Sweet low gain drive suggestions

What's Hot

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    Joyo American sound, set it to sound like your amp and than add grit as required
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1092
    Another Peacekeeper fan here. I've also recently been using an Echoline Roadrunner, which does low gain very well and has various clipping options. Not as tweakable as the Peacekeeper but good sounds. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    Based on my Mooer clone of it, the Xotic RC boost might be worth a try (or just one of the cheapo clones)? To my ears it's a similar idea to a Timmy, but a little sweeter-sounding. (I prefer the Timmy!)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7714
    JezWynd said:
    MUCH rarer is the Barber Gain Changer.

You can order direct from David Barber in US, delivery is speedy. http://www.barberelectronics.com/gainchanger.html

Can confirm ordering direct was swift 
    Red ones are better. 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1539
    Wow, it's not been an exhaustive list but every suggestion here is correct. This is a list of amazing low gain ODs. It's just a case of the OP finding out what works for him.
    I've been through a few low gainers, I like a high end bluesbreaker but it will probably be a bit bass shy for you. Add  a Nobels or Nordvang to your list. Lwo gain, flattish response, basssy. You may also like the Deco Od side.

There's quite a range of gain here - imo a Barbershop is a lot less gain than a Timmy for example.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • ewalewal Frets: 2644
    Timmy always gets a mention, as does it's clone - Caline Blue Sky. I use an always on Rat clone for adding a tiny bit of break-up to a clean Fender - the filter control is useful too. However it does tighten up low end ( one of the reasons I use it). So I've recently started to use the Blue Sky in situations where bottom end doesn't need tightening up.
  • timbuk02 said:
    1. My standard answer - 4 knob TC Spark Booster - great EQ options and everything just sounds better.
    If you're looking for something which is amazing value for money, look at the full size TC Spark Booster. You can get grit through to dirt at unity up to VERY loud in either "mid", "fat" or "clean" (transparent) EQs. They're been seen new for £30 occasionally.
    I basically came here to say the exact same thing as above. So yeah, just do that! 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3344
    edited May 9
    StefB said:
    DOD Looking Glass
    Wampler Belle
    There's a few comparison demos out there between the MXR Timmy Mini and the Wampler Belle and so you can get an idea if the Belle is a good choice.

I own one and think it's a little fuller sounding than the Timmy, if you want it to be, but I've also had an Xotic RC and AC, both versions of the Liquid Sunshine, a Catalinbrad 5FS, some JRADs, a Keeley-modded TS-808 and a way Huge Pork Loin and I think the Belle beats the lot when it comes to low gain. It also stacks very well with other pedals and reacts very well to guitar volume changes.

My 2nd choice would be the Pork Loin but it's a much bigger-sized pedal if pedalboard real estate needs to be considered.

I hope you find one that you like and works for you
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27700
    I’m certainly the Peacekeeper will be amazing because every single other Thorpy pedal is and I’ve tried most of them. 

I’d add the Jan Ray and (especially) Kingsley Page to the list if you just fancy pushing the boat a little further. Both are absurdly good at what you’re after. 

And possibly wildcards in the form of the DOD Looking Glass, and Spaceman Polaris and Mercury IV, which are all slight left-turns from your standard volume/gain/tone layout but all very very good little boxes.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SunburstSunburst Frets: 131
    Another shout for the ThorpyFX Peacekeeper from me.

I'm also loving my Boss BP1W for this type of application. It's not as flexible as the Peacekeeper as it has no EQ at all, but the 3 circuits provide plenty of options and there's a surprising amount of very natural sounding gain available. The RE circuit in particular retains a lot of bass presence.
  • Acdeezee86Acdeezee86 Frets: 29
    edited May 9
    I went through lots of ODs trying to get that sound - the one that’s done it the best for me is a clone of a hudson broadcast i picked here on the forum. I think it’s technically a clone of the ariel posen variant. Sounds really nice - and is also capable of many other sounds

edit - this through a tmpr 
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1494
    Lebarque said:
    Kingsley Page
    This, in spades. If you like the sound of your amp and don't want to change that at all when you kick in a pedal, but just have a bit more of everything, nothing beats the Page. It doesn't sound like a pedal, it sounds like another channel of your amp.
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 584
    I had a Thorpy Peacekeeper and loved every minute.

I've just taken delivery of a Lovepedal Les Luis. With P90's and my strat it is amazing. 
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Injured Veteran and head injury survivor. Bouts of grumpy behavior and brutal humor are to be expected.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • Sharky77Sharky77 Frets: 239
    J Rockett Blue Note 
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 383
    Lebarque said:
    topdog91 said:
    These threads always turn into recommending what we own, so you'll finish up with recommendations for everything. Mine: Wampler Tumnus Deluxe.
    Mid hump alert
    Fair (I missed that in OP) but EQable and not such a prominent hump (to my ears).
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1542
    Studio Daydream Dhyanna,

Lovely pedal, have a look on YouTube 
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2438
    Lebarque said:
    The question is asked so frequently it should be made a sticky really, along with 'best pedal platform', 'best MIAB pedal' and 'should I go digital or not?'.
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 993
    I have a Lovepedal Amp11 for sale which does a pretty good light gain, then with its extra boost switch can cover a lot of ground. Also has bass and treble EQ nicely sunk in the housing so as to not be accidently moved.

‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 348
    Another Peacekeeper vote from me. I've tried quite a number of low gain overdrives and always come back to Thorpy's offering. As @tumbuk02 says, a boost pedal might work for you too. I run a Zvex SuperDuper (two Super Hard-ons in one pedal) and find cascading them on low settings sounds excellent as well. I also have a TC Spark, which has additional EQ, is a fine pedal and is excellent value for money. It's perfect for adding a bit of grit to your sound. I ended up giving mine to my son as the SuperDuper always sounds just right for my needs.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom