Shitty technology will be the death of me

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24613
I just thought I'd let you all know in advance that when I die, it'll be because I've burst a blood vessel after exploding with rage at some bit of tech that's been released and doesn't do what it's supposed to.

Linux won't see the wireless network card driver on my laptop.  Easeus Todo Backup don't do a Linux version, REDO refuses to see my 1TB USB HDD.  My Raspberry Pi XBMC media centre won't see my other USB drive ...but it moans like fuck if you unplug it - so it knows it's there, it's just not letting me see it.

XBMC has just downloaded all the wrong pictures for my movies and the Pi is now stuck in a boot-loop.

Tomorrow I'll head off to work in a car that has a one in three chance of seeing my bluetooth phone, and if it does, the first call I make will be useless as they can hear me but I can't hear them.  Then it will randomly lock up and the bluetooth menu on the car dash will be greyed out - unless I get out and disconnect the battery under the bonnet - in effect rebooting the car.  I'll fire up my Waze sat-nav which will tell me I have no network connection at all if I'm only in a 2G area and then get stuck with the speed camera warning on the screen long after I've passed it, needing a restart, then the car itself will announce that there's a fault with the 'anti-rollback system'.

It's all shit.

The problem with today's tech is that it's cheap shit running hastily written, untested and poorly documented software and sold by companies that don't give a rat's ass.

I'm giving some serious thought to becoming Amish.
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    Though it's a bit unreliable every time I use Spotify via Bluetooth on my car stereo it seems slightly magical.

I'm really cutting down on my number of techy things and it is making my life better. 

I don't own a laptop (just use my work one). TV has a Chromecast in it and no other services (including an aerial) and I have an Android smartphone and that's it.

The wife has a tablet and a smartphone. 

Everything I possibly can I do streaming and in the cloud so I'm not pissing about with files. My house is tidier and I feel happier.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When i read the thread title, I presumed you worked for Virgin
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7913
    I've got a Compac PC I bought from PC World after my last self-built PC died, and the only thing I've done is to change the video card when it died.

I use my smart-ish phone for phone calls and texts, and I have a Kindle Fire which I play a few games on.

Other than that I draw maps on a piece of paper if I'm going somewhere new and listen to music etc. through a 30 year old stereo plugged into the PC :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • vizviz Frets: 10762
    Why don't you install a switch between your car battery and the fuse box so you can switch it off and on again from inside?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    @viz it would need a relay. a simple flick switch couldn't take the voltage directly.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10762
    Gah, sorry all. :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Hmmm, I think it would depend on the current it's likely to draw. We're not talking about about huge amounts, so I reckon a switch should handle the power of a SatNav.

Now we've solved the problem, Emp simply needs to crack on and do the job.

:)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    You can all give me your technology if you want. I like it, want it, and know how to use it ;)
    All practice and no theory
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1112
    What car you got? Have a search for a firmware update, quite a few manufacturers have user updatable firmware (eg BMW, Ford etc) for media/BT systems.

What phone you got? BT stack/GPS chips and their implementation vary greatly. If in doubt get an iPhone ;)

• Emp_Fab said:
    I'm giving some serious thought to becoming Amish.
    I think alot of us would support you in that aim, let us know and a few of us can pop round and help you raise a technology free barn ;)

I agree with your point that stuff is shit, but then it's also cheap. So balanced out somewhat?

• LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 939
    edited November 2014
    I have zero issues with my iPhone, iPad, MacBook or Mac Mini. Just sayin' ;) I bought none of it, all work provided but it's a very good ecosystem, it just works when you're fully on board.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12028
    Bin it all, get a mac lol

A more serious point...since they are all designed in house, you will have much less problems with apple stuff in real life.  If you can live with the boxed in ecosystem.  
  • chrispy108;401636" said:

I agree with your point that stuff is shit, but then it's also cheap. So balanced out somewhat?
    Not as cheap as buying none at all?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Emp fab ,I know what you mean. Tech is a real love hate relationship for me.
    Stuff seems to be released in a rush ,and we test it for them.
    Once it is all up and running and stable it is good though. Part of the problem I think os there is a need for marketing new stuff.
    I remember back in the eighties a friend of mine was a research engineer for Fords.
    The marketing men wanted a TURBO car, the engineers said they make a better performance car without a turbo. Guess who won !