The Final Experiment: proving the earth is flat (or a globe)

What's Hot

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3890
    OK all you smart “globe earthers” if the world’s not flat then explain maps. 
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 789
    edited May 20
    At a philosophical level - flat-earthers deny and reject the entire science-based, rational, mainly secular Enlightenment which has dominated human conceptual thinking since the 17th Century. This gives them carte-blanche to pedal other bonkers concepts too.

On the other hand - I have often wondered why the plane is still the right way up when you get to Australia. Difficult to explain that really.

:-)   <-------not flat.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 789
    edited May 20
    jmf1928 said:
    What do flat earthers think about the sun and the moon? Are they flat too?
    I would strongly advise not asking them @jmf1928 But I believe they think the Sun belongs to Donald Trump (who winds it up every Tuesday at midnight). The Moon is entirely different and is made of cheese from Walmart ('cos it has similar craters in and smells of cheese).
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9710
    I know the earth isnt flat.

You want to see the size of the bastard hills near me…
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24846
    I’ll bet a £1 the FE side will argue that the flight down to whatever FOB they are using was actually to a giant film set and it didn’t actually get there.

However… if they accept that the world is a globe then I expect all the FE people who didn’t go to say the attendees have been bribed, threatened, replaced, or murdered to hide the truth.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29137
    drofluf said:
    OK all you smart “globe earthers” if the world’s not flat then explain maps. 

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1094
    I live in Norfolk.  It is flat. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27083
    However… if they accept that the world is a globe then I expect all the FE people who didn’t go to say the attendees have been bribed, threatened, replaced, or murdered to hide the truth.
    This was my first thought, to be honest.
    <space for hire>
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6831
    The famous 1966 documentary, One Million Years B.C.  explains all you need to know about history. I am surprised they didn't cover the flat Earth but dinosaurs are well covered. Raquel Welch too, except that she is barely covered. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1539
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" - Ringo Starr
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 881
    " globe-earther"  - for future reference you can just use the phrase, "normal person."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5781
    For clarity, I am also a believer that the earth is a globe.  I mean, it has been proven a hundred different ways.

However, when faced with "evidence" to the contrary if I have the time I will usually listen with an open mind.  I am prepared to consider the possibility that I am wrong if convincing evidence can be presented.

So far nothing has even come close to making me slightly wonder whether normal people have been wrong for years and a small minority have uncovered a massive conspiracy - that in itself is proof enough to me, I mean, if there was a massive, ahem, global, conspiracy to hide the fact that the earth is flat........ why?  Who gains?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11422
    As George Carlin said "people are stupid, and that's on average, which means that 50% of them are even more fucking stupid".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6831
    I am a fan of the "giant silicon trees" theory.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19361
    if the earth's flat, then how come we can have Global pandemics * ?

* Don't tell me, I know it didn't really happen, but the Deep State & vaccinations made everyone believe in it...
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11422
    Thinking back to David Aaronovitch's superb book "Voodoo Histories" about conspiracy theories you have to ask:
    Who benefits from suppressing "the truth" about earth being flat?
    How many people who know it's not round have to keep quiet in order for that to remain the prevalent opinion?
    What's the probability that such a wall of silence would remain?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093
    scrumhalf said:
    Thinking back to David Aaronovitch's superb book "Voodoo Histories" about conspiracy theories you have to ask:
    How many people who know it's not round have to keep quiet in order for that to remain the prevalent opinion?
    there was about 94 pages of this sort of discussion here, a couple of years ago
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19361
    scrumhalf said:
    As if that could possibly happen here...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17878
    edited May 20 tFB Trader
    There is loads of evidence of what happens when you expose people with crazy ideas to the truth. Most notably cults where they think the world is going to end on a given day, but it doesn't.

Research suggests a few of them have their faith shaken, but most of them just double down and believe even more fervently that actually it's just going to be next year or whatever. 

At best they will convince one person who will then be thrown out of the group and everything else will continue as normal. This also has the side effect of legitimising their belief by implying that an experiment is required when it really isn't.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24846
    scrumhalf said:
    To be fair it was SirAxeman on one side, and sane people on the other.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd