Pelican les paul hardcase

What's Hot
robdynamiterobdynamite Frets: 95
Morning all, I was wondering if anyone is aware of anywhere I can get a Pelican case for a les paul? I'm needing something heavy duty for protection with travelling and i've heard nothing but exceptional things regarding pelican in other walks of life/the industry but in the UK, it seems like getting one, especially with the fitment for a les paul already cut in, is pretty difficult!

Any leads would be appreciated, thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    edited May 26
    A Hiscox artist (thicker shell than the standard) is about the best you will get without spending silly money. Plus it looks great in ivory colour.
    I bought a pro ii for flying with a dreadnought.

A pelican case is probably more bendy than you want and relies on foam and a box shape for rigidity.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    edited May 27
    It's the 1745 Long Peli Air Case that's been used for the LP fitted foam:
    The UK distributor Peli Products UK sells the same 1745 long air case for £506 inc VAT but you would have to cut the foam yourself by the look of it.

Bax Music, Netherlands and other European countries is selling this case for £434.  Only one in stock (I sound like Booking.com there) and they deal with the VAT at source for shipping to the UK and it's free delivery.  Delivery can be a bit slow through Bax for certain items though.

Peli Products UK do custom foam inserts but I would guess that this option would be quite expensive even though they will have access to the CNC template for the LP-ready case available from the USA head office:

The case with uncut foam costs $382 vs the one with foam precut for a LP costs $477, i.e. 25% or $95 extra for the ready made case.  Going by that I would guess that a case customised and sold here might cost something like £630 odd quid!

The foam that comes as standard in those cases looks to be the "pick and pluck" type in a cubic pattern and perhaps multi-layered.  That won't be nearly as resilient and supportive as a slab of foam cut to a custom shape.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3259
    I’d also checkout https://www.scottdixoninc.com/products/cases/  Kind of touring industry standard
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3466
    edited May 26
    I highly rate the Pelican guitar cases - yes I know that they are not specific for guitar use, I know they're not cheap, and neither is the foam inserts - you would surprised by how great a collection of templates they have I have never had to supply one and I have a number of them not just for guitars, to me they are worth the money.  I get mine that I want custom form fitting foam inserts from, through the US.  Another one I highly rate is SKB - their cases are basically Pelican cases, some even say that they are better than Pelican cases - I prefer Pelican cases mainly for the colour choices which is a custom order nowadays for most of their cases, SKB actually supply the cases with the correct form fitted inserts for guitars , this is their Les Paul case, BAX sell it for about £300, as well as the Pelican case with the foam.  Another two brands that are also very good is Storm, and Otter though these are not so easy to get outside the US, especially the larger sized ones, and again they are basically Pelican cases.