Doug Ingle (Iron Butterfly)

PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1531
edited May 25 in Tributes
Doug Ingle, the founding singer and organist Iron Butterfly has died at the age of 78.  For some of us of a certain age, the song "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida", was something to drink and freak out to (along with "Out Demons Out").   I had a friend who had scratched "Don't play this side" in to the A-side of the album.  He was the last of the original line up who recorded this album.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24202
    I do love that album (or as you say, side 2 of that album!), although I'm not sure I've ever heard anything else they recorded.  Writing, singing and playing that one track's not a bad legacy, really.

RIP
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4078
    Had the album, just played the title track too.
    Absolutely loved it till a mate noticed a similarity with another piece after the drum solo which once heard can't be unheard, it took the shine off for a while, I'm okay with it now.  I'll put it in spoiler in case it's a thing.
    After the drum solo, when the organ is back in and doodling around it gradually appears to be a variation on the theme of God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen.  Like I say, once you know it, you can't un-hear it.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4803
    Used to groove to this at the Temple in the 70's.  

Still do in fact.  It's the sort of thing I love being not too short or too long and not overly pretentious.

RIP Doug.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.