The Lonestar Special. Tell me about it pls!

CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
I notice a couple of these for sale at the moment. Kind of curious about them. I've been rocking my AC30 for the last few years but every time I see these amps a little idiotic lightbulb (somehow inexorably attached to my credit card) goes on in my head.

Here are my questions, in this exact order;

How do they sound? How do they take pedals? What's the gain channel like? How loud are they? How do they sound over a wide range of volume? Are they bright? Dark? Compressed? Where does the midrange voicing sit?

Aware only a select few of you will be able to furnish me with the knowledge I seek!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    I'm going to ignore your more complex questions (since I didn't try all of them, and can't remember anyway) but when I tried it I remember being a bit underwhelmed. I'd been going in expecting to really like it.

Admittedly, I tried it ages ago, and my ear changes all the time so it's entirely possible I'd love it if I tried it now.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    I tried one and loved it - was at a music trade show a good while back but just came away with a good impression of it.

I think compared to all the other Dual Rectifiers etc on display it was subtle and musical

But I never got a chance to compare it to AC30s etc

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 391
    edited November 2014
    I am selling mine so I could be biased but I'll try not to be. 

Both channels have some "magic" whether that is worth owning one or not is up to the tastes of the user, whether he can dial it in etc.
     I think most MB cleans after the LS are inspired by it. 
    The dirt channel is where the greatest potential is although many users complain about it. With gain set low it can do the SRV type blues thing very very well. 
    With gain set high it's a true lead channel, fat and juicy with an old-school vibe to it. It's not good for chunky rhythm, and it likes pedals that can tighten it up like the BB. 
    The 5W single-ended class A is brilliant for home playing. 
    The loop can be as picky as many MB so its level must be dialed in carefully so that it doesn't clip the pedals run through it. It is loud enough for mid sized venues. 
    For my tastes, there's not a clean tone I couldn't get out of it. 
    Cranked a bit, the lead channel is a thing of beauty. 
    If someone likes MB and fender cleans then the LS will deliver in spades.
    If someone likes old-school high gain leads like Santana the LS will deliver too! 
    If someone wants Marshall-y tones they should look elsewhere. 
    Many see the el84s and think they'll get VOX out of it. I didn't find much of that although you could get close in the middy attack but Imho that's because MBs can be inherently heavy in the mids anyway.. 

If you're in the NE you can try mine
  • Cleans are first class - still very 'Fendery' in spite of the EL84 output stage. The reverb is awesome too. There isn't an incredible amount of clean headroom - certainly not compared to the 6L6 version.

The driven sounds are 'medium gain' at best - though I've used a TS derived drive pedal with success to get more from it.

The overall tonality of the drive sounds is heavy in the mids and it has a nice 'fat' character to it.

I've been very happy with mine (I bought it in 2005).
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    Thanks peeps :)

I think that for now, the realization that I'd have to sell my vox to justify the purchase will cool my jets.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7349
    edited November 2014
    I love mine and have owned it for around 7 years or so now.

The only amp I've kept other than a Peavey Classic 20 my late father bought me for my 21st birthday many moons ago. But more so for sentimental reasons of course.

I've sold and traded on every amp but this Mesa LSS and it covers many bases. Agree it doesn't do a 'Marshall' drive, but there are plenty of 'Plexi' in a box pedals for that anyway.

Great cleans and a very great lead tone as well.

For me the various wattages are really useful as it goes between 5 and 35 watts. So you can push the gain or keep it clean depending on your needs /  venue.

EQ sections are very interactive and it takes a bit of getting used to, so start at noon and 'season' to taste.

Great for home, studio and live work. I have used mine for all three for the whole time I have owned it. Mine is heavy as hell as it is the 2x12 version, but I have it on the supplied castors and shove it in a case when I gig with it which is also on wheels.

Runs hot, but there is inbuilt fan (which you can turn on or off) to keep it cool when cranked.