What would you do with this guitar?

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17872
in Guitar tFB Trader

I've had this guitar for about 18 months now and I don't know what to do with it.

It's a 1979 Les Paul Pro Deluxe which for those who don't have infinite knowledge of obscure Gibsons means P90s, Ebony Fretboard and a Maple neck. 

Pluses:
  • It is the best sounding guitar I've ever owned (and I have a DGT and have owned various custom shop things) 
  • I think it's pretty much the coolest guitar that ever traded on the forum
  • Ebony fretboards feel lovely and aren't that easy to come by on guitars that aren't insanely expensive
  • The worn down finish on the neck feels completely amazing
Minuses:
  • It's back breakingly heavy - I'm in my mid 40's and even with a comfort strap I can't play it standing up without it causing me hours of pain later (It's probably 10lb+)
  • The frets are very low and though it plays nicely up and down the neck I like massive frets and it's going to need a refret at some point
  • The bridge pickup is a noiseless SD which is fine but a bit lacking in character and the neck which is lovely, but a bit noisy for recording

Options:
  • Sell it - I have 3 really lovely electrics, I no longer gig, and I don't play that much. The DGT can basically do everything. It would unlock ~£2k (which I don't especially need for anything else) which is a lot to have locked up in some wood.
  • Replace it with something else -  I could probably trade it for a 50's Standard, but I expect mine would sound and play better and definitely look cooler. A custom shop would require putting in another £2k. I could go for a @FelineGuitars ;, @Corvus ; or something else, but again I don't really "need" 3 guitars
  • Tweak it - Research indicates weight relief isn't something I want to invest in, but it would be good to get @Corvus to refret it with massive stainless frets and get some of @OilCityPickups new noiseless P90's if I'm going to keep it

So what would you do... 

BTW it's not in the classifieds as I don't want to waste anyones time, but if anyone does want it or have a trade idea then give me a shout.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27931
    Do you need to play it on a strap?

If you're going to be playing sitting down, then the weight is less of a problem (although it doesn't go away completely), and you can resolve the other two negatives quite easily and keep a guitar that you obviously enjoy.

If you need to play it on a strap, then the weight isn't going away, so I'd stick it up and see if it sells.  Things are slow atm, so a sale at an acceptable price isn't a given.  If it sells, then you can decide to buy something else, or not.  Keep the cash separate for the day when something else grabs you.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • gatheredinsonggatheredinsong Frets: 678
    edited June 8
    As you are not gigging, I think this depends on whether you are happy playing and recording with it sitting down? If so, sounds like a great guitar with potential to be very loved, so the refret and new pickup are probably worth the investment for some years of enjoyment. Those are some great pluses  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14743
    Keep it.

Definitely change the bridge/Treble pickup. Stacked coils P90 replacements suck.

Talk to Ash about your requirements. Things might need tweaking to compensate for the ebony and maple brightness.

Seymour Duncan Silencer P90s are another triple coil design.

Kinman are supposed to be good. (Never tried 'em.)

Fishman Fluence are worth checking out. I don't think much of Voice 3 but, in a studio, it could prove a useful variation.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4678
    There's a simple way to make it about four ounces lighter... ;)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23575
    It sounds like the only real minus is the weight - which would be a big minus for me too - but if it's not too uncomfortable to play sitting down, I'd keep it and go for the refret and pickup change.

I can't see much point in replacing it, unless you just want another guitar, but it sounds like you don't, particularly.

It does look extremely cool!
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12506
    There's an easier option.

Give it to me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27692
    My first instinct is firebird pickups and a refret. 

But also there's no shame in moving something on that doesn't add value to your life if that's the case. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    You don’t need the money. I’m guessing you don’t need the space. Why not keep it until you can swap it for something you’d rather have.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5436
    If the biggest issue is the weight, go down the gym and stop being a pussy :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14750
    tFB Trader
    First - Have. good re-fret - You say you like your DGT so either choose a set of 6100's but to me 6150's (as found on many PRS Guitars) are the #1 choice - A good re-fret IMO will lift up such a guitar no end - You can then take it from there after to see if other current negatives remain - I know you can't do anything about the weight - But get it playing well first

Rarely do I come across a Gibson Guitar that doesn't play better after a good re-fret, especially those from the 70's and 80's - Those rail track frets are putrid IMO - Don't worry about the nibs, just re-fret over the binding - Accepted by most players inc JoBo

Maybe a bit of a trek for you to Feline, but well worth it and I'd be amazed if you didn't thank him and me after

I'm familiar with such a guitar - Sold a few over the years - Whilst you don't see many P90 based guitars with an ebony board, they are nice and well worth the investment of a good re-fret - the ebony board will always give you a slightly brighter tone than an equivalent rosewood model - Looking back at your original notes, I'd not choose S Steel frets, as they tend to be brighter than nickel, so that coupled with teh ebony board will be a bit OTT IMO - Chat to Jon/Feline about it

Then when you get it back look at p/up changes - If you go down that route then put a new/better loom in at the same time
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17872
    tFB Trader
    Snags said:

It's nothing to do with that.

I have some kind of trapped nerve in my shoulder. Playing on the strap for a few minutes will result in hours of pain later on. I could probably have some physio for it.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    edited June 8
    You say its the best sounding guitar you've ever owned, but you then say the bridge pickup lacks character?  Seems a bit of a contradiction? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Definitely keep it and get a re-fret and pickup upgrade. You've already admitted you love the way it sounds and you think it's the coolest guitar you've ever got on here. Sounds to me like you'd massively regret it if you sold/traded it.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2504
    I'd refret it, replace the bridge pickup, and play it sitting down while I got some physio to actually treat the shoulder problem
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4298
    Keep it  or swap it for 2 Ibanez & a jackson which I happen to have :) 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    I wouldn’t fit stainless steel frets as it would drastically change the tone of the guitar, Sunbear make lovely P90’s as do Oil City and maybe fit locking bridge studs 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27692
    Snags said:

I have some kind of trapped nerve in my shoulder. Playing on the strap for a few minutes will result in hours of pain later on. I could probably have some physio for it.
    I’d do the physio anyway just because that sounds like the sort of thing that’s probably quite fixable! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5436
    Snags said:

Ah, that does change things somewhat. I'd suggest obscenely strong drugs, but that will likely affect the playing too.

Hope you get it sorted. IME it's best to deal with it sooner rather than later. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23575
    edited June 8
    People always talk about doing physio, where do you find these physiotherapists?  I've never seen a physiotherapist in my life, or ever had it raised as a possibility.
  • BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 182
    Snags said:

Would it still be a problem if you put the strap over your other shoulder?