To Drink, or not to drink ....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7304
    I tend to not drink until im onstage as it can affect my playing. Depends on the load in times though - If we've been at a venue for hours for an early soundcheck or whatever then I might allow myself one just to quell the boredom as much as anything else. Like to have a can onstage while Im playing though, and definitely one or two after. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3111

I'm usually driving so would probably have a beer before the first set and at the break.  Then there's a few hours before getting in the car. 

You would drink 2 pints and then drive a car?
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 327
    edited June 12
    I don’t drink anymore. Bad behaviour ruined my fun. (I lie, there wasn’t ever much fun.)

When I look back & can barely remember a three-week tour in Germany where I was invited along  by my friend’s band to help with driving, I realise this is the best outcome for me. I don’t even want to think about some of the tours where I was playing & we had a driver: 24/7 drinking (& drugs if I had them).

The last album I recorded, I’d drunk 3 bottles of wine during a 7 hour day double-tracking the guitar parts on 12 songs. Not even sure how I had time to do that.

Without booze, I’ve had to re-learn how to gig & record. Massively low self-esteem & social anxiety leads to crippling stage fright. It’s been a journey discovering who I am & getting used to performance pressure from my own head.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ScreamingDaveScreamingDave Frets: 579
    I don’t drink anymore. Bad behaviour ruined my fun. (I lie, there wasn’t ever much fun.)

When I look back & can barely remember a three-week tour in Germany where I was invited along  by my friend’s band to help with driving, I realise this is the best outcome for me. I don’t even want to think about some of the tours where I was playing & we had a driver: 24/7 drinking (& drugs if I had them).

The last album I recorded, I’d drunk 3 bottles of wine during a 7 hour day double-tracking the guitar parts on 12 songs. Not even sure how I had time to do that.

Without booze, I’ve had to re-learn how to gig & record. Massively low self-esteem & social anxiety leads to crippling stage fright. It’s been a journey discovering who I am & getting used to performance pressure from my own head.
    Interestingly, I believe Eddie Van Halen went through the same thing. He thought he could only play well if he was hammered, and went through quite a harrowing process to get over that.  Respect to you for doing that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1395
    yup. Before you go on stage, swill your nads off. Even on stage. Its a good look to be swigging jack between songs out of a bottle on top of an AC30.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17864
    tFB Trader

Interestingly, I believe Eddie Van Halen went through the same thing. He thought he could only play well if he was hammered, and went through quite a harrowing process to get over that.  Respect to you for doing that

There is an interesting bit in Nile Rodgers book where someone plays him a recording of him playing really badly because he was coked up, but thinking he was really great. 

You think you play better when you've had a couple of pints, but in reality you don't. I've only ever had the one which is more just because I'm in a pub, but I'm aware for some people a bit of Dutch courage is required.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13013
    Sporky said:
    It's not rock and roll if you don't throw up on the drum kit. 
    During one of my gigs a punter once threw up on the bar... 

Does that count? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8841

You think you play better when you've had a couple of pints, but in reality you don't.
    This. Alcohol affects my timing. Maybe not a problem in heavy rock, but very audible when you’re locking into a tight rhythm. I might have a drink as we pack down, but not before or during.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 602
    I tend not to, as I play so many bad notes on a gig normally I want the rest of the band to blame me not my inability to hold my drink. Which I can't. I am, a cheap date.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16339

There is an interesting bit in Nile Rodgers book where someone plays him a recording of him playing really badly because he was coked up, but thinking he was really great. 

You think you play better when you've had a couple of pints, but in reality you don't. I've only ever had the one which is more just because I'm in a pub, but I'm aware for some people a bit of Dutch courage is required.

Pretty similar story by Francis Rossi, struggling to believe how rough the band sounded every night when he had been on various substances. 

I had enough problems placing my fingers in the right place without the blurring effects of alcohol. I also think if someone is paying you to do it then I can't think of many jobs where having a couple of pints inside you is acceptable. Although I realise that many of my favourite musicians were completely pished a lot of the time. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4156
    I don't drink at all during gigs,  in fact I prefer not to spend anything at the pub and take my own can or coke for half time break.  Water after and get the hell outta there ASAP.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2385
    Once drink only about 20 mins before I go on and nothing gassy. Nice feeling.
  • ScreamingDaveScreamingDave Frets: 579
    edited June 12
    Well, that’s the other reason I swig water from a beer bottle is the gas.  For some reason people get offended if you belch into the microphone.  It’s usually the bloody bride’s mother getting all hoity-toity
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6582
    Always driving +  not much of a drinker = never play a gig using alcohol 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3170
    I always work sober, . I may turn up with a hangover .

Festivals is a tricky one but,tend to only drink tea until last band of the day  over then have a few to come down.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31905
    I always take a can of Carling with me (so no unknown alcohol percentages) and that does me really. 

I like one beer to drink while I'm setting up the PA and during the first set, and I'm usually driving anyway. 

I've been in plenty of bands where somebody's alcohol consumption has become a problem, and I've always either fired them or left myself. It's hard work requiring a decent level of concentration at the end of the day. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10521
    For 17 years my main band would gig my local pub, which is a great music pub and get on the beer as soon as we got there more or less. Then at the end of the night we would leave the gear in the pub and the motors in the carpark. Then go back the next day and pick the gear up. I remember the bass player did 13 pints one night and his playing did get a bit off so we set a 5 pint rule for a bit ..... didn't last long though. 
    It's not for everybody, I get that, but we had some great times and the atmosphere was amazing 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7673
    4string said:

...... Also, you want to avoid old man bladder issues mid set…

That was the first thing I thought of as people have spoken of quaffing a few beers on stage.  I'm not playing publicly, but I know that beer would want to run right through me these days, and gone are the days when I could "hang onto it" for an hour.