What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Sharky77Sharky77 Frets: 238
    @jaymenon forever the romantic  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sharky77Sharky77 Frets: 238
    edited June 12
    It's not in Jake, Charlie, Mick or Dan's interest though - they have no reason to pretend in front of thousands of viewers. I think it would be really difficult to pretend that much if you didn't hear/feel it.

Unless Robben paid them...

The plot thickens 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2954
    edited June 12
    Never played a Dumble but I never saw/heard the fascination with any of the Dumble inspired stuff I've seen in demos etc and this is no different. And the clean sounds like any other clean to me, uninspiring. Maybe you have to be there!
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 844
    So much depends on the room acoustics too…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 491
    I thought Robben looked pretty cool, hair and shirt buttons included.

They were both interesting videos to me, even though I'm not a fan of Robben's music. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves in the Part II - sort of, in an overwhelmed kid of way.

I took would love to hear some Neddies played on it!
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1418
    I've been working thru Robben Ford's Urban Blues Guitar Revolution the last few weeks. Been quite the revelation - his rhythm and chords I can kinda approximate fairly decently (mostly). 

His soloing - is another matter. His phrasing is INTENSE.
    It's the same old hackneyed blues pentatonics we all know and abuse (many based around box 1 etc..) but the way he plays them is so fast in parts and fluid I've been left standing in the dust wondering how the hell does he do that?! It's like he knows what he's going to play 5 minutes before he does it and just slams it down before you've even had a chance to blink.

So yeah .. talking about the merits of Dumble this, Zen Drive that, 54 telecasters etc...as well all do on nerdy guitar forums - great -  but he could play thru my Blackstar Fly 3 and make the thing sizzle. 
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Deus1791Deus1791 Frets: 6
    The business card of the man himself.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1494
    edited June 13
    Deus1791 said:
    The business card of the man himself.

If only he'd gone with Tony Chapperoni then eventually he could have been bumped off by Paulie Walnuts and Chris Moltisanti somewhere remote.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    Actually to my ears it sounds just like my RDA Dualist. But come on most amps would sound amazing under the type of Roben’s hands 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • PCGPCG Frets: 14
    edited June 13
    CaseOfAce said:
    I've been working thru Robben Ford's Urban Blues Guitar Revolution the last few weeks. Been quite the revelation - his rhythm and chords I can kinda approximate fairly decently (mostly). 

It's the same old hackneyed blues pentatonics we all know and abuse (many based around box 1 etc..) but the way he plays them is so fast in parts and fluid I've been left standing in the dust wondering how the hell does he do that?! It's like he knows what he's going to play 5 minutes before he does it and just slams it down before you've even had a chance to blink.

So yeah .. talking about the merits of Dumble this, Zen Drive that, 54 telecasters etc...as well all do on nerdy guitar forums - great -  but he could play thru my Blackstar Fly 3 and make the thing sizzle. 
    “Same old hackneyed blues pentatonics” is not a phrase I’d ever think to apply to Robben Ford’s playing, so far from that in my view!

edit: appreciate you may be talking about the specific stuff he’s teaching in that course, which I haven’t seen.  I was talking about his output generally, especially older stuff.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1418
    PCG said:
    CaseOfAce said:

“Same old hackneyed blues pentatonics” is not a phrase I’d ever think to apply to Robben Ford’s playing, so far from that in my view!

edit: appreciate you may be talking about the specific stuff he’s teaching in that course, which I haven’t seen.  I was talking about his output generally, especially older stuff.
    probably should have said "hackneyed blues pentatonic scales" to make it clearer what I was trying to state - I wasn't saying Ford's playing was hackneyed!  =)

I find Billy Gibbons is another guy who uses the same scales as the rest of us but has a unique way of making them sound fresh and melodic!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    CaseOfAce said:
    PCG said:

I find Billy Gibbons is another guy who uses the same scales as the rest of us but has a unique way of making them sound fresh and melodic!
    his non stand tuning helps!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    CaseOfAce said:
    PCG said:

his non stand tuning helps!
    for the most part he only uses the open E or A tunings for his slide work?
    Predominantly he's still in standard for most of the work.

One thing I noticed seeing him live last year was how atonal he went with some of his pentatonic scales - only briefly - but there were little slides back and forth into outside playing -quickly resolved of course.

His tone from the Magnatones (or his Marshall rack unit or whatever it was) was just immense. 
    Toby Young opened with a cranked Blackstar sig model - very tasty. Billy Gibbons came on and my jaw hit the floor. Tone. 
    I'm astonished he's still bringing it live at his age as well.