Best pick/thumbpick I've tried

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 8975
    24mm mate or one inch ... I'm impressed I have a thumb capable as being used for ... er ... rule of thumb :-)
    And mine are just the ordinary ones springs wise ...
    I only bought one initially to try ... now I have several. I was very sceptical ... but for me they are now 'must haves'.
    Thanks for that.  Same sized thumb as mine, down to the mm.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11878
    tFB Trader
    BillDL said:
    24mm mate or one inch ... I'm impressed I have a thumb capable as being used for ... er ... rule of thumb :-)
    And mine are just the ordinary ones springs wise ...
    I only bought one initially to try ... now I have several. I was very sceptical ... but for me they are now 'must haves'.
    Thanks for that.  Same sized thumb as mine, down to the mm.
    Spooky! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2147
    They are actually shaped to fit your thumb like this ... 

Weird isn’t 
    For nearly 50 years now, when I’ve dabbled at it I tried it the other way round- never dawned on me to try it above yet my way never felt right 

looking at S Smith he morphs between a hybrid style with fingers as well - But if thumb pick alone, he has his fore finger pushed tight up to the thumb pick so it functions like a normal pick 
    That's a skinny thumb! Are you eating enough? ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2147
    edited June 16
    I find Black Mountain too thick and harsh sounding but I mostly play acoustic. I also play with rounded ends or rounded picks.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1574
    Thanks for this.  I've ordered their sample pack to try.
    tFB Trader
    They are actually shaped to fit your thumb like this ... 

Weird isn’t 
    For nearly 50 years now, when I’ve dabbled at it I tried it the other way round- never dawned on me to try it above yet my way never felt right 

looking at S Smith he morphs between a hybrid style with fingers as well - But if thumb pick alone, he has his fore finger pushed tight up to the thumb pick so it functions like a normal pick 
    That's a skinny thumb! Are you eating enough? ;)
    Always been a long, skinny streak of piss me .... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6310
    OilCityPickups said:

I really need to visit one of the many nail bars locally and get a false index nail fitted ... have done this before and it worked a treat. 
    I've thought about doing this in the past. How long do they remain in situ once 'installed'? 
    tFB Trader
    JezWynd said:
    OilCityPickups said:

I really need to visit one of the many nail bars locally and get a false index nail fitted ... have done this before and it worked a treat. 
    I've thought about doing this in the past. How long do they remain in situ once 'installed'? 
    I usually bugger them in a month or so ... but I'm a hard player 

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6310
    JezWynd said:
    OilCityPickups said:

I usually bugger them in a month or so ... but I'm a hard player 
    Thanks for the info. I'm a gentle player so they may last longer. Think I'll give it a try. Cheers.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1408
    I find Black Mountain too thick and harsh sounding but I mostly play acoustic. I also play with rounded ends or rounded picks.
    me too, and i struggled to add thumbpick playing to my repertoire because they're all too long. i tried trimming them back but would catch them on the strings. so i'm either a plectrum player or a fingers player. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    bbill335 said:
    me too, and i struggled to add thumbpick playing to my repertoire because they're all too long. i tried trimming them back but would catch them on the strings. so i'm either a plectrum player or a fingers player. 
    I found that initially, but as I got used to it I adapted ... 

• bermudianbritbermudianbrit Frets: 176
    I'm a Tommy Emmanuel and Brent Mason fan so I really need to try these.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13906
    edited June 24
    OK, mine arrived a couple of days ago.  Fits well, pick feels more or less the correct thickness.  I must admit I'm having some difficulty in adjusting to it however.  I'm used to either a plec or using an overgrown thumbnail and this is sitting uncomfortably between the two.  Given I've gone almost 50 years without using a thumbpick I guess I'll need to re-educate my style to accomodate one.  Old dogs, new tricks...
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1574
    I got their selection pack and I like them.  You are right with your choice, that is my favourite too.  On sis sting acoustic, you can hear the differences.  I wanted to like the red one better, as it looks more interesting than grey.  The blue is a bit light for 6-string but does sound good on a 12 string, so I'll probably use that one too.  I hated the jazz one!  I thought at first it was damaged, but I guess I really don't like short picks (then again, I'm not a jazz player).
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 400
    Oh this could get expensive...having ended up poking round their site after reading this thread, both the slide ring and volume pedal have me reaching for my credit card...
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 660
    I've been looking at these for months now. Might have to actually buy some now. My nails are useless so I'm very much pick or flesh.