It's only another Yngwie video...

What's Hot
Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
....but I enjoyed it.  Yngwie Malmsteen talks Stratocasters.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7249
    While he remains the only concert I've ever walked out of I find myself starting to really appreciate him as I get older. 

That level of dedication to the craft matched only by that level of dedication to the persona has to be applauded. 

My fave Yngwie thing of all time is on his old instructional video where it goes  'as well as being a neoclassical virtuoso, Yngwie is also a master of the blues' and then it shows him absolutely rinsing sweep-picked pentatonics at 300mph with no pauses for about 40secs
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1759
    I've watched a few too.. he's really great at what he does.. and I get the impression we are beginning to see Yngwie sans persona.

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4507
    I've watched a few too.. he's really great at what he does.. and I get the impression we are beginning to see Yngwie sans persona.

Yes he comes across as a nice and pretty humble guy in the Beato interview, freely citing influences and inspirations etc. And "more is more" is definitely taking the piss out of himself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3131
    I revised my thoughts on him after Troy Grady's Cracking The Code. I used to dismiss him without really taking it all in. Aside from all the arpeggios and picking he has an absolutely stunning vibrato imo. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1167
    Legend that he is, I think he's been using Steven Seagal's hair dye, especially on his eyebrows! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    I'm not sure if he's letting the persona drop or if he's just mellowing as he heads into his 60s, but he's become genuinely likeable.  He still makes me laugh with the all-black clothes and chunky jewellery in the sunny Miami surroundings, though.  If we ever see him in shorts, flip-flops and a T-shirt then things will have really changed.

Having said all that, I wouldn't even entertain the thought of buying any of his recent albums.  I do still like some of the early stuff like Trilogy and Odyssey, but they were a long time ago and he's never improved on them.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7716
    Those sideburns though…
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YourArsenal87YourArsenal87 Frets: 318
    Living legend. Not many like him left. We should cherish him in all his hammy, cringe goodness.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7716
    Please tell me he’s scalloped that ‘54 Strat. I can’t make it out on my phone.
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1247
    Like so many things, Yngwie is getting better with age.  I like him much better now, he's still the ultimate rock guitar cliche, but he's great.  Thanks for posting.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 599
    I've watched that video at 0,75 speed and that 's the real fun.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DefaultM said:
    I can't remember if he has or not, and I can't watch it again right now.  Certainly most of the Strats he shows in the video are scalloped.  I do really like his signature model, I'd almost be tempted to buy one but I think it has a fairly skinny neck profile.
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 273
    DefaultM said:
    I think he has judging by how the light catches it.

DefaultM said:
    I think he has judging by how the light catches it.
    Just looking at it now full-screen, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the '54's scalloped... I think the '59 and '63 are, but it's not as extreme as his '70s ones, or the signature models.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4507
    Philly_Q said:

I do really like his signature model, I'd almost be tempted to buy one but I think it has a fairly skinny neck profile.
    Modern but I wouldn't call it skinny. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3692
    Philly_Q said:
    I'm not sure if he's letting the persona drop or if he's just mellowing as he heads into his 60s, but he's become genuinely likeable.  He still makes me laugh with the all-black clothes and chunky jewellery in the sunny Miami surroundings, though.  If we ever see him in shorts, flip-flops and a T-shirt then things will have really changed.

Having said all that, I wouldn't even entertain the thought of buying any of his recent albums.  I do still like some of the early stuff like Trilogy and Odyssey, but they were a long time ago and he's never improved on them.
    How can you improve on the solo he played on I'm a Viking? That's it, really, unless he'd change genres, but why would he?
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    I revised my thoughts on him after Troy Grady's Cracking The Code. I used to dismiss him without really taking it all in. Aside from all the arpeggios and picking he has an absolutely stunning vibrato imo. 

It's out of this world- look at the 30 second mark- killer wide vibrato and he's not even moving his fretting hand there at all...

:s

Miming aside, though, he's awesome and his vibrato is indeed awesome
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 11041
    edited May 24
    There’s a lovely, really amazing interview with him when he’s like 20 years old and on his 2nd album I think. He was soo driven. Such a perfectionist and really articulate

https://youtu.be/a3Wupm1GwHQ?feature=shared
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2496
    edited May 25
    ^ It's mad to think he had Rising Force under his belt at 21 and Trilogy when he was 23. Like you say, he knew what he wanted to do and did it. 
    Living legend. Not many like him left. We should cherish him in all his hammy, cringe goodness.
    This. From when I heard Odyssey for the first time 20-odd years ago to this day, he's arguably the only guitarist who still blows me away when I hear him. I love him.

• BigAl100BigAl100 Frets: 105
    edited May 26
    I agree with most of the comments here, that he's getting more "relaxed" with age... A much more likeable persona now. I think he's at that point where he knows he's "made it" and has his legendary status, having achieved what he wanted. Now it's just doing it all for fun, without all of the "competing" nonsense. 

I just wish he'd accept his age with a bit more class (haha)