Multi Region Blu Ray players?

Hello

I had to buy a DVD from the states (couldn't get it in this country). Anyway to get the quota for free shipping, I ordered some blurays. I naively figured this multizone nonsense died out ten years ago.
I use a PS3 which doubles as a bluray player. Anyway surprise, surprise the discs won't play.

So suggestions on a post card please. I've looked into this briefly. My laymans understanding is that the Bluray zoning is directly linked to the hardware. I can buy a £50 bluray player from a website which has been set up for all three regions for £150.
Ideally I'd like to find a £50 player which i can just tap a code into to unlock the regions :p (saw a youtube video on this).

At the moment I only have three discs which I can't play (Hannibal season 1,2 and American Psycho). So I'm thinking should I just sell the discs off (can't send them back opened the packaging like a tool) learn the lesson and move on? If I could pick up a multi zone player for £80 or so then I'd be chuffed :)
I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Have you tried googling for an unlock code for your player?

My impression was that techs need this in order to fix/test the machine, so there'll always be an unlock code, it's just a matter of whether you can find out what it is or not.

Having said that, I bought a multiregion Sony bluray player from Richer Sounds a year or two back, and I'm sure it wasn't much over 100.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2176
    @mart i have tried googling. By all accounts it's pretty much impossible for a PS3. Unless you buy an american system. Even then the player has to be disconnected from the playstation network.

I will have a look on Richersounds :) thank you.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Sorry, I failed to register the bit where you said you were playing them on a PS3; that's completely beyond my ken I'm afraid.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24781
    It can be done on a PS3 - but you need a soldering iron and really steady hands!
    It can be done on a PS3 - but you need a soldering iron and really steady hands!

Ha ha, you've not seen the insides of my wah pedal! :P I think I'm most likely going to sell the discs and take the hit, its either that or spend £150 on a bluray player
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    DrJazzTap said:

Ha ha, you've not seen the insides of my wah pedal! :P I think I'm most likely going to sell the discs and take the hit, its either that or spend £150 on a bluray player
    You can get players cheaper than that.
    My V key is broken
    @holnrew I've been looking for most of this evening. I can't see another way around it to be honest. I could buy a cheap panasonic and then a disc off of ebay for £60. But that works out around £120. Can't find any recent forum chatter discussing multi region blu ray players. Tesco used to do one for £60 but that was going back two to three years :(

If you could provide me with any links, it would be greatly appreciated. :)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12028
    I am sure the Tesco Multi Region BluRay player were multi region for DVD not BluRay.

@raymondlin It was a technika BRS510 I believe, but this is going back to 2011. Another one was the Toshiba BDX3200, which could be hacked from the remote.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Sorry, it was only the DVD playback that was region free at that price, I had assumed it would be the Blu-Ray too.
    My V key is broken
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12028
    DrJazzTap said:
    @raymondlin It was a technika BRS510 I believe, but this is going back to 2011. Another one was the Toshiba BDX3200, which could be hacked from the remote.
    Whoa, those are like unicorns ! Never knew any stock machine were multiregion for Bluray. 
    @holnrew Yeah i was only aware of it, after I mentioned to my friend I was getting some Blurays from the states. And he said "oh they'll be region locked". Like i said originally I thought that nonsense died years ago. :(