Best small modeller for my use case?

What's Hot
So here's what I want to do. My big board is built around an ES-5, and has two Line 6 M5s that provide reverbs, modulation effects and pitch/whammy stuff alongside dedicated pedals for drives and delays and a couple of other things. Both M5s are frequently in use, and are each in separate loops on the ES-5 meaning they can be in different places in the signal chain. The whole thing is set up to be used 4CM with my amp.

I want to replace the M5s with something more current. The most direct swap would be for two HX Ones, but that costs more than an HXFX(!), which is (at today's price, anyway) about the same as an HX Stomp, which is smaller, and would give me all the modelling stuff as well.

So my current thinking is that I'd like a suitable modeller- HX Stomp, Ampero II Stomp, Headrush MX5 / Gigboard- something like that. I want something that can cover all the effects the M5s currently do, but allows me to use my pedalboard ampless if needed. 

So it needs:
- MIDI IN 
- send/return loop so I can have effects in two different places in the overall signal chain
- wide range of effects including whammy/pitch effects that don't suck
- small(ish) size- two M5s are about 7" deep and about 14" wide accounting for connectors etc., but I can shift things around...
- ideally some flexibility on what the footswitches do so I can assign them to useful things- bypass, tap tempo and preset selection will be via MIDI.

It doesn't need:
- to be the best standalone gigging modeller (although it would be nice to have something that works well on its own for home use)
- loads of footswitches because it'll be integrated with the ES-5 that can handle a lot of what I'd use extra footswitches for already

My gut feeling is to go with the HX Stomp- huge user base, proven track record of updates and new models and a like-for-like copy of all the stuff the M5 has on board, but I'd be interested to hear how the competition stacks up. I'm aware of the Hotone and Headrush units- anyone else making anything comparable?

Or if this sounds like the worst idea you've ever heard and you want to talk me out of it, you could do that too.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27655
    HX Stomp all day long. You could easily put it in 2 loops with a send/return block as well and effectively use it like 2x M5s only with multiple effects possible in each loop. The only thing to be aware of is that pitch effects absolutely chomp through DSP, so you can't always combine them with everything else you might want to use. But it's usually workable one way or another 

I actually just got an H90 to try as well which so far seems extremely good at what it does, but that doesn't do amp sims, so doesn't tick all the same boxes as the Stomp for your purposes. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17864
    tFB Trader
    I have a GT-1000 CORE and that would do the job.
    The Boss effects are very good as well.

Another alternative would be to replace the whole lot with a multi FX that has multiple loops such as a full fat Helix.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 602
    Buy an M9 to replace the two m5’s, then get a toneX or something for the amp less bit? Might be cheaper than getting a Helix stomp. Not quite as an elegant solution, tho.

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5209
    Buy an M9 to replace the two m5’s,

M9 doesn't have the send/return loop capability I want. Only the M13 does, and it's massive. 

I don't really have any complaints about the M5, I just suspect that a newer equivalent will sound better.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2339
    Boss gt1000 core. 

Or something like a helix or lt and use that for everything and put your drives in the loops of the helix.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 619
    Another +1 for the HX Stomp, especially as you are seemingly happy with the M5's. You can also add extra footswiches or an expression pedal to the Stomp cheaply and easily. Add in midi control as well and it really is a very capable unit for something so compact.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9690
    Another vote for the HX STOMP.

All day long.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4223
    GT-1000 Core if you can put up with the interface. The software helps, but I still found it all a bit fiddly. The sounds however really are superb! I’ve now got an IR-2 with some of the same amp and reverb models and that serves my purposes very well :)
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5209

Another alternative would be to replace the whole lot with a multi FX that has multiple loops such as a full fat Helix.
    thomasw88 said:

Or something like a helix or lt and use that for everything and put your drives in the loops of the helix.

Mind says yes, heart says no.

I've arrived at the point I'm at from much simpler pedalboards and I can't quite countenance going to a more-or-less completely "in the box" approach. I get that particularly with the Helix the huge choice of different modelled effects and amps and signal chain flexibility is approaching a point where the "bespoke-ness" advantage of a switcher+MIDI+pedals rig is barely there any more, but it still feels more like home than just one big multi-effect.

Also, not going to lie- there's a certain appeal to the complexity of the current board. The building/rebuilding/planning stuff is definitely part of the pleasure. It is for me, anyway...

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9690
    The HX is dEad simple, and the simpest UI of all the modellers, imho.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27655
    The HX is dEad simple, and the simpest UI of all the modellers, imho.
    Yup. The learning curve is literally like 5 minutes for most functions and then another 10 mins of Google/youtube for things like setting up aux switches, send/return insert, etc. 

I think literally the only thing that annoys me is how lots of models are split between mono, stereo and legacy, simply because I can never remember which bucket everything sits in. But that’s a v minor thing 

Compared with the H90 that’s been sitting on my desk all week it is a breeze…
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires