I'm finally getting a dog!

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12524
    ^^ That picture is worth 1000 (pissed-off) words :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 501
    I don't really want this to become a "help train my puppy" thread...really just looking for opinions on this one.

I've been looking at improving Layla's crate training as, if I want her to be able to come into the office with me occasionally, I need her to be able to settle quickly and be happy in her crate for at least a couple of hours at a time.

So, I've been looking at some training schedules and almost all of them have the pup in the crate for what seems like huge amounts of the day.  One worked in three hour cycles - out for toilet at 6am, training and play until 6:15, supervised "free" time until 6:30, back in the crate until 9am, rinse and repeat throughout the day until bedtime at 6:30pm and then just do 3 hourly toilet breaks.

Is this really a reasonable schedule?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4708
    Remember you have a puppy, but one that will quickly turn into a lazy bum like all Bassett's. Give her the freedom a puppy deserves. We've never create trained any of our dogs. They soon get bored and go to sleep if you don't give them attention when you are working. Just give it all a bit of time, the world is still so new to the little one.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom