Going from Multi effects to stand alone pedals

What's Hot
PermanentWavesPermanentWaves Frets: 59
edited November 2014 in FX
I've had a Boss GT8 for a quite a few years and it's been a good pedal. I don't use the amp mods, just the modulations sounds as I like my amps valve sound.

I'm now thinking of moving back to individual pedals. I realise I only use a limited number of the sounds available in the GT8 so it's sort of overkill for what I need.

So, the sounds I use most are:

Delay
Wah
Chorus
Boost
Compression

With that in mind, what pedals would people suggest?

I tend to play 70's & 80's rock in a covers band.

Cheers

Mike

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    What's your budget?

Assuming it's not tiny.

Wah - CAE
    Compression - SP
    Delay - Strymon El Cap or if that's a bit pricey a TC Flashback
    Boost - Xotic RC, TC Spark
    Chorus - any one of a number of CE-2 clones
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    The Boss Chorus pedals are really nice.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I have a Dunlop Crybaby for sale, can't go wrong really. 
    Boost/OD pedal I've got a Digitech Bad Monkey that I love. It's pretty much a TS Clone I believe. 
    Delay, I'd love a EHX Memory Man (There's a beat to sh*t one on Gumtree for £90 that I really want but have no funds for) 

'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Delay -  Boss DD-6/7 or Digitech Digidelay (excellent on a cheap budget)

Wah - EVH Crybaby, or Ibanez Weeping Demon (Be warned they're massive) Standard Crybaby.

CHorus - MXR Microchorus (absolutely my fav) of Digitech Multichorus (great budget chorus)

Boost depends on what you want

Volume MXR Microamp in the amp's loop

O/D MXR Distortion+ tightens the low end, add some sparkle to the top end, and is generally awesomes (and Randy Rhoads used one)

Boss SD-1 nice pretty smooth adds gain/volume and has a mids control.

Boss DS-1 rougher, nastier than the SD-1, mids control

Digitech Bad Monkey grittier than the SD-1, bass and treble controls.

Digitech HotHead like the SD-1 but has bass and treble controls.

others

MXR distortion3

MXR Custom Badass O/D or Distortion (or both........)

MXR Zakk Wylde

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• vizviz Frets: 11024
    edited November 2014
    You may find you don't need the compressor because the warmer, more open and transparent sound from a good OD/distortion pedal will also have plenty of grunt and screaming pitched harmonics. (if indeed that's what you were using the compression to enable). I had a GT6 and always used the distortion and compression together, but don't need to now I'm on individuals.

In fact, it might be worth you getting a wah and a tubescreamer (a keeley TS9 for example) first, and using your GT8 for all the other things, while you make the transition. The chorus and delay are both very good, and the boost is more of an attenuator rather than an amplifier, so it can all go in the loop without you having to worry about 4CM.

If and when you start replacing the others, I'd go for analogue delay and chorus first (esp if you're using them for effects not 'special effects' like The Edge), then you can keep the entire signal analogue. Keeley do a beautiful Ibanez AD9 and Boss CE2, but the stock ones are also good. There are also modded analgue delays that give you 600ms rather than the standard 300ms.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Thanks everyone for the input. Great advice.

Viz, I was actually thinking about getting a wah and booster pedal initially whilst still hanging onto the GT8. So glad to see someone else thinks it's a good idea.

• I think I would go with

Delay - Vox Delaylab
    Wah - Ibanez Weeping Demon
    Chorus - errr... not a clue on this one. EHX Small clone I guess
    Boost - anything will do
    Compression - Xotic SP or Marshall edaward if you are on a budget 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.