How do I play this!! Stay With Me -Faces help request

What's Hot
mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 322
A band I dep with want to do Stay With Me by The Faces in standard tuning. No problem other than I can’t blinkin’ work out the little keyboard run down after the intro as it goes into the slower part just before the singing starts. All the YouTube lessons and demos I’ve seen seem to miss this bit out.

Anyone got any tabs or vids of how to play this little bit? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    edited June 13
    Are you intending to play it on guitar or piano?

I normally look at live performances where it’s either played differently (this isn’t), or the part might be more prominent in the mix. This video has a camera on the keyboard during the run down, and you can slow down the playback to see the finger movements:

https://youtu.be/6Z-cPTgYNBY

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ScreamingDaveScreamingDave Frets: 580
    We do Stay With Me, but we do it more in the style of the Mary J Blige version that was uswd in The Umbrella Academy and I found it worked better in open G
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27695
    edited June 13
    I love this sort of stuff - easiest is loads of double stops on the D and B strings. Formatting is hard but hopefully this makes sense. 2 hits on each of these shapes. 

x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x 14 - 12 - 10 - 7 - 8 - 7 - 5 - 3 - 2
    x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - 2
    14 - 12 - 11 - 7 - 9 - 7 - 5 - 4 - 2 x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - 0 x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10534
    edited June 13
    You can do it with double stops  ..... try this , use fingers to hit both notes in the double stop equally 

9 9.      77.      55.    22.    33.   22.    xx.  xx
    x x.       xx.      xx.    xx.     xx.   xx     55.  33
    9 9.      77.      66.    22     44.   22.   xx.   xx
     xx.       xx.      xx.    xx.    xx     xx    55.   44                                             

All on the top 4 strings so haven't bothered drawing the A and E strings 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 964
    On the original I think it sounds like simply couplets of notes - e/c# > d/b > c#/a > d/f# > e/g > d/f# > c#/e > b/d
    each played twice…

So on guitar like this - 
    https://youtu.be/knZUT8869Ek?si=YKjzGB0LtUTjiXR7

that live version sounds slightly different. there’s a bluesy note in there. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 7273
    What @stickyfiddle wrote.

We do it in D for the sake of the poor singer’s voice, but transposed what he’s written is spot on.  You could also just do it with single notes on the lower string.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1418
    edited June 13
    Roland said:
    Are you intending to play it on guitar or piano?

I normally look at live performances where it’s either played differently (this isn’t), or the part might be more prominent in the mix. This video has a camera on the keyboard during the run down, and you can slow down the playback to see the finger movements:

https://youtu.be/6Z-cPTgYNBY

crikey - that performance is a mess. Ronnie's guitar has way too much gain on the signal and the whole band are out of time..?
    You can see them trying to find the groove and floundering!  poor monitoring?

Anyway for that part ...yeah - I'd approximate it with descending sixths... or thirds - which is a bit harder? (which seems to be the approach Albert C is doing above). It's close enough for rock and rock. Kick on the boost pedal and make it stand out. 

This is one those instances where you could fixated with a small part of the song and miss the bigger picture of getting the swagger and groove of it down (which seems to have alluded Woody and co. above here!). 
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...