Lenses for Leica M

What's Hot
dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5903
After @giomaiele’s recent thread about getting into the Leica world……

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/267105/experiences-with-leica-cameras/p1

…… it seems I NEEEEEEED to have an M8 in my life. I was saving for the X100vi as my playtime camera but the lure of such a stripped back camera and the look and feel of Kodachrome is just the right balance to my working life of tech and precision. 

My only experience of the Leica world was my first job out of school, in a vintage camera shop, so I have absolutely no idea what’s what in the current lens world. 

My budget isn’t going to go anywhere near the high end Leica stuff and maximum sharpness isn’t really what I’m looking for. Something that renders well but also in the vintage style of that CCD sensor would be great. I think I’d like to end up with lenses around the 28mm, 50mm and 75/90ish but the 28mm will be what I’d like to start with. The fairly standard ‘street’ style 35mm view with the crop. 

So, I know there are Voightlander and Zeiss in the middle ground and then the new crop of Chinese offerings from TT, 7Artisans and Laowa. I do want something that performs well but most importantly, what have you knowledgeable folks enjoyed using the most? 

Sorry for the rambling there  :3
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2714
    Voigtlander ultron 28mm with the crop sensor will perform well. 35mm color skopar is a classic, so are the 35mm noktons. I’ve not tried the Chinese ones. Other options a notch above from Cosina Voigtlander are Zeiss 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1465
    For many, a 35mm F2 Summicron has long been the standard lens for a Leica M. You can't really go wrong with one though I personally drifted to a 28mm as my standard lens. Second hand I think you can get a 35 ASPH (aspherical for those not familiar with the Leica jargon) copy for around £2K but new, I think they now sell for £3K-ish (In the mid-2000s, the lens was £895 new). The Voigtländer lenses are just as good really (at least for the purpose of taking photos) for a lot less money.  
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1465
    Just realised you are talking about using with an M8. Yes, a 28mm is probably what you need. A second hand 28mm Elmarit F2.8 ASPH is a good bet. I had one when I had an M8 and it is an excellent lens.
  • giomaielegiomaiele Frets: 20
    I am sorry I brought this curse upon you brother ! :,D
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5903
    giomaiele said:
    I am sorry I brought this curse upon you brother ! :,D
    Yeah, you wait till I see you!!! ;)

How’s your journey going? 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    Ever since that other thread, YouTube has been throwing at me lots of Leica videos…M8 does look good value but if I were to get one…it would have to be the M240 but double the cost though.
    Ever since that other thread, YouTube has been throwing at me lots of Leica videos…M8 does look good value but if I were to get one…it would have to be the M240 but double the cost though.
    For the live view? 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    dazzajl said:
    For the live view? 
    Mostly for the FF aspect.
    dazzajl said:
    For the live view? 
    Mostly for the FF aspect.
    Ahhhh, of course. 

And the M9 can be a risky proposition 
    Well……. An opportunistic grab on eBay from a very lovely snapper means incoming now is a flawless looking M8, with a Zeiss Biogon 28, extra battery and leather case, all in minty boxes too. 

Thank you all for the helpful advice. 

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2714
    Amazing, congratulations. That's a seriously nice bit of kit and in sliver too, a classic colour.
    Amazing, congratulations. That's a seriously nice bit of kit and in sliver too, a classic colour.
    Thank you. The colour was chosen by the fact that it was a total bargain but I do love it. 

The usual ‘oooops I’ve overspent’ gear listings will appear tomorrow  :3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jackiojackio Frets: 148
    I have that lens and it's my favourite. 35ish mm equivalent, really fun to use and produces lovely 'feeling' pictures
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7507
    Very cool! I really like rangefinders, until they need recalibrating anyway. It's a really nice way to take a photo, and the shutter sounds from leica cameras is always just *chef's kiss*.

I do wish they had crop sensor lenses (I think m mount lenses are typically for a 35mm sensor so they work on film cameras) but the lenses are so small anyway it doesn't matter that much. It is odd how expensive they are, but the results are very good, and ultimately it's a niche market so the price goes up.

Happy snapping! 
    I think it’s just been a week since this peculiar little camera arrived and I’ve been so busy with shoots I’ve not had much time with but I already know I adore it. The perfect antidote to the tech filled world of work life. The 28mm is a lovely starting point but already I’ve been pondering what might be next? I think a 50mm would be the nicest addition and wow!! I’ve never known a choice with so many options. Talk about a crowded market segment and option paralysis. It will almost certainly come down to the first major bargain to show up when the time is right. 

Anyway, a few snaps around the house and yard from the last few days from the 28mm Biogon. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom