Gigging with glasses question

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ScreamingDaveScreamingDave Frets: 586
    BlueStrat said:
    Get laser. 
    one of the best things I've ever done^
    I don’t think laser treatment works with age related close vision loss, does it?  I think the age related loss is because of the muscles not being able to pull the lens taught enough to focus close up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2863
    Danny1969 said:
    I can play without my glasses no problem but I can't see a set list. A few times I've drawn out a big set list and taped it to the back of guitar to get over this. Vanity makes me not want to wear glasses on stage but if I need to read anything I have to. 

I have varifocus now in normal and sunglasses .... I use goggles4u .... just pick your frames and what kind of lenses you want and put your prescription in and they turn up a couple of weeks later in the post
    How on earth do you get varifoclas online given the measurements? I'm really interested as I'm fed up paying stupid money every 2 years
  • BodBod Frets: 1349
    sev112 said:
    Danny1969 said:
    I can play without my glasses no problem but I can't see a set list. A few times I've drawn out a big set list and taped it to the back of guitar to get over this. Vanity makes me not want to wear glasses on stage but if I need to read anything I have to. 

I have varifocus now in normal and sunglasses .... I use goggles4u .... just pick your frames and what kind of lenses you want and put your prescription in and they turn up a couple of weeks later in the post
    How on earth do you get varifoclas online given the measurements? I'm really interested as I'm fed up paying stupid money every 2 years
    I was wondering the same.  I'll soon be on my third attempt at trying varifocals, and I swear that the optician hasn't measured correctly previously.  It's such a critical part and relies heavily on the fit of the frames, so I can't see how it can work online.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10591
    sev112 said:
    Danny1969 said:

Get your eyes tested in Specsavers or similar and they will give you your prescription. On there is the values needed for close and distance reading per eye. 

I chose titanium frames and varifocal lenses and they were £42 delivered. These are the best glasses I've owned, the frames are very thin but so strong and the lenses don't seem to need constant cleaning like glasses I've had from Asda and such. 

When you configure the glasses the price will look twice what it is but when you checkout the discount is applied. Sign up before you order as then you get the deals emailed to you and you can track your order. If you just check out as a guest you can't 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ScreamingDaveScreamingDave Frets: 586
    BlueStrat said:
    Get laser. 
    one of the best things I've ever done^
    I don’t think laser treatment works with age related close vision loss, does it?  I think the age related loss is because of the muscles not being able to pull the lens taught enough to focus close up
    I stand corrected. Apparently the lens can be replaced. Wow!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9831
    As has already been pointed out varifocal lenses vary in price, focal area, and quality. I find I can’t get on with the ones with the smallest focal area so always go up at least one grade. Also, if you’ve never worn varifocals before they can take a little bit of getting used to. Don’t give up on them just because they’re not working for you right away.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31969
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2863
    Danny1969 said:
    sev112 said:
    Danny1969 said:

Get your eyes tested in Specsavers or similar and they will give you your prescription. On there is the values needed for close and distance reading per eye. 

I chose titanium frames and varifocal lenses and they were £42 delivered. These are the best glasses I've owned, the frames are very thin but so strong and the lenses don't seem to need constant cleaning like glasses I've had from Asda and such. 

When you configure the glasses the price will look twice what it is but when you checkout the discount is applied. Sign up before you order as then you get the deals emailed to you and you can track your order. If you just check out as a guest you can't 
    Prescriptions won't give the measurements needed for varifoclas as they differ for every single frame, and that's the theoretical problem with online.  My most recent ones by a mainstream I've used for over a decade were binned by them immediately I tried them, they took more measurements and made another pair
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
    Spectacle wearer from 18. Specsavers recommended varifocals about ten years ago. Never had difficulty playing my instrument. 

I tend to get larger/aviator style frames so I can see as much as poss at all times. 
  • oldfoxyoldfoxy Frets: 39
    Spectacle wearer from 18. Specsavers recommended varifocals about ten years ago. Never had difficulty playing my instrument. 

I tend to get larger/aviator style frames so I can see as much as poss at all times. 
    This. Never had an issue with varifocals from specsavers. Don’t compromise on the cost, you’ll wear them every day in any situation…….