Room mic a full band

What's Hot
I'm looking for a simple, rough and ready way to mic up a full band at rehearsal. I don't want to have to set up individual mics for everyone, so was thinking of using 1 or 2 room mics and go from there.

What would people say for:
1) Which mics to use
2) how to position them
3) whether this is a complete waste of time

Cheers
Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3357
    1 x iPhone
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 145
    tFB Trader
    There is a couple of ways you could do this.

If its just rehearsal we just plonk a phone down in the middle of the room. Works fine for reference.

If you have time to experiment and want something which might be commercially usable:
    Take two mics that have figure of 8 polar patterns, such as ribbon mics. Set them up in the middle of the room so that you are capturing an almost 360 sound. Position the musicians around the mics, play with distance to help level the volume etc. It's quite difficult if you are using a loud acoustic drumkit, but for simple acoustic arrangements and folk bands etc, it can be a really great aesthetic.

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1123
    One of those Zoom H5 recorder things I would have thought, if you're looking for quick and easy that is....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 929
    One of those Zoom H5 recorder things I would have thought, if you're looking for quick and easy that is....
    This.

Or the cheaper H1 or H2 models still good too. I like my H5 with a couple of extra mics when I have the time (I find they lack a bit of low end, so taking a DI from the bass can help get a better mix)
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 403
    edited May 30
    +1 for Zoom. I've got one of the older H4n* models, given that they have the stereo pair plus two mic inputs, you can add a kick drum mic, output from a desk...etc etc

*edited for clarity
    +1 for Zoom. I've got one of the older H2 models, given that they have the stereo pair plus two mic inputs, you can add a kick drum mic, output from a desk...etc etc
    I think that's the H4 with the extra inputs. The H2 is very useful though, can do surround sound.

• colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 403
    +1 for Zoom. I've got one of the older H2 models, given that they have the stereo pair plus two mic inputs, you can add a kick drum mic, output from a desk...etc etc
    I think that's the H4 with the extra inputs. The H2 is very useful though, can do surround sound.

Ahh yeah, you're right. I've got an old H4n
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1573
    I’ve had zero success with this. Have tried portable recorders, iPhones, recorders and mics, and am now going to attempt recorder with NT5s to try and get something of a decent recording!
    I’ve had zero success with this. Have tried portable recorders, iPhones, recorders and mics, and am now going to attempt recorder with NT5s to try and get something of a decent recording!
    What counts as a decent recording for your purposes? Being able to hear what went on in rehearsal, for the purposes of fine tuning etc, or decent enough to put out.

Some recordings I've made with Zoom H5 have certainly been released (built-in mics plus couple of spot mics), but tends to be instrumental music without a PA, so maybe less suited for very loud rehearsal all through a PA? Dunno.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27695
    Modern iPhones are bloody good these days to give you a reference of who played what, what worked, what didn't, etc. 

Those various Zoom handhelds are the next step up and very good at what they do - particularly the ones with extra inputs for e.g. kick and/or vocals. Don't forget you need to mix "in the room" with any of these things - they can't make magic out of a shit in-room sound 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1573
    What counts as a decent recording for your purposes? Being able to hear what went on in rehearsal, for the purposes of fine tuning etc, or decent enough to put out.

Some recordings I've made with Zoom H5 have certainly been released (built-in mics plus couple of spot mics), but tends to be instrumental music without a PA, so maybe less suited for very loud rehearsal all through a PA? Dunno.

Something that I can listen to without wincing.

Something that I can listen to without wincing.

I've yet to achieve that if it's myself I'm recording!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleKinesisTeleKinesis Frets: 22
    For rough recordings I use a Zoom R16. Has got inputs for 8 mics, but has 2 onboard, and works fine if you've got suitable expectations.

Have on occasion used the onboards for the room, and then mic up cabs or whatever as well.

It can also be used as a DAW control surface or interface, not played around with that much. I don't know if they're still made (bought mine ages ago), but might be worth a look at 2nd hand.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929
    Used the zoom H2n for exactly this purpose for years. Was super easy. 

What I will say though, is that I’d have a few long recordings, and then chop them up in a DAW. Otherwise I had to be really disciplined with turning the recorder on and off. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2432
    edited June 1
    Adji said:
    There is a couple of ways you could do this.

If its just rehearsal we just plonk a phone down in the middle of the room. Works fine for reference.

If you have time to experiment and want something which might be commercially usable:
    Take two mics that have figure of 8 polar patterns, such as ribbon mics. Set them up in the middle of the room so that you are capturing an almost 360 sound. Position the musicians around the mics, play with distance to help level the volume etc. It's quite difficult if you are using a loud acoustic drumkit, but for simple acoustic arrangements and folk bands etc, it can be a really great aesthetic.
    You need to be quite careful with this technique. Crossed figure-8 mics don't have a 360 degree stereo acceptance angle. They have 90 degree angles at the front and back and you need to make sure all the people are within those zones. Any source that's to the sides will sound weird and phasey on playback.

If you do want 360 degree capture, a pair of omni mics fairly close together will do it, or Mid-Sides with an omni and a figure-8 mic.
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4214
    Seriously, a phone but reduce the volume so it’s not too distorted. It’s warts and all, put it out away where an audience would be, so if band sounds badly mixed it generally is. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27695
    Looks like Zoom has just released some new versions of the handheld recorders - I assume this means some places will still have stock of the old models at lower prices! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • danowensdanowens Frets: 28
    I used to ask everyone to point their iPhones at themselves and record a voice note, then later I would add all the separate audio in Logic and do some very basic EQing to get a pretty reasonable mix of our jazz band. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    Zoom recorder and a decent mic is the way to do it.

An omni is probably best, depending on the room.
    I usually use a C414, but that is because I have them to hand.
    There are loads of budget mics, if you aren't using this for release then just something decent will be fine.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4162
    Ooh 32 bit floating point recording is excellent technology.   Those new zoom gadgets just need a decent small form factor, low light video camera with 4hr battery on board and every band will buy one.