Electric strings on an accoustic?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3757
Anyone tried this? My accoustic needs new strings and I only have 10's electric strings, am I wasting my time?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    I’ve put electric strings on before. I only use 11 acoustic gauge so going to 10 electric didn’t affect the set up. Sounded jangly but lost volume and bass. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    It won't damage the guitar if that is of a concern to you - It just won't give you the best tone - various bronze options generally are far more popular tone wise 

Electric strings on an acoustic are fine if you utilise a magnetic sound hole pick-up, as in this instance the pick-up prefers the magnetic relationship, like an electric guitar, from such strings 

You'll find electric strings on an acoustic just sound thin and weedy
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    You’re wasting a set of strings. They will work, as in making sound, but the tone and volume will probably be poor. They’re not the same as Monel acoustic strings, and even those give something of a variable result depending on the guitar.

Presumably the old strings are still playable for a couple of days?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    edited May 28
    I've actually done this today, with a set of 10-52 electric strings as I'm currently trying to get a better sound through pickups etc and it was suggested in my thread about IRs. I had a cheap set of strings in my box so thought no real loss if it sounds awful (until I get my silk & steel strings) but actually i really like the sound. Might be a bit lacking in bass but it sounds much better than the couple of bronze sets I've put on recently (and taken off both within a week as they sounded awful) and much easier to play with the lower tension and easier bends etc. Not plugged in with a pickup yet but already I prefer the acoustic sound

My acoustic is only a cheap and nasty Big Baby Taylor though so I'd guess it would be sacrilege to a proper acoustic player with an actual proper acoustic guitar...
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726

Electric strings on an acoustic are fine if you utilise a magnetic sound hole pick-up, as in this instance the pick-up prefers the magnetic relationship, like an electric guitar, from such strings 

Magnetic soundhole pickups are designed for bronze or brass winds on the wound strings, so I would think that steel or nickel electric strings will probably sound unbalanced with the wound strings sounding too loud.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    Not wasting your time, but probably your money unless you just happen to discover that you like a much "thinner" sound from that acoustic.  I've tried it out of curiosity on a couple of acoustic guitars and I found that they simply didn't drive the soundboard enough to sound good to my ear.  The strings will feel a lot easier to play on due to the smoother winding on the D, A and E strings and you'll be able to bend the unwound G string more if that's your thing, but if you're looking for a full acoustic sound you will probably be disappointed.  You may also get buzzing from the nut because the thinner electric strings will have a bit of play in the wider slots in the nut and the strings will have less tension due to the thinner gauge.  Due to the lower tension than thicker acoustic strings the relief will be a lot less, gone completely, or the neck may even go into a very slight backbow if you had the guitar set up for acoustic 12 gauge or above.  You may get rattle or buzz from the strings hitting the frets with less relief in the neck.  Try it and see.  No harm done.  You will almost certainly get a brighter, shallower and quieter tone.
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 156
    tFB Trader
    Its an interesting sound and some people really like it. When I was at D'Addario  we released a string called Nickel Bronze which is kind of a hybrid string: nickel-plated phosphor bronze.

• SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 876
    I did it by accident and thought why does my guitar sound shit!
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1306
    I did it once by mistake when I was very tired and didn't read the packet properly. They were the right gauge though and it didn't sound as bad as I would have thought. Still prefer the proper acoustic ones though so I'd only do it again if there was no other options. 
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1051
    I use 9-42, to match my electrics.  A custom assembled set bought as single sytrings, as the bronze strings certainly sound better than the standard electric ones, and it seem impossible to buy acoustic sets this light.

To me it sounds excellent and is by far easier to play - so I do play my acoustics.  11s and up are a struggle to play and don't sound better - so simply don't get played.

I'm not convinced by the volume question,  pretty sure heavier strings don't move as much for the same input, so the energy into the top's the same.  Of course heavier strings play differently, so there's not a meaningful comparison anyway.  It's just different.

I'd never again torture mysefl with heavy strings on an acoustic.  All pain, no gain.

• CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3466
    edited May 28
    Waste of strings, there is a reason why there are acoustic strings, and electric strings, and have been for a long time now, it's not some huge conspiracy that every string brand and manufacturer is in on.