Les Paul under £600

What's Hot
SteppedOutSteppedOut Frets: 36
I'm in the market for a LP style guitar there is so much conflicting info on the net and YouTube is just a hive of adverts and promos.

So what do you guys reckon?

P90s or humbuckers 
Gold top ideally but I'm open minded ish
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1546
    Humbuckers are more versatile, as in they can be swapped out for any number of different sounding ones, can be split, tapped etc.

p90s can only do the p90 thing, but that's where the magic lies anyway. Or so affaicianados will say.

What sort of music are you looking to play? Jazz? Blues? Metal? Fleetwood Mac?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • SteppedOutSteppedOut Frets: 36
    GoFish said:
    Humbuckers are more versatile, as in they can be swapped out for any number of different sounding ones, can be split, tapped etc.

p90s can only do the p90 thing, but that's where the magic lies anyway. Or so affaicianados will say.

What sort of music are you looking to play? Jazz? Blues? Metal? Fleetwood Mac?
    Blues - three kings Peter green Clapton etc
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4066
    The current Epiphone Les Paul Standard 50s is a good guitar. There’s the Slash models too, also available in Goldtop. Used MIJ Tokai could be possible on a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4693
    Have a look on the sales forum 
    nice mij tokai for sale there for you budget ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14760
    Sire L7 (humbuckers) or L7V (P90s).
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4303
    Can you still get second hand tributes for about £600? I remember getting mine new for about £599  in 2017 . The Goldtops are nice & the black ones . I prefer the standard & the classic though .  
    The current Epiphone Les Paul Standard 50s is a good guitar. There’s the Slash models too, also available in Goldtop. Used MIJ Tokai could be possible on a good day.
    I had one of these a few years ago in the Vintage burst it basically looked and played like the Slash November Burst  I could highly recommend them  I think it had CTS pots ,orange drop caps etc and the flame top looked a million dollars and had a 3d quality to it 
    Alongside Tokai, Edwards make a fine budget LP too. Factor in used examples and your budget should be met. Goldtop may take a little longer to find but they are out there.

I'd lean towards p90s for blues stuff but others better placed can give you fuller answers.

The classifieds here are a good place too keep an eye on. Some nice guitars pass through there.

• theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1577
    Yamaha RS420? Well in budget and there’s some on here for sale. 
    GoFish said:
    Alongside Tokai, Edwards make a fine budget LP too. Factor in used examples and your budget should be met. Goldtop may take a little longer to find but they are out there.

I'd lean towards p90s for blues stuff but others better placed can give you fuller answers.

The classifieds here are a good place too keep an eye on. Some nice guitars pass through there.

I thought those Edward’s would go for around £900 now & Orvilles probably around the same 
    good shout on a Tokai on here although I thought lots of them go for quite a lot now if they have the Gibson style headstock . Fujigen still do some nice Chinese made ones too 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11133
    tFB Trader
    Were I personally buying an LP for blues now I'd go for a P90 one. This isn't because I don't like PAFs, I just think they've been done to death for blues, and P90s are way more flattering for the player and tonally more expressive in the right hands.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Maybe my prices are a few years old now.  I'd guess it's Chinese Tokai, Fujigen, Edwards and Burny. Still some good ones ther,e but a higher Frog-to-Prince ratio most likely.

Tribute LPs are possible for that - I sold a 50s p90 tribute for £600 a few months ago. It was nice, light too.  I'd guess that an MIJ Tokai would be every bit it's equal, if not a step up. But that's just, like, my opinion man :)
  • stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 195
    Also if you got one with humbuckers, you could easily put humbucker sized p90's in it. Epiphone did a gold top les paul in the late 90's and they were generally built well and can be had for around £300. I inherited my fathers, he had his leaned up against a radiator for 10 years in a box collecting dust, neck is still straight and it's nice to play but the pups aren't the best and the pots are crackly. 

I think a late 90's early 2000's korean epiphone les paul is a good bet for the price around £250-£400, then you could just buy a solderless humbucker setup from alegree and just drop them in. 

Also check out the Tokai Love rock and PRS SE 245.

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4066
    Can you still get second hand tributes for about £600? I remember getting mine new for about £599  in 2017 . The Goldtops are nice & the black ones . I prefer the standard & the classic though .  
    That's a good shout. Try Facebook for local bargains...
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4764

MIJ Tokai £600.00  Your question answered and the seller is a great bloke too.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1577
    Were I personally buying an LP for blues now I'd go for a P90 one. This isn't because I don't like PAFs, I just think they've been done to death for blues, and P90s are way more flattering for the player and tonally more expressive in the right hands.  
    WIZZY MC WIZZFACE. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    Definitely worth watching some of the comparisons on The Guitaristas YouTube channel:

Five of the Best Gibson & Epiphone Les Paul's Compared - What are the Differences in Feel and Sound?

https://youtu.be/xqA0UObUpTE?feature=shared

Epiphone 1959 vs Lazarus - Ltd Edition Les Paul Standards - Side By Side

https://youtu.be/4qfOo6FBZW8?feature=shared

Sire L7 Larry Carlton - Tokai Love Rock - Epiphone Les Paul 50's - Side by Side

• mankytommankytom Frets: 286
    90s Gibson Les Paul Studio is a possibility at this price. That would be my bet.. I’ve seen one or two for 600 which I think have been excellent deals 
    ^^^^ The Holy Grail!! That and the MIJ Tokai for my money. Even without p90s.