SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FT: Gibson Les Paul Standard 2001 Ebony Bigsby OX4

What's Hot
Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1198
edited May 9 in Guitars £
2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard Ebony Bigsby https://imgur.com/gallery/M0Q5Su2

Pics in link above.

So Hey guys, first off I'm in no hurry to move this so let's put a cash value on it of £1,800.

It's a Gibson Les Paul Standard from 2001. I bought it as a complete husk, no wiring, no pickups, no case, and got it to this stage via several iterations I won't bore you with.

It's weight-relieved but it is heavy. I'll weigh it if you want. The Gibson specs are as you would expect, Mahogany body and neck, maple cap, Rosewood Fretboard, cream binding, 22 frets, nitro Ebony finish etc. The neck is that chunky "not really 50s fat but not thin" C carve.

My contributions are a Monty's 50s wiring harness, OX4 PAFs (not sure if Medium or low wind as I bought them used and info wasn't available), Kluson vintage tulip tuners with adapter bushings, historic pickup rings & plastics, Amber knobs, schaller strap locks, a Faber 50s ABR-1 bridge and of course the USA Bigsby B7 tailpiece that is screwed into the body like real men do. Oh, and a budget but nice tweed and faux leather LP hardcase that does fine for light duty.

I reckon it's a beast, but that'll be up to you.

Its condition is beat up, as you can see, but it's all totally honest. Structurally it's completely sound with no neck breaks. It's got the mojo for sure and it's not for you if you like them clean. But if you like your Lesters with patina, then you might well be into this one.

Anyway.

In exchange for this guitar I am looking for a good acoustic. Specifically I am looking for an American-made acoustic with vintage appointments. Think J45, 000-18 and up, that kind of thing. But feel free to try me. Mainly it's gonna be Martins and Gibsons but I probably won't be interested in their modern models or anything with cutaways or fake Woods or whatever.

I don't care if it has a pickup or not, or if it has a case or not. I would prefer it if it has a bit of loving wear on it (maybe even a lot) but I'm not looking for anything that needs work. Guitars that have had (pro) repairs are also welcome. I like older guitars too.

I might be able to add cash for the right guitar but not a ton.

Based in Preston, can travel a bit if necessary. You're welcome to come play it. Shipping is as always iffy but I'm not against it.

Cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1198

Here it is.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4066
    That’s a proper nice LP!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That’s a proper nice LP!
    Thanks! It's probably the nicest guitar I own but needs must...
  • Norlin4lifeNorlin4life Frets: 324
    Lovely Les Paul. Just as an fyi, it absolutely is weight relieved (9 hole Swiss cheese style). 
    Lovely Les Paul. Just as an fyi, it absolutely is weight relieved (9 hole Swiss cheese style). 
    Ah okay cool my mistake. Dang Internets and their misinformations!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    That’s *super* cool. I’m not in the market but I kinda wish I was…!!’ 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1199
    This^. My 2001 was weight relieved and still managed 10.5 lbs on the scales.
  • Norlin4lifeNorlin4life Frets: 324
    Some consider those heavy mahogany slabs from that period to be the best wood Gibson has used on Standards in recent years. Sustains like crazy! GLWTS
    Some consider those heavy mahogany slabs from that period to be the best wood Gibson has used on Standards in recent years. Sustains like crazy! GLWTS
    It does have mad sustain, helped in no small part by the OX4s which are extremely dynamic and sensitive. I reckon the Bigsby helps a little too, but overall it's a very resonant guitar which people don't normally associate with this kind of weight, but there it is.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7216
    Lovely guitar but I do keep seeing the words "ebony bigsby" and getting a Beatles song stuck in my head.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GibboDenGibboDen Frets: 29
    Nice! GLWTS
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31148
    Neil Young just entered the room....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.