Van Halen's last album returns to streaming platforms

What's Hot
Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23615
https://blabbermouth.net/news/van-halens-a-different-kind-of-truth-album-returns-to-streaming-platforms

I've never actually heard it.  I bought the CD when it came out but I just couldn't be bothered to listen to it, then when I did get curious I couldn't find it.  It's around somewhere.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1735
    I saw them tour in support this album...  It's pretty good tbh..  I do like the song Tattoo, very catch lyrics.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12360
    Philly_Q said:
    I've never actually heard it.  I bought the CD when it came out but I just couldn't be bothered to listen to it, then when I did get curious I couldn't find it.  It's around somewhere.
    With an unequivocal recommendation like that, how can I NOT listen to it...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1429
    I saw them tour in support this album...  It's pretty good tbh..  I do like the song Tattoo, very catch lyrics.
    looking at the tour history - the last time they played England was '84 Donnington with Roth - and '95 with Hagar.
    And that was it. 
    If you didn't live in US or Canada you were out of luck seeing them on recent tours.

Bizarrely they made the haul down to Australia for a single date in 2013 followed by 3 dates in Japan and err.. rest of the world - that's your lot...
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    CaseOfAce said:
    looking at the tour history - the last time they played England was '84 Donnington with Roth - and '95 with Hagar.
    And that was it. 
    If you didn't live in US or Canada you were out of luck seeing them on recent tours.

Bizarrely they made the haul down to Australia for a single date in 2013 followed by 3 dates in Japan and err.. rest of the world - that's your lot...

Yeah I saw them in Orlando whilst I was there at Disney world..  Kool and the Gang were a great support act too.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3110
    I really liked it tbf. Lots of the material was from their original demos (see below). She's The Woman and Blood And Fire were big standouts for me. I'm currently listening to the Van Halen Rising audiobook and it really shines a light on the yard party and club eras.

;)

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10541
    I really liked it tbf. Lots of the material was from their original demos (see below). She's The Woman and Blood And Fire were big standouts for me. I'm currently listening to the Van Halen Rising audiobook and it really shines a light on the yard party and club eras.

;)

Yeah good album and VH Rising is a good read. Noel Monk's book is worth a read too if you are interested in the business side of things. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23615
    That was one of the things that put me off at the time, reading that there was very little "new" material on the album.  It just seemed weird.  Plus it never seemed like Roth wanted to be there. There was a bit of a bad smell about the whole project.
    Philly_Q said:
    With an unequivocal recommendation like that, how can I NOT listen to it...
    Yeah, I wasn't trying to sell it to anyone. :3  But maybe I'll listen to it now. At least once.
  • dariusdarius Frets: 670
    CaseOfAce said:
    And that was it. 

Mainly because they were absolutely huge in USA and everywhere else they were ‘that band that plays Jump’. I loved them cos they were such a good time party rock band, with the best guitar player and frontman in the world. 

I got to see the Hagar VH every time they played the UK and one missing from your list is playing Wembley stadium. Supporting Bon Jovi. Bah. Says it all about the UK rock scene of the 80s.

ADKOT is a great album. 
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 372
    I had a ticket to see them in the UK a few years ago, then whilst on tour during a warm up a chunk of ceiling collapsed and injured Alex VH arm, they subsequently cancelled the UK leg of the tour.

i was really angry about missing them, and never got a refund either! 

On the upside, I have got a guitar signed by Eddie, thanks to Val. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 829

;)

What I find interesting on the Zero demos, is the way House of pain segues into Running with the devil.
    RWTD, first thing heard on first LP, with siren intro, HOP, last track on last Roth era VH records- and actually (to me ) sounds better on the demo, uses same siren effect, to great effect.
    ADKOT, has some great tracks, and Ed sounds great on it, As is, and Honeybaby are stand out tracks for me.
    Philly_Q said:
    That was one of the things that put me off at the time, reading that there was very little "new" material on the album.  It just seemed weird.  Plus it never seemed like Roth wanted to be there. There was a bit of a bad smell about the whole project.
    Funny you would say that given he speaks the phrase "told you I was coming back, say you missed me, say it like you mean it!" during Blood and Fire. Perhaps it was aimed at a band member as opposed to the general audience.
    My trading feedback

Philly_Q said:
    Funny you would say that given he speaks the phrase "told you I was coming back, say you missed me, say it like you mean it!" during Blood and Fire. Perhaps it was aimed at a band member as opposed to the general audience.
    I wasn't aware of that, I'd guess it may have been double-edged and aimed at different people in different ways!  

I have to say, although I started this thread I'm not a massive Van Halen fan.  I've got nearly all their albums, but I go through phases of loving them and phases where I just can't stand them... a VH song comes on and I have to skip to something else.  I don't particularly favour the Roth era or the Hagar era, they both have their highs and lows.  And they're one of those bands where you often heard a lot about the individual members and the tensions between them... sometimes it's hard to just focus on the music.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1429
    edited June 14
    darius said:
    CaseOfAce said:
    And that was it. 

Mainly because they were absolutely huge in USA and everywhere else they were ‘that band that plays Jump’. I loved them cos they were such a good time party rock band, with the best guitar player and frontman in the world. 

I got to see the Hagar VH every time they played the UK and one missing from your list is playing Wembley stadium. Supporting Bon Jovi. Bah. Says it all about the UK rock scene of the 80s.

yep - that was '95 / Hagar / Balance tour. Wembley (x3), Sheffield and Newcastle - supporting Jovi.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Van Halen didn't tour Europe cos the audience response they got was never as good as the states...?

Reading between the lines I take it Roth is hard work but by the same token he wasn't too enamoured with Van Halen reforming with Eddie's kid along for the ride instead of Michael Anthony - but that was the price of admission laid down by Eddie.?

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    CaseOfAce said:
    Reading between the lines I take it Roth is hard work but by the same token he wasn't too enamoured with Van Halen reforming with Eddie's kid along for the ride instead of Michael Anthony - but that was the price of admission laid down by Eddie.?
    Wolfgang says his dad was going through a difficult time, feeling anxious and uninspired, and wanted his kid there for, effectively, his (Edward's) own wellbeing.  And here I am talking about tensions between the band members again...!
  • ZappleZapple Frets: 91

;)

Blood and Fire has one of Ed's best ever solos in it (imo). China Town is also mental playing wise.  I really liked the ADKOT when it came out, but to my ears the production is a little, clincial/sterile/etc and it's not one I've played a lot in recent years. 

Was lucky enough to see them in 93 (Wembley Arena & NEC), 95 supporting Bon Jovi at Wembley Stadium and 2007 at Madison Square Gardens. The NY was soooooo loud and there was a great/party atmosphere in the bars around the venue into the early hours. That was a trip and a half!
  • Finally. :)
    I have it on CD but it's nice to have it knocking around on Apple Music.
  • sammysabersammysaber Frets: 707
    Philly_Q said:
    https://blabbermouth.net/news/van-halens-a-different-kind-of-truth-album-returns-to-streaming-platforms

Absolutely amazing that's exactly what happened with me - bought the CD when it came out but never opened the case - will try to see if I can find it.
    Bought it because it any EVH album will have some breath taking guitar work, but left it to listen for another day week month year decade because there was a thing about being it based on older recordings, Reviews seem really good.

At least I will have a new and free CD to listen to now !

Best, Sammy