Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Help me choose a multi FX unit?

What's Hot
MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
edited November 2014 in FX
Looking for a multi fx pedal/unit to cover all the pedals I need but can't (yet) justify buying an individual stomp box for. My problem with most multi fx is that I don't need (or want) amp modelling, and I don't really need any OD or boosts or anything like that. And a looper isn't needed either.

The kind of things I do want are delays, reverbs, modulations, and other cool stuff like that.

Price range is anything as long as it isn't stupid money, I'm not replacing stomp boxes or amps, just using it along with my amp and stompboxes. Cheers!
I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31139
    TC Nova System go for sub 200 regularly and is exactly what you want.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10771
    edited November 2014
    Edit - thinking again, if you only need a few effects, I would really say think long and hard about individual stompboxes and building up your collection as you get the money. As a first stage you could get a fantastic OD and a delay off the Bay for 100 quid. With a delay you won't really need reverb unless you really want that surf sound. There are 2203 delay pedals on ebay.co.uk at the moment including a DD3 for £50, and 3971 overdrive pedals including a tubescreamer for £50. Those are industry standard, you're never going to need to get rid of them or worry about them becoming obsolete. And you'll certainly be able to sell them for that again. Then an industry-standard wah for 50 quid, and a chorus or phaser for another 50 and you're sorted. If you're willing to hunt around you'll get 6 pedals for the 200 quid.

If you're needing more than 6 effects then yes, the multi fx options start to look attractive for putting in the loop but you're likely still to want an off-unit wah and OD pedal in front of the amp anyway.

I have been round and round this question and I really recommend the pedal route - they're simple to use, tactile, high quality, rugged. Also you're more likely to actually use each effect - I never used the tremolo or flanger on my G-system but quite often activate them in my pedal setup. Really the only problem with the pedal route is cable reliability.

Obviously my selection has nothing to do with what you might need but it's fun thinking about it! - so with 200 quid I would target getting the following in battered but working condish, in order:
    Boss SD1 or Ibanez TS9
    Crybaby wah
    Boss DD3
    MXR Phase 90
    Boss CE2 or CE5
    If any money left, a TU2 (or a power supply and daisy chain - forgot about that!)

Edit - just remembered you don't need OD, but you get the picture. Good luck!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • The nova system? Haven't really looked into those, is there a particular model which I should look at?
    Are the boss ME series any good in comparison to the nova system?
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Zoom G3 or G3X

great value
    does all you want and more
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3021
    I've been using a Zoom G3 to cover all my Modulation/Delay/Reverb type effects for a while, does the job very well, just don't use the amp modelling/drive patches on it..

All that said I am looking to move it on so if you were interested.. ;-)
  • I was gonna suggest a Zoom G9.2tt

it does have amp modelling but it can be switched off very easily. Also great to have the modelling if your amp goes bang though. 
    They can be picked up for under £100 on ebay and the have 2 expression pedals (one of which moves 2 ways).
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17878
    tFB Trader
    I would say beware of the Nova System. 
    They sound very good, but they are absolutely horrific to use. I grew to despise mine. 

The Zoom G3 is perfect for your needs unless you need patch switching. They sound great. 

I'm using a Boss GT-100 at the moment. It's very flexible and powerful and quite easy to use, but it's massive and might be overkill for your needs. You could try a Boss ME-80 if you want something a bit simpler. 

The Line6 M9 is also very good, but quite a lot of money compared to the Zoom G3 which is a lot cheaper or the GT-100 which is a similar price, but more powerful. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31139
    The ME70 is amazing for the moeny.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• I will have a look at all these! Worth noting I really would only want to use this as a individual stomp box thing... Ie no presets and everything more turning individual fx on and off :)
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2036
    The Zoom MS70CDR is great for very little money too - all it does is reverbs, delays, modulations. Same quality as the Zoom G3, which is great, but has even more types.

Boss ME70 is cheap 2nd hand now that the ME80 is out and is good too, but quite big. It won't have as many mod/ rev/ delay options as the Zoom.

I have a Zoom G1 which is a stripped back G3 which is also great and only costs £49 new - loads of modulations, 4 or 5 delays and 4 or 5 reverbs (less choice than the others but enough to give you a feel for what you'd like if you decide to buy individual pedals.

It also has amp models, dirt and a looper + drum machine - you can ignore them if you want. Incredible value. 
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    If you don't want or need OD distortion or any amp modelling then go for something rack mount like at G major.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Line 6 M9/M13.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    edited November 2014
    If you are happy with used, there are a few Boss Gt 6's about, I recently got one in a trade and I can't believe how good it is, I use mine straight into the di on my sound card and the sounds are top notch, and really expressive.

Negstivess are: it's HUGE! but I only see that as a bad thing as it has to go on the back of a motor bike to the studio!

It also takes a while to figure out, but the manual does the job.
    On the flip side of that most parameters can be adjusted without going into menus as it has tons of real buttons and knobs.

For £120 2nd hand it's been hands down the best multi fx I have used.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2343
    Had a bunch of these and the one that has stayed on my board is the line 6 m5. Great little box but you can only use 1 effect at a time.

Hated the nova system, as Although it sounds gigs it is a pain to program, the zooms (g3, g5) always needed tweaking and were just a bit fiddly for me.
  • Mkjackary said:
    I will have a look at all these! Worth noting I really would only want to use this as a individual stomp box thing... Ie no presets and everything more turning individual fx on and off :)
    I would look at the line 6 route then. Pretty much everything else is banks and presets. 
    There is an M13 for £200 on the classifieds. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3021
    ^ You say that but the way I've got the G3 set up most of the time is effectively as 3 standalone stomps that I turn on and off individually
  • if money is no object get an axe fx 2.

expensive at first but ultimately will save you in the long run. i must have spent a fortune before getting the axe on pedals and fx units - i went through zoom and line 6 and none of them were satisfactory.

since buying the axe fx 2 last year i have not spend a single penny on either new effects or amps
  • viz said:
    Wizdom

close2u said:
    Zoom G3 or G3X

great value
    does all you want and more

Never been much of an FX user, yet bought the G3X , it's simple to use and sounds great
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    £1599 for the Axe FX 2, and possibly a bit over kill? :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1332
    Even tho you don't want amp modelling I would still go for a multi fx having it on board as it comes usefull when practicing home or doing some recordings.
    I've been using pod hd500x for a year or so for delays, reverbs and mods only. My main clean and overdriven tones still come from mesa express, all connected with 4cm method. It also switches amp channels via midi which is a big bonus as it keeps everything simplified.