Queen's back catalogue value...

What's Hot
KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19399
Seems to be around $1 Billion dollars... eek!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy00e8lgynpo
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23674
    Excellent, the sale of the catalogue will make for a rousing finale to the Bohemian Rhapsody 2 movie. 

Then Bohemian Rhapsody 3 can be all about what they did with the money, including an exciting montage in which they consult independent financial advisors.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 643
    Would love to know how granular they get when figuring out the price in these deals. Be fascinating to see what percentage of that sum is just Bohemian Rhapsody, what a song like Fat Bottomed Girls is deemed to be worth etc.
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 354
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7747
    barnstorm said:
    Be fascinating to see ..... what a song like Fat Bottomed Girls is deemed to be worth ......
    Plenty of booty I would have thought :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24694
    Philly_Q said:
    Excellent, the sale of the catalogue will make for a rousing finale to the Bohemian Rhapsody 2 movie. 

Then Bohemian Rhapsody 3 can be all about what they did with the money, including an exciting montage in which they consult independent financial advisors.
    ...and decide to whore out Freddie's songs to any TV ad agency for tuppence whilst doing tours as "Queen" with only two of them in it.  
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12413
    Philly_Q said:

I want to see a song and dance routine in Bo Rhap 3 with Brian May and some blinged up badgers dancing to another one bites the dust.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12413
    Emp_Fab said:
    Philly_Q said:

...and decide to whore out Freddie's songs to any TV ad agency for tuppence whilst doing tours as "Queen" with only two of them in it.  
    To be 100% fair, I've heard they put on a pretty good show.

World has changed, you can pay a fortune to see ABBA with zero original members and some holograms, and people love it.

Wait for my new show to launch, it's called "feel young again, but this time, with money..." 
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5010
    Emp_Fab said:
    Philly_Q said:

How many original members are in lots of bands?
    Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Bay City Rollers, etc.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10015
    I don't watch much tv to be fair, but the only Queen song I can think of on an advert was written by Brian May I think
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    prowla said:
    Rolling Stones - 2
    Deep Purple - 1
    Black Sabbath - somewhere between 1 and 4, or not applicable... I really don't know.
    Uriah Heep - 1
    Bay City Rollers - 0, I think?  Maybe Woody's version are still touring, but I'm not absolutely sure if he was an original member.
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1465
    Philly_Q said:
    prowla said:
    Rolling Stones - 2
    Deep Purple - 1

I think you are being a bit pedantic about Deep Purple. As far as I know, there are still 3 members of the classic line-up (the one everyone thinks of as DP) in the current touring band. Also, Ronnie Wood might not be an original Stone but he has been in the band far longer than Brian Jones ever was.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19399
    Philly_Q said:
    prowla said:
    Rolling Stones - 2
    Deep Purple - 1

I think you are being a bit pedantic about Deep Purple. As far as I know, there are still 3 members of the classic line-up (the one everyone thinks of as DP) in the current touring band. Also, Ronnie Wood might not be an original Stone but he has been in the band far longer than Brian Jones ever was.
    The clue is in the word 'original' surely? A founding member, not one that came later & stayed longer  ;)
    edited May 31
    Philly_Q said:
    prowla said:
    Rolling Stones - 2
    Deep Purple - 1
    I don't think I'm being pedantic.  For this purpose I wouldn't really count Dave Evans as an original member of AC/DC or Al Atkins as an original member of Judas Priest, because they'd gone before the respective first albums.  But Rod Evans and Nick Simper recorded three whole albums with Deep Purple before they were sacked.  That's as many as Coverdale and Hughes.

If you want to go with long tenure, fair enough... Bernie Shaw and Phil Lanzon have been in Uriah Heep decades longer than their predecessors, so they'd have to be included too.  But they didn't play on the classic albums... and neither did Ronnie Wood in the Stones, arguably.
    The clue is in the word 'original' surely? A founding member, not one that came later & stayed longer  ;)
    So much more succinct than my waffling.
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1465
    Philly_Q said:
    prowla said:
    Rolling Stones - 2
    Deep Purple - 1

Yes, I noted the word 'original' in my comment. I still think @Kittyfrisk ; is being pedantic. In the context of a band that has been around 40-50 years, "original" members doesn't necessarily have to mean founding members but can equally be ones that have been around from near the beginning or from when the band got into its stride. Ronnie Wood is of course a bit of a stretch (as I acknowledged) but Ian Gillan and Roger Glover are, to all intents and purposes, original members of Deep Purple. I quite like the first couple of albums with Rod Evans et al but they are hardly classic Purple.
    For your 'pedantic', I'd prefer accurate. Words have specific meanings for just such reasons.
    Vague is another one :-D
    Come on guys, if we keep on pedantically arguing about pedantry we should be able to stretch this out to a few mare pages.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29170
    Philly_Q said:
    Come on guys, if we keep on pedantically arguing about pedantry we should be able to stretch this out to a few mare pages.
    I for one admire the use of "mare" to hint at a horse being flogged well after death. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I for one admire the use of "mare" to hint at a horse being flogged well after death. 
    Sadly @Sporky I'm not that clever.  It must have been some kind of Freudian slip though, there's no auto-correct on this computer and "o" is nowhere near "a" on the keyboard.
    >:)