Doom Pedal Shootout at Andertons

What's Hot
earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3507
in FX
I saw this video elsewhere on the forum, but for the doom enthusiasts on this forum (all 3 of us I imagine!) it might be of some interest to you.

Two of the cheaper pedals won more rounds than the more expensive ones.  One of them is an obvious one, the Behringer SF200. It's a Boss FZ2 clone so little surprise, it is the Electric Wizard sound in a box pedal afterall, I need to dig my one out.  

The Tone City Green Matcha Cream won a lot of rounds as well, which I presume is just a micro sized Green Russian Muff. The latter is my favourite pedal for playing doom.  I've got a few different types of Big Muff, but the Green Russian variant is the one I reach for the most.

To the doom enthusiasts here, what are your favourite pedals for playing doom?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 856
    That's a good fun video but if I'm dooming it's gotta be my Doomy 0))) pedal 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 856
    Neilybob said:

It's a Life pedal clone 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3507
    Neilybob said:

Nice. I have a Demiurge Sunn Model T in a box clone. I really should pair it with a Rat sometime! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17872
    tFB Trader
    It was a bit of a pointless shootout as the FZ-2 is the answer even before they started.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    I had watched bits of it. Not really my thing but I found it oddly engaging and there does seem to be a fine line between doom and comical fart noises. I don’t say that to be disparaging about doom metal, it just struck me that if you get it wrong it seems to go very wrong. 
    I thought the Tone City was a bit thin and raspy sounding (in that general company) so I don’t know why it did as well as it did. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 264
    Haven’t watched it yet but will when I get chance. I really enjoy my Acapolco  gold clone I built (from Jeds pecs). One control - loudness! 

I’m gassing for the Life pedal though, might build a clone of it. 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1539
    edited June 9
    I think the "Towers of Doom" have all been covered here. Acapulco Gold, Green Russian, FZ-2, Rat. I'll add a Ringer and call it a day.

Edit: I am partial to the Dano French Toast. Noise!

Dopethrone is wonderful and now venerable enough to be called Classic Rock. WooHoo. Still can't find it on my oldies station though. s
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3507
    nick79 said:
    Haven’t watched it yet but will when I get chance. I really enjoy my Acapolco  gold clone I built (from Jeds pecs). One control - loudness! 

I’m gassing for the Life pedal though, might build a clone of it. 

I've got an Acapulco Gold clone and it has two settings. Off and DOOM!

I've seen some clones of the Life Pedal that have a switch for the octave, I reckon that would make a difference.

GoFish said:
    I think the "Towers of Doom" have all been covered here. Acapulco Gold, Green Russian, FZ-2, Rat. I'll add a Ringer and call it a day.

Edit: I am partial to the Dano French Toast. Noise!

Dopethrone is wonderful and now venerable enough to be called Classic Rock. WooHoo. Still can't find it on my oldies station though. s

I did chuckle at your last suggestion, I'd love to hear Dopethrone after Def Leppard on a classic rock radio station.

I've seen some doom rigs pretty much get incredibly expensive. $4k EGC $5k Model T, etc. Good to see there's a place at the table for some budget options still.
  • maroonedmarooned Frets: 48
    I use one of these when I’m in the mood for some Wizarding weirdness
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1539

I've seen some doom rigs pretty much get incredibly expensive. $4k EGC $5k Model T, etc. Good to see there's a place at the table for some budget options still.

Yeah, if you go for the original Good Stuff, it's starts to add up quickly. Luckily some of the very nastiest fuzz are also the cheapest. Well, probably only the two above, but it's a start.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5129
    In 34 years of playing doom, I've used fuzz twice. Once to overdue the first part of a solo, and once for a verse line. 
    For doom, EQ into jmp  the ultimate.

I like sd1 or tubescreaner in general 

This was v > tech 21 > marshall jmp 2203
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Guv2 into an 800 for my, can't remember if the other guitarist was using a laney for this

Guv2 into jmp 2203 for me, and laney ti for the singer
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 338
    You can’t cheat by playing in a band!

Doom fuzzes can only be truly understood in one’s bedroom. Who needs mids or cut through when you can turn your guitar into a drop-b wall of a-tonal noise?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7022
    @Reverend that sounds epic mate. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 881
    @Reverend that's awesome.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2954
    @Reverend great stuff! Proof that if you can't do it with a Gibson and a loud Marshall then it's not worth doing :) I've never really liked fuzz for doom/stoner bands I've been in, you can't chug properly with it. Occasionally used a Death By Audio Fuzz War for really sludgy sections but I prefer a boosted Marshall.