some people will shout "Racist " at anything..Clapton is about the most blatant ridiculous case  of being racist to the very same people you made your career from though..

As for making personal attacks on people who don't think racism is OK..That says a lot about what the person doing the attack thinks is moral..

Eric Clapton coming out with Racist Comments is basically comparable to if  Ian Stuart had started a White Supremacist Roots Reggae band..So ridiculously wrong it would appear comedy if not actually true...One of the actual National Front badges had "Enoch was Right" written around it..If Clapton didn't say that phrase word for word,he said a variation of it..

I though Peter Green had way more feel etc than Clapton..Although troubled,I also think he was a much better person...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2243
    Hard life or not, there is no excuse for the things Clapton has said and done. Aside from the racist outburst which are enough reason alone, he’s also admitted to beating and raping his wife, he smashed his best mates Mrs and dedicated an album to her, he abandoned his children to pursue a life as a junky and piss-head, and this is just the stuff we know about. 

I like some of his music a lot, but reckon the guy is an absolute c*nt in real life. 
This discussion has been closed.