Connecting a dynamic vocal microphone to a rack unit (TC Elec. M350) with guitar input? Best way?

What's Hot
The unit doesn't have a mic input, but I would like to use it for ambient effects on a mic for live use.
Obviously I need an adapter for the mic to unit, however, should it be a mono or stereo one? Would it better to go Mic > DI Box > rack unit?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10534
    You can use a DI box in reverse but the connector will be the wrong gender. The mic is already balanced and low Z, so using a DI box in the normal sense won't help. Just get a female XRL to mono jack cable and try that. That will work but I don't know if the gain of the rack unit will be in the right ballpark for the output of the mic or whether this will even be important to your application. 

So female XLR to mono jack cable is the best starting point. 

order code DP37174 from CPC.co.uk
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1419
    Ah yes, stupid me I had not though of a different mic cable! If I had half a brain, I'd be twice as thick!
    Would something like this work?
    https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/cp8201-microphone-impedance-matching-transformer

"The Audio-Technica CP8201 Microphone Impedance Matching Transformer is designed to connect a low-impedance microphone to a high-impedance electronic input. The high-quality transformer solves the problem of excessive high-frequency loss and hum pickup."
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    I use a Shure A85F adaptor for that purpose.
    Jimbro66 said:
    I use a Shure A85F adaptor for that purpose.
    Just picked one up
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    The usual way is to go Mic -> Mic Preamp -> FX unit.