DNGD

What's Hot
Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3447
Disappointing new guitar day.

Fairly expensive ‘boutique’ instrument from a well known retailer arrives buzzing and rattling and won’t stay in tune when using the trem. Very disappointing, but does it go back as ‘faulty’ or do I pony up the return cost myself?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2036
    What's rattling?
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2250
    Could it just need a little tweaking / setting up or is there some structural issue ? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 982
    Sorry to hear that :(

I have no idea on the legal aspect of this but my suggestion would be to get on the phone and speak to a human and explain the issues calmly. 

They might surprise you with what solutions they can offer. 

Often the person on the end of the phone is used to people shouting at them about things that are not their fault so when someone treats them as a human being they respond well and help as much as possible. 

I do hope you don't end up having to pay out for this though - that would seem unfair to me. 

Had you tried it in a shop then clearly you wouldn't have bought it.  This shouldn't be any different. 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3447
    edited June 10
    Schnozz said:
    What's rattling?
    Strings action is low but it’s also sitaring at the nut and pinging when using the trem. I think it really needs a load of setup work. Also loads of slop in the fancy tuners :/
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1992
    Schnozz said:
    What's rattling?
    Strings action is low but it’s also sitaring at the nut and pinging when using the trem. I think it really needs a load of setup work. Also loads of slop in the fancy tuners :/
    Could you not get it assessed by a luthier and then take it from there? It might be less work than you think.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4298
    Disappointing new guitar day.

Fairly expensive ‘boutique’ instrument from a well known retailer arrives buzzing and rattling and won’t stay in tune when using the trem. Very disappointing, but does it go back as ‘faulty’ or do I pony up the return cost myself?

Yes phone them & say you’d like to send it back as it is not meeting the requirements of an instrument of its price & stature  people pay boutique prices for top shelf quality and expect no less 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4239
    Schnozz said:
    What's rattling?
    If it was just string rattle then I'd say to give it a few days to let the neck settle, but staring and pinging etc is almost certainly a nut issue. Send it back unless it's a ltd. edition version of something that can't easily be found again elsewhere, otherwise have them repair/pay for repairs.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2036
    I'd try stretching the strings a little as they might have put a new set on for delivery.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27692
    I’m would probably just fix it if I could, but I’m already good at doing that and enjoy it anyway. 

But if you don’t already have those skills it’s worth talking to the shop. If there’s a good tech locally then them covering that is probably better value than sending it back
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14743
    edited June 10
    Schnozz said:
    What's rattling?
    Strings action is low but it’s also sitaring at the nut and pinging when using the trem. I think it really needs a load of setup work. Also loads of slop in the fancy tuners
    Use feeler gauges to measure the clearance of each open string above the first fret.

If the gap is anything .004" or above, all of the issues you describe could be caused by the nut slots (or a knackered zero fret).

For example, if the guitar is normally supplied with tens and you requested twelves or thirteens but nobody took slotting files to the nut, the strings will bind.

Likewise, if the fancy machineheads are less tall than the originals, the floor of the nut slots will need filing to the correct the break angle to prevent binding and pinging.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited June 10
    Nowadays finding a tech is hard going, and those that are free are booked up some time in advance, so it could be months before it’s properly sorted. 

Seems an odd setup on the trem too, and looks like saddle height is almost maxed out.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    is the pubic hair in the nut part of the "boutique" nature of the instrument?
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16945
    prlgmnr said:
    That nut definitely needs shaving ;)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11104
    tFB Trader
    prlgmnr said:
    I was about to say ... you've got a 'short and curly' on your nut! 

Maybe it wasn't plugged into an amp for testing ... but a pubic address system .... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 421
    I think there's someone in Ash Vale who can help out there...
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14743
    edited June 10
    Seems an odd setup on the trem

Well, for starters, the six pivots screws are adjusted incorrectly.

If anything, on a Fender, the outermost two should be lower than the other four.

On a PRS, it is critically important that all six pivot screws are set to the same height. 

If you live a long way from a trustworthy guitar tech, it wouldn't hurt to invest your money in a few tools and a copy of Make Your Guitar Play Great by Dan Erlewine. 

Look closely at the nut slots for the A, D, G and B strings. You should see little white areas where the strings are chewing into the sides of the slots. They need gently rounding out. The top of the nut could do with dressing away. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Yeah it’s not a nice looking nut! The pubes are actually fibres from the case lining, honest!

I was bemused by the trem screws with both outer ones being higher than the others. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    Depends.. 

If the store was one that advertises setups as part of their sale then I wouldnt be paying for a return. 
    You might argue the toss but.. its on them. 

If they didnt include set up then they'll just say its part and parcel of an instrument but at least if it is Andertons they'll arrange the return courier for a reasonable fee deducted from the refund. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12506
    Sorry @Moe_Zambeek but the point where the rosewood f/b meets the maple neck next to the nut is an automatic return for me unless I'm misinterpreting something.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 677
    That is all kinds of shit. Straight back. Money back. Not even close to the advertised standard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom