New computer after 9years.

What's Hot
My beloved 9(!!) year old iMac died a couple of days ago- no response to power button: it's DEAD but I have backups of everything.

So I'm now looking for a new machine.
Cash is tight- but I'm eligible for the education discount from apple...

Do I get a mid level Mac Mini for £535? I have a keyboard, mouse & monitor already. Or is there a better option?

The fact that I've been happy for the past 9years with the same machine tells you how light a user I am... Office, mail, safari, iTunes & iPhoto is all I use. (I'm leaning towards apple again due to the longevity of the old one & the fact that we have iPhones&ipads in the house)

I'd like whatever I get to be as compact- but not a laptop & as future proof as possible.

Anyone out there have suggestions?
Ta muchly.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    Just get a new iMac.

My last one must have been the same age as yours, but I was less lucky and it died after 6 years. I bought a new one and it's going fine. And I'd buy another if it died tomorrow.

The Mac-haters will laugh and say that it's an expensive way of owning a computer, but I don't really see it that way. Six years of no trouble and hassle at all for a grand and then replace it with the latest far more advanced model actually seems fair value to me.

Bear in mind you will need an external CD/DVD drive if you use that, the new ones don't come with them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    I agree, stretch to a Mac and remain happy for the next nine years, with discount that'll be £100 a year.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2442
    End of discussion, I'd say.  Really, get another iMac.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    The new macbook air, is a thing of beauty and a very powerful machine.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24613
    Get a Windows 8 laptop.

<ducks>
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    If you are going to get a windows laptop, spend as much as you can, cheaper laptops are poo, and use really poor hardware I would say 400 plus:-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited November 2014
    Still chugging along, a bit slower than last year and its been on an external monitor the last 2 years as the screen started to fail. Thought about the Mac Mini route myself but just dont rate them much anymore, not brand new anyway.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    I don't think modern macs are as reliable as the old ones. We bought a load last year at work and they have been quite unreliable.
  • I'd try and get hold of last years mac mini if you can as you can upgrade the memory and add in an extra hard drive or get an SSD and create your won fusion drive.
    Also last years mid range was a quad core rather than the crappy dual cores the new ones have.