NAD - Carr Bel Ray

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28141
Well this is quite something. When they announced it I loved the feature set and really loved the soft launch via Eric Haugen’s video just casually playing the new bit of gear he’d been lent. 

I ummed and ahhed for a few months and finally decided life is short and that if it really is the right amp I can cover most of the cost by selling gear it will be replacing. 

It arrived yesterday and it’s really special. For those not already aware, it’s a fairly typical Carr template. Small combo packed with features, clear sensible controls and a very good onboard attenuator. All point to point wired as well, for those who like that sort of thing. 

This model is 16W at full blast, with switchable voicing between V66/H73/M68 modes, which roughly represent a classic Vox AC sound, classic Hiwatt and early-ish Marshall Plexi flavour. Then it has a high-low switch as well which essentially controls the overall input level and basically helps you lean towards cleans or dirtier sounds. 

I took it to a jam with some new guys yesterday. Played with my newly-pickup-swapped ES-355 via Janray, Page and Deco it just sounded impeccable.ma cross a range of settings. The Hiwatt mode
is my favourite, but all are brilliant. It sounds like hyperbole but this is honestly the amp I’ve wanted for 20 years but 1)never existed and 2) I couldn’t have afforded even if it did! 

There are some recordings from last night so I’ll post them here if the quality is good enough to give a proper impression. But either way I’m smitten. 

I won’t say any more till I’ve used it a lot more, but it really is exceptional. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Benm39Benm39 Frets: 800
    A lovely looking thing also,  like so many of the Carr builds
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9770
    Gorgeous mate. 

I haven't played one yet and that looks awesome !
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 421
    It's a lovely looking thing, and the demo's sound great.  Good score.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28141
    edited May 25
    Gorgeous mate. 

I haven't played one yet and that looks awesome !
    Yeah I reckon you would LOVE IT. 

Everywhere from 60’s cleans to the chewiest of sustaining notes and goooooood  feedback with the 355 and Jan Ray. Absolutely effortless 

It's a lovely looking thing, and the demo's sound great.  Good score.
    I may have specifically gone via Station Music in Germany just to get a green one… but it is really pretty 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2275
    Love the green color and sounds amazing in those demos.  Congrats !
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5228
    Carr fanboi here! Looks awesome, and I’m looking forward to listening to your recordings. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5103
    edited May 25
    God damn you make it sound so great Mike, I've got a Rambler, it's absolutely amazing...... Might have to try a Bel Ray :open_mouth: 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

Boromedic said:
    God damn you make it sound so great Mike, I've got a Rambler, it's absolutely amazing...... Might have to try a Bel Ray :open_mouth: 
    It's well worth a try if you can. 

I reckon Super-Bee is the other best fit for my needs, though I'll be honest I really don't wanna replace my TMDR as that thing is just so damn practical. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5103
    edited May 26
    I'm torn between trying that and something like a Hot Cat...

Na, I've not played the Super Bee but for what you say, Rambler for the win, more Deluxe styleee

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• gatheredinsonggatheredinsong Frets: 697
    edited May 26
    It's a green one as well, ffs!  s
    (green with envy expression ;) )
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9794
    Boromedic said:

I reckon Super-Bee is the other best fit for my needs, though I'll be honest I really don't wanna replace my TMDR as that thing is just so damn practical. 
    I hate to stoke gas but I’ve owned both the tmdr and superbee and comparing them is like comparing Man City and Dover Athletic. The bee is wonderful.
    Congrats on the new Carr
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    chris78 said:
    Boromedic said:

I hate to stoke gas but I’ve owned both the tmdr and superbee and comparing them is like comparing Man City and Dover Athletic. The bee is wonderful.
    Congrats on the new Carr
    Yeah I don't imagine I would argue. It's part of why I'm happy not to think about it. And happy I don't have a dealer within 1000 miles!! 
  • keirkeir Frets: 146
    @stickyfiddle ;

The demos for this sound amazing and I like the idea of having one amp that will be gigable and be great to play at home as well. 

How was it at band volumes? What settings did you use? Did you find it had enough headroom for edge of breakup levels of gain?

I currently use an AC30 but it’s a bit overpowered really and no much use for playing at home volumes. I’m also taking my life into my own hands getting it up the stairs after rehearsal once a week, so something a bit more portable would be nice. 
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
    edited June 9
    keir said:
    @stickyfiddle ;;;;

The demos for this sound amazing and I like the idea of having one amp that will be gigable and be great to play at home as well. 

How was it at band volumes? What settings did you use? Did you find it had enough headroom for edge of breakup levels of gain?

I currently use an AC30 but it’s a bit overpowered really and no much use for playing at home volumes. I’m also taking my life into my own hands getting it up the stairs after rehearsal once a week, so something a bit more portable would be nice. 
    I've been busy so only got it up on 16W mode once but it was fantastic.  My happy place is edge of breakup & pedals, and it works well. I tried all settings that night and had a lovely time D Overall I think the super-chimy Hiwatt setting is my favourite but the Vox side is brilliant as well. 

I had earplugs in and it still felt plenty loud enough and could have given a bit more and still felt good. I had it sitting on top of another combo just to get it up off the floor and I could really feel it me in the back when I cranked the pedals as well. It's probably a little bit beamy due to the single speaker and small cab 

One bit of recording from hat session here. I'm the dirtier sound without the slapback. Rig was ES-355 into Jan Ray/Page and Deco. Other cleaner guitar is a 335 via Tonemaster Princeton. 

https://on.soundcloud.com/oT6L9E5U17ozTxHY8
    edited June 9
    Thanks, sounds like it would work well, whenever we’ve played gigs in the past we’ve always been miced up so beam isn’t too much of a problem. 

Did you use it in the 2w setting as well at the 16w then?

ps the link doesn’t seem to work
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
    I have tried to fix the link but I’m on mobile so not 100% if it worked. 

I’ve had it mostly on the attenuator at home. For that it’s phenomenal. Just the perfect master volume, and with the high-low switch as well you can basically always get it sounding great 
    Great, the high low switch sounds like it would be good at full power too 
    How are you getting on with the Bel Ray @stickyfiddle? ;
    edited July 26
    keir said:
    How are you getting on with the Bel Ray @stickyfiddle? ;;
    @keir Still love it. 

I wouldn't say no if if had reverb, but honestly it's the kind of amp that doesn't need it.

Soundwise it's just phenomenal and easily favourite Vox style I've ever played. Also my favourite Hiwatt style, and my favourite Marshall-alike, which is damn good! Hiwatt is probably my favourite just because I love the chime, but all 3 are honestly fantastic. 

If I had to nitpick the handle is very stiff and square-sided, so it's a bit of a pain to carry over medium-long distances, but that's a really small issue in the scheme of things
    edited July 26
    Brilliant, cheers. 

Have you had chance to play it loud / with a drummer? 

The only thing that causing me to have a slight reservation is that there is no master on the full power so not sure if I could find the sweet spot 

The plan would be to sell my Bad Cats and AC30 and have this as my sole amp