Recommend me a Smartphone

What's Hot
SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2043
I previously had a OnePlus 3T that I liked for the smaller size, weight and battery life, but the 'selfie' camera didn't work.

I now have a Samsung A52 that I like for the camera, which is excellent, but it's big, heavy and I'm forever charging the thing.

What do people recommend as bang for buck?

I essentially use the thing for calls, texts, photos and maps. I don't need to know my heart rate, watch TV, play games and all the other unnecessary guff.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29170
    Whichever one I've got.

(summary of every post to follow) 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3362
    I have an iPhone 15 but won’t be recommending it.

Motorola G84 will suit your needs I reckon and you’ll be more than happy with every aspect when compared to the a52. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15879
    whenever I need a new phone I hang around a local school and see what all the kids are using. Then I wait till I can get one isolated from the herd and nick theirs. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5908
    If I didn’t benefit from being in the Apple system I’m pretty sure I’d get a Samsung. Everything they make is top draw and fairly priced. 
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 621
    VimFuego said:
    whenever I need a new phone I hang around a local school and see what all the kids are using. Then I wait till I can get one isolated from the herd and nick theirs. 
    Erm, I guess this is a joke right?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 621
    I've been happy with a Pixel 7, one behind the latest version to save some dosh as I don't need.a big tarrif. I've had version 3, 4 and 6. They age well, I pass mine down to the other half who doesn't care about tech. 

They have 10 years sorry now apparently (doubt they'll last that long tbh).

Stock android so no bloat and fast updates.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2038
    notanon said:
    VimFuego said:
    No. Vim is completely serious and feels comfortable around us all after so many years that he's happy to post it on the internet.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2038
    Pixel 7 here. Great value, fantastic camera, solidly built and everything works. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29170
    I also have a Pixel 7. No bloat, good camera. Before that I had Moto Gs - again, no bloat, but the cameras weren't great.

Lady BMcH has had a series of Samsung Galaxys, usually one or two generations behind the latest, and is happy with them.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15879
    Chuffola said:
    notanon said:
    VimFuego said:
    No. Vim is completely serious and feels comfortable around us all after so many years that he's happy to post it on the internet.
    amazingly I still pass enhanced DBS checks and they let me work, unsupervised, with children, vulnerable adults etc. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 748
    recently got a Samsung s23 ultra from Backmarket (, reconditioned and in as new condition  saving a lot of dosh and a little bit of planet.  They have a good selection so well worth a look.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 669
    notanon said:
    VimFuego said:
    Must be. They don’t have phones anymore. They have chips in their brains now.
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 444
    Seconding the Motorolas. Cheap, generally reliable and they don't go overboard on the bloatware.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1615
    I'm a big fan of oneplus. Great value. My last one i got second hand and had it 4 years before the battery got a bit iffy.

Just got a one plus nord for £400 and it's great. No bloat ware etc.

Are there better camera, yes I'm sure there are but they are more cash. 

OnePlus Nord 3 5G (UK) 16GB RAM 256GB Storage SIM-Free Smartphone with 50 MP Triple Camera + OIS - 2 Year Manufacturer Warranty - Tempest Grey https://amzn.eu/d/embicuy
  • Dav275Dav275 Frets: 307
    edited June 16
    My usage is similar to the OP, and I don't like the trend to ever bigger screens and more bells and whistles than needed. I also want it to fit reasonably in a pocket.

I've gone for http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BM9R92BW/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0BM9R92BW&s=electronics&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw

Cheap, rugged and good battery life.  Very satisfied with it.

(edit for link)
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24694
    edited June 16
    Vim in action recently....

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • froglordfroglord Frets: 52
    Benm39 said:
    recently got a Samsung s23 ultra from Backmarket (, reconditioned and in as new condition  saving a lot of dosh and a little bit of planet.  They have a good selection so well worth a look.

Seconded. I got a refurbed S21 from Backmarket earlier this year. Compact, perfect screen, excellent cameras, fast ... and £192.
    Backmarket guarantee at least 85% battery capacity, and if you choose 'good' or 'excellent' quality, they also guarantee no scratches on the screen.
    While there are refurbs of this quality, this cheapskate is never going to buy new again.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28006
    edited June 16
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    Schnozz said:
    I previously had a OnePlus 3T that I liked for the smaller size, weight and battery life, but the 'selfie' camera didn't work.

I now have a Samsung A52 that I like for the camera, which is excellent, but it's big, heavy and I'm forever charging the thing.

What do people recommend as bang for buck?

I essentially use the thing for calls, texts, photos and maps. I don't need to know my heart rate, watch TV, play games and all the other unnecessary guff.
    Seems like we have pretty much the same taste in mobile phones!

I had a OnePlus 3: https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_3-7995.php and a Samsung Galaxy A52s: https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a52s_5g-11039.php which I’m still currently using and am happy with.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7507
    I have a pixel 7 and like it. Ladyprettydamned has the pixel 8a and also likes it.

Pixel 7 camera doesn't like to focus very close, but it's fine otherwise. Not sure on pixel 8a. 

A friend has a folding phone and it's super cool. I think she gets excellent better life because only a small bit of the screen is used a lot.