Opamp Muff Clones?

What's Hot
pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
in FX
Any suggestions for wallet-friendly Opamp Big Muff clones? I invariably just return to using two channels on an amp, but still mess about with pedals occasionally. I fancy scratching a Smashing Pumpkins itch (have done for thirty years), but know it won't last. Hence th desire not to buy a genuine article.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1303
    Not like the EHX Muff Op Amp reissue is expensive. Why not just get that instead of looking for a clone?? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6834
    I have a spare EHX op amp muff if you need one. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
    @LionAquaLooper @merlin I'm just tight and don't want to spend more than £30 for something I may only use three times
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1230
    There's a guy on Ebay called websmurfer that does all kinds of Big Muffs starting at £26.
    Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2404
    There's a guy on Ebay called websmurfer that does all kinds of Big Muffs starting at £26.

Agreed, his pedals are great (and the prices are nuts, I dunno how he makes any money at all), but I have a bad feeling that an ICBM Big Muff isn't one of them, unfortunately. (Check to be sure, just in case I'm wrong! He does virtually every other variant of the Muff...)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7214
    I use one of these

Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • ShipwreckShipwreck Frets: 65
    Not markedly cheaper but the MadeByMike IC Big Muff is pure Pumpkins
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 790
    edited June 21
    I get you're trying not to spend money, but if you get the EHX one for £50 (used), it'll be worth £50 down the line when you've not used it and decide to flog it!! The clones won't be...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Dave_Mc said:

Agreed, his pedals are great (and the prices are nuts, I dunno how he makes any money at all), but I have a bad feeling that an ICBM Big Muff isn't one of them, unfortunately. (Check to be sure, just in case I'm wrong! He does virtually every other variant of the Muff...)
    I asked him and he doesn't. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I get you're trying not to spend money, but if you get the EHX one for £50 (used), it'll be worth £50 down the line when you've not used it and decide to flog it!! The clones won't be...
    I'm coming to the conclusion that this may be the best option.

I've fallen into the Mosky, Joyo et al rabbit hole about Opamp Muffs (and Rats) and its hard to cut through the BS and GAS when YouTube channels have poorly recorded amplifiers or are sponsored by the products they are testing.
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1303
    I have the EHX Op Amp reissue. I fully trust I won't have a problem selling this on one day (if I ever do). Trust me you won't regret it. 
  • rhinofeetrhinofeet Frets: 120
    +1 for websmurfer. Don't think they do an op amp muff but the build quality feels better than ehx and the few I have bought have been great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2404
    Agreed- if it doesn't break! I think there have been a lot of complaints on here about EHX build quality (I haven't had any problems myself, though I haven't exactly been taxing mine with light home use.)
    Dave_Mc said:

I asked him and he doesn't. 
    Thought so, that's a shame :( I got a not-much-dearer Op-amp one from Svaha who also sold on Ebay, but unfortunately he doesn't seem to make pedals any more, at least that I can see. 
    rhinofeet said:
    +1 for websmurfer. Don't think they do an op amp muff but the build quality feels better than ehx and the few I have bought have been great.
    That's my feeling too- I haven't tried the EHX reissues, but I've got the Nano Big Muff, and (from memory, I need to hoke it out to compare, so don't quote me on this!) to my ears the couple of websmurfer ones I have (the triangle and ram's head) sound way better than the EHX. Granted, I suspect the EHX reissue ones probably sound better than the Nano- the Nano does sound a bit middling, I only really got it to have "the real thing" (I got it before the reissues were released). I suspect my Biyang Muff sounds better! (Though I don't trust its build quality.)