Boss BD2 fizziness

What's Hot
JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 931
I really like the sound of the Boss Blues Driver, but when I play single string riffs (rather than chords) or play softly there is an annoying fizziness to the sound. I know there are many mods for this pedal, but do any remove the fizziness without changing the overall sound of the pedal?
My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You can mod the diodes to reduce the fizz.  It's doesn't change the overall sound but does obviously alter it a bit.  There are several diodes swaps you can try - jumping or shorting one of the four diodes going to ground is the simplest one.  IME though you can never get rid of the fizz completely.

My advice is that if you like the sound of the BD-2 but hate the fizz then try an OD-3 - it was actually Boss's revision of the BD-2 but not really marketed as one so as not to hit BD-2 sales or it's 'classic' status. 

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Keeley mod is the most common choice, but that will change the sound too. Plenty of vids on YouTube if you don't mind spending the money
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17878
    tFB Trader
    OD-3 is a good call. Tried one the other day and really liked it. 

You could also get a Keeley BD-2 or a Boss Waza BD-2 

For a cheaper option a Mooer Blues Mood is a Keeley BD-2 clone, or there are plenty of people who will mod stuff for not too much. 
  • I have an OD3, I really like it too - but it does sound different to the BD2 but does address the fizziness issue. If I had space i'd put both on my board. There's something about the bright tone of the BD2 that I love that the OD3 can't replicate.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17878
    tFB Trader
    It's probably the price you pay. A lot of OD pedals have a cap that rolls off the high end, but it results in a bit of a loss in sparkle.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited November 2014
    It's probably the price you pay. A lot of OD pedals have a cap that rolls off the high end, but it results in a bit of a loss in sparkle.

This is it to a degree although the OD-3 using a blocking cap rather than roll off - same effect just opposite approach.  Unfortunately the bright sound you like is actually what results in the fizziness. The OD-3 has a capacitor inline with the diodes meaning the high frequencies aren't clipped.  From memory it's quite a large cap as well so could be lowered to brighten up the pedal but the you are more or less approaching your problem from the opposite end as eventually it will introduce fizz due the it being an OD circuit that uses hard clipping diodes to ground.  You could experiment to find the balance you like but unless you are doing it yourself it's very difficult to explain to someone where the acceptable line is for you.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    What amp are you using? Many Fender amps (BF/SF reverb models when using the vibrato/reverb channel) in particular are notorious for bringing out fizz and harshness in brighter-sounding pedals.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I'm playing my Ampeg GVT15H but at pretty quiet bedroom volume - however I believe the BD2 is known for it's fizziness and splatty decay - just wondered if any of the name brand mods (Keeley, Allums etc) actually rectified it, as some claim to.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    I'm playing my Ampeg GVT15H but at pretty quiet bedroom volume - however I believe the BD2 is known for it's fizziness and splatty decay - just wondered if any of the name brand mods (Keeley, Allums etc) actually rectified it, as some claim to.
    Not sure - it is definitely known for that, yes. Unfortunately I can't find a schematic for the GVT15H so I don't know if that could be a factor as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vizviz Frets: 10771
    edited November 2014
    I have the keeley BD2 and Iove it. But even that definitely comes into its own at high volumes. Prob less fizzy than stock at low vols, but i've never had a stock one so who knows.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Coming to think of it, it may only be noticeable playing at home, it may be a different story at band volume - i'll have to take it to my next rehearsal.

Someone also mentioned the Waza Craft BD2, I think I might have to try one when they're finally released to see if they've fixed it.