NGD: MIJ Burny Les Paul Custom RLC70

What's Hot
LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
Well, it's been ages since I had a NGD. I bought this on a recent trip to Tokyo and had it shipped back. It arrived today without any import costs apart from shipping. UPS smashed the case up pretty well, though; it's a wonder it didn't have a neck break.

It's most likely a Fujigen or Dyna-produced Burny. Has the VH-1 Gotoh pickups and other usual MIJ hardware. I guess it's around 20-25 years old, which is pretty staggering considering how good condition it is. It's barely been played and has only slight tarnishing of the gold hardware. It sounds and plays great.

I'm not sure what I'll do with the pickups yet because right now I only have my Champ at home to play through with various dirt pedals. Anyway, it's really good and definitely scratches the itch...I'm big big fan of Mahavishnu/Crimson/Sonny Sharrock etc. Unsure whether to leave pickguard off. Looks cool but maybe a bit too rawk. Anyway, pics:

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maharg101maharg101 Frets: 781
    That's lovely. HNGD !
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    edited May 28
    Thanks. Forgot to mention I have a BK True Grit humbucker here that I had intended to put in it. I'm not so sure though. The VH1s sound pretty fucking good. The best thing about the guitar is that it looks like it says Bunny. 
  • photekphotek Frets: 1507
    I take it they are grey plastic covered wire VH1s rather than the earlier braided leads?

Lovely guitar that, enjoy!
    Exactly. Grey plastic covered wire with Gotoh faintly embossed on the stickers under VH1, which presumably stood for vintage humbucker 1? Either way, these are not the OG VH1s for sure, to my ears they sound like hotter PAF style. The neck unit is a bit woofy sounding. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete.RPete.R Frets: 506
    Congrats !

Looks mighty fine.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3432
    Needs a bigsby. ;)
  • photekphotek Frets: 1507
    Loobs said:
    Exactly. Grey plastic covered wire with Gotoh faintly embossed on the stickers under VH1, which presumably stood for vintage humbucker 1? Either way, these are not the OG VH1s for sure, to my ears they sound like hotter PAF style. The neck unit is a bit woofy sounding. 
    Worth trying the old trick of winding the neck pickup down so it’s flush with (or even below) the surround and winding the pole pieces up a few turns. I quite like those pickups :+1: 
  • SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 756
    edited May 29
    I never knew Gotoh made pickups for anyone; but then I have a Washburn with Egnater-branded pickups, so what do I know?
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5214
    Noiceeeeee

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

photek said:
    Loobs said:
    Worth trying the old trick of winding the neck pickup down so it’s flush with (or even below) the surround and winding the pole pieces up a few turns. I quite like those pickups :+1: 
    Will give that a try. 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2149
    I love the Gotoh HBs in my Fujigens - If I changed them then it would just be PAF for PAF. Wouldn't mind putting a DP100 in just for fun though.
    What's a DP100? I find the BK Black Dog I have in another guitar a lot more nuanced and refined than the VH1 in this guitar. In fact, I'd say it just sounds better, though it's pretty hard to describe exactly how. 
    Ah, Dimarzio Super Distortion.