Ten Years After - 2008

What's Hot
Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23609
edited May 26 in Music
I fell asleep watching YouTube this evening and woke up to this Ten Years After gig from 2008.

No Alvin Lee (RIP), the guitarist/singer is a guy called Joe Gooch, I've never heard of him until today.  Some people are going to hate this - too much gain, whatever - and fair enough if they do, but I think the interplay between Gooch and Leo Lyons is amazing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14765
    tFB Trader
    In a big fan of the original TYA - whilst Alvin was considered a speed merchant after Woodstock I think some of those licks are a bit messy  - Plus what was fast then is pedestrian today 

I like his riffs and the feel/groove of many of their songs and a great band behind him 

will have a listen to the above shortly 
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1177
    One of my first records was Cricklewood Green...still got it.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23609
    They're one of those long-established British blues-rock bands (like Trapeze, Foghat or Savoy Brown) that I've been aware of forever, without ever really hearing much of their music.  This was a totally accidental discovery but I really enjoyed it.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5009
    I like Ten Years After - I think Watt is my favourite album; they stepped into doing songs instead of 12-bar blues.
    A strange story: I went to a record fair and met Jimmy Page there; I showed him what I'd bought and he said that's a great album when he spotted Ssssh. A week later it was announced that Alvin Lee had died.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12513
    He was a bit of a hero to me and my fellow teenage musicians back in the 1970s, but for some reason TYA never really nailed it post-Woodstock... I'm not really sure why.  It's not as if that blues-rock genre went out of favour - far from it.  They just kind of dropped off the radar, certainly from my perspective.
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 293
    They were “getting it together in the country”. Good band though. I had to learn a song of theirs recently which led me to listen to Cricklewood Green sgain. Good album.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4764
    First gig I went to with the first mrsrlw was TYA at the Coliseum in September 1971.   Very very loud and very very impressivt too.

If ever I'm feeling depressed beyond the normal ups and downs of life, I watch their Woodstock performance of Going Home, which always makes me smile.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 663
    Really Enjoyed the You Tube Clip.....Cheers !
    Loved Ten Years After in the late 60's & early 70's.....the reason why I bought my first ever Guitar
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19369
    rlw said:
    First gig I went to with the first mrsrlw was TYA at the Coliseum in September 1971.   Very very loud and very very impressivt too.

If ever I'm feeling depressed beyond the normal ups and downs of life, I watch their Woodstock performance of Going Home, which always makes me smile.
    I saw them two or three days before you, when they were at Newcastle City Hall on the 16th September '71.
    Great gig, what a noise. City Hall was always a top venue ;) Alvin was a truly great player & the band were so tight it was very memorable.
     Did Alvin do the playing his guitar strings with a drumstick, then detuning it & retuning on the fly, all the while continuing to play? I was bloody impressed at his showmanship & the spot on accuracy of his playing & tuning, all done without modern electronic tuning aids! RIP.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14765
    tFB Trader
    I have the bootleg version of TYA live - think from 2/3 different gigs all from around the early 70's - Love it - Have a few other albums of theirs as well and a compilation as well - But that live album is my fav 
  • guyinlyonguyinlyon Frets: 335
    "Ten Years After - 2008"

So, 2018?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4764
    rlw said:

I saw them two or three days before you, when they were at Newcastle City Hall on the 16th September '71.
    Great gig, what a noise. City Hall was always a top venue ;) Alvin was a truly great player & the band were so tight it was very memorable.
     Did Alvin do the playing his guitar strings with a drumstick, then detuning it & retuning on the fly, all the while continuing to play? I was bloody impressed at his showmanship & the spot on accuracy of his playing & tuning, all done without modern electronic tuning aids! RIP.

He did all of that clever stuff and probably more.   As you say, to do it on the fly and keep playing in time was bloody amazing back then.

And thinking about it, that gig was probably one of the loudest I ever attended as my ears were ringing for days after. 
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • MarchMarch Frets: 287
    edited June 19
    I knew Joe growing up, he was serious about a career playing guitar from a young age. He always has been a damn fine player. Incidentally, one of his earliest bands was called Aurora, which was a twin guitar affair featuring Troy Redfern whose star has been on the rise in recent years, all the power to him too.