Attenuator recommendations

What's Hot
chris78chris78 Frets: 9577
Looking for an attenuator that can deal with higher powered amps if need be.

Ive had tone king amps and always found the Ironman to be very good, if slightly compressed at max attenuation.

Anything else I should look at? Ox box? Boss tube expander? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1540
    chris78 said:
    Looking for an attenuator that can deal with higher powered amps if need be.

Ive had tone king amps and always found the Ironman to be very good, if slightly compressed at max attenuation.

Anything else I should look at? Ox box? Boss tube expander? 
    Ive a couple tone king amps..

The iron man attenuator is great but I wish it had an in-between setting. Full attenuator too quiet. The next click too loud. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2450
    I have a Boss TAE and it's amazing - loads of functionality and the attenuator is not a click switch so getting the volume right is easier.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9577
    FarleyUK said:
    I have a Boss TAE and it's amazing - loads of functionality and the attenuator is not a click switch so getting the volume right is easier.
    Thanks- I’ve read both that it’s a good attenuator and a terrible one. Got to love the internet! 
    Any view on whether it preserves tone at lower volume or compresses like the Ironman?
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1210
    Bugera Power Soak? 
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 264
    Fryette Powerstation gets my vote. I think its most likely the best and most useful piece of gear I’ve ever bought. 
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 321
    nick79 said:
    Fryette Powerstation gets my vote. I think it’s most likely the best and most useful piece of gear I’ve ever bought. 
    +1 totally agree
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3354
    nick79 said:
    Fryette Powerstation gets my vote. I think it’s most likely the best and most useful piece of gear I’ve ever bought. 
    +1 totally agree
    +2 totally agree more (although it's not actually an attenuator ;) )
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 967
    Some say it depends on what 'flavour' amp it is, being Marshall, Fender, Vox, etc.
    From personal experience I have owned Palmer, Aracom, Badcat, THD, Ironman, Bugera, Audiostorm, Ultimate, Boss TAE and the Marshall Powerbrake.
       Mostly used through Marshall superleads and my Vox AC50 which is powered by EL34's and gets very close to a Marshall sound anyway.
       As a stand alone organic attenuator the Marshall Powerbrake was by far the best. The Aracom, Badcat unleash and Ironman all affected the tone in some way, whereas the Powerbrake was very transparent.
       And the Powerbrake is great providing you don't attenuate too far, 'cos then the sound gets comprimised. The alternative path is one of re-ampers, whereby the signal is soaked, then re-amped. This way the sound is the same no matter what the volume(with the exception of all the speaker and volume science). I had a Boss TAE and it was brilliant and so many options regarding multiple footswitchable rigs, all with their own EQ, compression, delay, reverb and solo boost, but not as gig friendly as a Powerbrake.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 968
    I had the THD Hotplate with my Rivera Chubster 55, worked a treat
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72977
    I've always found the Powerbrake works best with 'British type' amps, and the Hotplate best with 'American type' amps - more to do with the power stage design than the preamp voicing, I think. I haven't tried a lot of the more recent ones though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1529
    Are the Weber ones any good?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2450
    chris78 said:
    FarleyUK said:
    Thanks- I’ve read both that it’s a good attenuator and a terrible one. Got to love the internet! 
    Any view on whether it preserves tone at lower volume or compresses like the Ironman?
    It sounds to me like it's pretty transparent at low volumes - might be worth getting one from a retailer with a good returns policy and trying it.
  • ZappleZapple Frets: 91
    nick79 said:
    +1 totally agree
    +2 totally agree more (although it's not actually an attenuator ;) )
    +3 for the Fryette and totally agree on probably being the most useful piece of gear I've ever bought too.
  • For pure attenuation I’d happily recommend the Audiostorm boxes. https://audiostorm.uk/ And you’d be supporting a small UK maker too! The Hotbox easily deals with my overly efficient 100w head.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9577
    For pure attenuation I’d happily recommend the Audiostorm boxes. https://audiostorm.uk/ And you’d be supporting a small UK maker too! The Hotbox easily deals with my overly efficient 100w head.
    Very interesting- thanks.
    Looks almost too good to be true at that price 
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 967
    edited June 12
    For pure attenuation I’d happily recommend the Audiostorm boxes. https://audiostorm.uk/ And you’d be supporting a small UK maker too! The Hotbox easily deals with my overly efficient 100w head.
    I used one with my Twin reverb and got some lovely Jack White growl
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • chris78 said:
    Very interesting- thanks.
    Looks almost too good to be true at that price 
    I met the maker at the Bristol Guitar show and like you, was skeptical. Over the years I’ve tried THD hotplates, Palmer, various Two Notes but the Hotbox just works. My amp is too hot for my Captor X so at home I generally attenuate and then run into the Two Notes. Live I’ll just get the amp cooking and then knock it down a bit on-stage with Hotbox.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • -Ed--Ed- Frets: 29
    Where are you using it?

I’ve had a PS2 and TAE. I just have the TAE now as it was better at home. Transparent and the fan spins up when it’s needed and is less intrusive. Both were very good options. 

I don’t need one anymore though as I’ve reduced my amp collection and only kept the ones with excellent MV
  • theterracattheterracat Frets: 15
    +4 for Fryette. I know it is boring to pile on and not offer creative suggestions but it is just so good. As a home player, I could not own and play big amps (such as Marshall 87x) at appropriate levels of output valve cooking without it. Played a Power Brake once and it was... fine. But PS2 does so many other cool things...
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1298
    edited June 14
    I have a Rock Crusher. Quite useful from a practical POV, but never been that impressed with the sound. 
    I'm not convinced attenuators are much use other than for knocking off a few dBs in gig or rehearsal situation. 
    Accept that many people feel otherwise.
    Maybe the Fryette, as that does the re-amping thing if I am right?