Bass players - What happened to all the EB2s?

What's Hot
JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 356
https//cdn.britannica.com/08/199508-050-E7C99370/Animals-Hilton-Valentine-John-Steel-Eric-Burdon.jpg Whenever I watch old TV footage of 1960s rock bands the bassist often has a Gibson EB2 or an Epiphone Rivoli bass (semi-acoustic 335 shape but four-string bass, sometimes with a single pickup, sometimes with 2).  They were almost as common as Fender Precision’s back then.
Try and find one now - they have completely disappeared, rare as rocking-horse sh*t.
If I search on eBay there are very few, and mostly (oddly) in Japan.
What’s going on?  They were always my favourite bass.  Does nobody want them?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28134
    I don’t know but I love them. My guess is a lot of collector types have one but don’t play them out because a P is just so much easier. 

But I’d love one. 2 pickups in red please! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete.RPete.R Frets: 480
    edited May 29
    I've got one, it's a FGN prototype, made for the Frankfurt Musicmesse around 2010,
    sadly did not make it into regular production.

There are two other colored ones, a sunburst and one with flames made in 2012, owned by a bassplayer in Finland

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 356
    Pete.R said:
    I've got one, it's a FGN prototype, made for the Frankfurt Musicmesse around 2010,
    sadly did not make it into regular production.

There are two other colored ones, a sunburst and one with flames made in 2012, owned by a bassplayer in Finland

Those are very cool, you’re a lucky man Pete!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14920
    Gibson/Epiphone stopped making the EB-2/Rivoli, presumably to concentrate on the better-selling solid body models.

My guess is a lot of collector types have one but don’t play them out because a P is just so much easier. 
    Exactly this. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6219
    Andy Baxter has a couple if you're looking for one -
    https://www.andybaxterbass.com/collections/gibson-basses
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73537
    I had a 60s EB-2 and Rivoli - the EB-2 was stock, the Rivoli had been defretted and refinished in some sort of 'brown varnish'... but to be fair, I did pay £80 for it. (Albeit in about 1990, but the EB-2 cost me £450 around the same time, I think.)

They sounded great, but they have the same problem as 335s for me... too big, and the neck is too far to the left - just unnecessarily awkward to play. I like basses with the bridge close to the end of the body. Unfortunately the body shape doesn't lend itself to a more deeply-set neck, unless you want no top-fret access.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2079
    I'm not sure why the EB2D didn't stay like the 4003, as they're halfway between that and a Precision. The 3-point bridge sucks, but the EB3 and Thunderbird are still around.

I had lessons on a Harmony and liked The Monkees' bass tone etc, so it's a shame there's less choice for a semi acoustic.

Peerless made the Epiphone Rivoli in the 90s and there's a lot of love for the Jack Cassidy Model, but I went for their custom offering, for the 5 piece neck, bridge and additional pickup...

https://i.imgur.com/Wr3x9xP.jpg
    I've seen some nice Gretsch stuff that's recent and then you can go Hofner, but (re the latter) I prefer a bit more note definition. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 246
    Your link doesn't work.

I see EB2s and Rivolis for sale quite frequently locally at auctions, at vintage guitar stores and on the bass guitar forum Basschat. If you're limiting yourself to eBay, then you may not find them. 

Also, a quick search on Reverb shows 12 EB2s and one Rivoli for sale in the UK.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14920
    There is an American-made Epiphone Rivoli for sale at Main Street Music, Pembroke.* (They are in the telephone directory and online.) I cannot remember the price. I doubt that the shop is willing to risk post/courier.

Contact George.

* No affiliation.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.